Apple Airport Extreme as a NAS?...

hopper1

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, or been asked before... I did do a search...

Can my Airport Extreme 2TB be used as a NAS?

If so, how do I need to set it up/ configure it, to work with my system?

I have a MacBook Pro (late 2013) and also a 27" iMac (which is where my main iTune library is stored), backing up to the Airport.

Any help/ advice greatly appreciated.

Paul.

When you say 2tb AirPort Extreme, do you mean time capsule or hd hooked up to the USB ?

you can't use the airport/timecapsule as an iTunes server, but you can have it as designated storage for your itubes on a laptop.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
For all kinds for reasons including speed of access, ease of set-up and generally not putting all eggs in one basket, I'd always put my music collection on a different device to my system/main computer back-up. And no, nothing whatsoever to do with sound quality, before anyone starts! :rofl:

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I bought a tc as a nas. It simply does not work. It is a great tool for backups but will not work as a nas. If you search around on the forum you will find my post somewhere. I just use it for backups and as a 2nd wifi router on my system now. I have bought a nas but don't know how to work it... Still sitting in its box. I bought it from currys/pc world and the assistant told me I would be able to access anything on the tc from my iPad/apple tv. Simply a lot of rubbish. The tc is not designed as a nas. Only backups.

Thanks

John

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Look elsewhere, I haven't checked but I'm prepared to bet you'll get more storage for less money. I use a Lacie 3TB NAS for both music storage, video storage and as a Time Machine for three Macs. No serious problems to report so far, though I've made a remote backup of all my music on another 2TB HDD to avoid the eggs-in-one-basket scenario. Seems a sensible thing to do, considering how long it took me to rip the things (months).

hopper1

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Right, well that just about wraps it up, thank yuo, gentlemen...

I'll sort myself a NAS and keep the Airport going as a WiFi booster and a back up to the system. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts