Apple iPhones: losing direction?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
With the latest batch of offerings from such as Sony, Samsung, HTC et al, Apple must have noticed that they have been somewhat overtaken.

Larger crisper screens, faster processors, innovative features, and of course an ability to take memory-upgrades via cheap micro SD cards, which bizarrely Apple has never seen as an important consideration.

Watching a video of Sir Johnny Ives telling us how brilliantly crafted they are is no longer cutting it.

If they don't realise all this, then it's surely corporate suicide. iPhones, ipads and ipods are the mainstay of their business, because their computers have always been (and are likely to remain) minority-interest products, so with the former they need to stay ahead to survive.

What's their next move?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
an ability to take memory-upgrades via cheap micro SD cards, which bizarrely Apple has never seen as an important consideration.

HTC have dropped this now as well, irritatingly, especially as they don't offer the 64GB One in the UK, I'm already full on my current 32GB SD card, so I don't see how I can go for the One, even though it's the One (muwahaha!) I really want.

A

Anonymous

Apple charge £100 per 16GB of additional memory so won't be providing a micro SD card slot anytime soon.

I agree though, while many iPhone users are probably more than happy with their phones, many others are bored of the OS and want a bigger screen.

I think Apple's marketing has been unbelievably good in the past and many people will blindly want one, plus they do make beautiful, desirable products, but the competition offer more for less IMO.

Apple need new ideas!

Juzzie Wuzzie

For what it is worth, I'd prefer a simple iPhone - smaller, longer battery life, that does the basics well. I like a smart phone, but don't need everything on it. I may even return to a £15 Nokia and carry an GSM iPad mini with me.

But I see your point - if you are going to lead a class (i.e. fully functioned smart phones) iPhones could be seen to be lagging.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AirPlay - iPhone - iTunes - iPlayer...

It all just fits together nicely for me and works how i'm used to.

I'm no 'blind' Apple devotee though.

If they had left the new iMacs with a built-in optical drive, then i'd have bought a new one by now. They didn't, so I will keep the old iMac (Snow Leopard) until it becomes untenable/not supported/dead etc. then replace it with a good laptop.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
But I see your point - if you are going to lead a class (i.e. fully functioned smart phones) iPhones could be seen to be lagging.

Yes exactly. When I bought my iPhone, it could be argued I paid a premium for it being a boutique designer product, but in terms of the actual phone itself, compared to the competition I felt it was pretty-much up there with the best. Can't say I feel the same about the iPhone 5. And I'm not alone. Looking around my office two years ago, iPhones were the dominant product on people's desks. Not so now.

To get back on top, iPhone 6 needs to be something which will make the S4, One and Sony look like toys. Not enough people will be swayed anymore by the promise of it being a beautifully-made but under-spec'd jewel.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
For what it is worth, I'd prefer a simple iPhone - smaller, longer battery life, that does the basics well. I like a smart phone, but don't need everything on it. I may even return to a £15 Nokia and carry an GSM iPad mini with me.

This is something i have been thinking about to, a cheap pay as you go phone with an GSM iPad

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Yes exactly. When I bought my iPhone, it could be argued I paid a premium for it being a boutique designer product, but in terms of the actual phone itself, compared to the competition I felt it was pretty-much up there with the best. Can't say I feel the same about the iPhone 5. And I'm not alone. Looking around my office two years ago, iPhones were the dominant product on people's desks. Not so now. To get back on top, iPhone 6 needs to be something which will make the S4, One and Sony look like toys. Not enough people will be swayed anymore by the promise of it being a beautifully-made but under-spec'd jewel.

I do not think Apple are to play that game who has the biggest cpu, screen, memory

Yes they may bring out a larger sreen phone or a so called cheaper replacement for the iPhone which will bring it upto date with the lightning connector but still have the 3.5inch screen

I think you going to find slimmer/lighter phones with a better build quality and things like in the future full room wireless charging and even things like finger recognition on its start button (for example) A good quality camera witha good battery life.

As for memory it will be a thing of the past with Apple because if you didn't notice in WWDC 2013 you should have access to all of your iTunes TV and Films with iOS7 so the future looks like streaming to me

John Duncan

chebby said:
RodhasGibson said:
John Duncan said:
MajorFubar said:
Apple iPhones: losing direction?

I understand that Maps will be much better in iOS7.
My your'e on form today JD, btw have you finalised the eurostar website now? looked very tidy last time I looked ;)

Oh good grief! Was thinking of travelling on that later in the year.

And I think you'll find it works rather well.

EDIT - this is the desktop version only, we haven't rebuilt mobile.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What is often overlooked with an Apple iPhone is that is will last for years and years much like their computers. The service providers offering constant upgrades means that people don't get to experience this longevity which is a part of the quality of any Apple device. I’m still on the 3Gs...

I prefer a smaller phone. A friend pulled his phone out in the pub the other night and I thought he looked a bit of a *** as the phone was so big.

The iphone does all that most people want it to and having read (since I got the model I have) that working conditions in the iPhone factory is very poor due to the high demand for new phones, I thought I would just keep mine and make do.

D

Deleted member 2457

I like my 4s, I think the 5 is too big! I would like a better camera and brighter screen in the future, which brings me on to my next point. In the future iPhones will get slimmer - much slimmer!

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If you look at Apple's new Macbook air then things normally filter down the line so things like faster flash and wireless 802.11ac will become standard on all Apple products, and looking at the improvement in battery life and keeping the same weight as the old 2012 model Apple obviously have made improvements to battery life.

If it is the case just the improvements to battery life will be a big step over its competitors

Paul.

Pete68 said:
What is often overlooked with an Apple iPhone is that is will last for years and years much like their computers. The service providers offering constant upgrades means that people don't get to experience this longevity which is a part of the quality of any Apple device*

* except for the home buttons

fixed it for you :)

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
I like my 4s, I think the 5 is too big! I would like a better camera and brighter screen in the future, which brings me on to my next point. In the future iPhones will get slimmer - much slimmer!

And they will fold up!
smiley-wink.gif

Paul.

gel said:

i think the 5 actually feels smaller than the 4/4s in the hand due to it being the same width but slimmer and lighter. It's a bit of a stretch for one handed use to the top of the screen, but its workable. The screen I found much nicer than the 4s because the glass itself is much thinner, it feels like you are touching the pixels rather than pixels buried under glass. It's also much better at handling harsh sun than older iPhones and my work S3.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:
gel said:

i think the 5 actually feels smaller than the 4/4s in the hand due to it being the same width but slimmer and lighter. It's a bit of a stretch for one handed use to the top of the screen, but its workable. The screen I found much nicer than the 4s because the glass itself is much thinner, it feels like you are touching the pixels rather than pixels buried under glass. It's also much better at handling harsh sun than older iPhones and my work S3.
+ 1 on that Paul.

JD, you're right it is great to use,well played mate.

audiodarkness

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree. I have had my iphone 4 for years, its broken on the back and crashes, but I looked at the iPhone 5 and it just didnt seem any better... Well... its 'better' but I just couldnt justiffy signing another 2 year contact for what felt like minimal improvements.

Long story short im sticking to my old iPhone until someone brings out something 'special'. First person to bring out a new smart phone with a battery that lasts 2 weeks get my money!

Paul.

audiodarkness said:
I have to agree. I have had my iphone 4 for years, its broken on the back and crashes, but I looked at the iPhone 5 and it just didnt seem any better... Well... its 'better' but I just couldnt justiffy signing another 2 year contact for what felt like minimal improvements.

Long story short im sticking to my old iPhone until someone brings out something 'special'. First person to bring out a new smart phone with a battery that lasts 2 weeks get my money!

if you want to stick with your 4, the back cover costs about £5 and takes one minute to replace :)

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=271184013959

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
the thing is, unless they totally overhaul the os, not the new pretty skin which they've done in ios7, I mean little things like allowing you to change the default app, it's going to keep lagging behind. However due to apple's ethos, I can't see that happening, and even now, the most die hard apple fans are looking at apple with a sense of bewilderment when they announce a "new revolutionary feature" that's been available elsewhere sometimes for years.

Shame, as I want apple to wow me again like they did with the first iphone. However, I honestly think that without the visionary leadership of jobs, they are just turning in to another standard electronics manufacturer.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Shame, as I want apple to wow me again like they did with the first iphone. However, I honestly think that without the visionary leadership of jobs, they are just turning in to another standard electronics manufacturer.

I think you're right, Apple haven't designed anything new since Jobs passed away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts