Apple Airport Express or Apple TV for streaming music

asafchar

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I want to stream music from my iPad, iPhone and possibly from my PC to my hi-fi system.
I planned on buying an Apple airport express, connecting its digital output to a DAC (probably a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100) and from there to my Rotel Amp.

But I heard that many people have issues with the airport express (specifically "skips" using the digital output through a DAC). Does anyone know if that has been solved?

Would using an Apple TV instead of the airport express be a better option?

I only want to stream music and my hifi sits right next to my wireless router so I don't need to extend the range.

Thank you for your insight.

Asaf

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I believe that the Airport Express has a high level of jitter from its digital output, which some DACs find difficult to cope with.

Overdose's advice is sound.

asafchar

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I've heard the analog output of the Airport Express isn't great in terms of sound quality, and that connecting it digitally through a DAC to my amp would produce superior sound. Is that not true?

And since I'm thinking of getting a DAC anyway to use with other devices, would it be safer to pair it up with an Apple TV rather than an Airport Express? Does the Apple TV have less of a jitter problem on its digital output?

Thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Jitter is, or certainly should be a non issue in all modern electronics. The latest Airport Express is perfectly acceptable as a source from its analogue output, but if you are going to get a DAC anyway for use with other devices, the the Apple TV might be a better value option, as you would get video streaming capability also.

jacking

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
You'll be playing mp3's right? With all due respect I think a DAC would be wasted in this set up. What would you expect to achieve as an increase in sound quality would be doubtful? Rubbish in rubbish out.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion here over the jitter output. From the digital out the jitter is a low 258ps which is very good measurement in audio terms and certainly nothing to worry about.
Using the analog the jitter output soars to very high 2800ps. I cant tell you if this is the cause of the difference is sound but the analog out definitely sounds different, but how do you quantify different?
I like the sound of the analog out from the AEX, i've been living with one for a few years now and in between changing dac's i use it for my music. If im honest i prefer the analog from the AEX to cheaper DAC's, it doesn't sound analytical and sterile like cheap Dac's can it sounds warmer and more inviting but not as detailed.
Everyone has a preference and mine is stupidly cheap digital playback or stupidly expensive, read in to that as you will.

TRENDING THREADS