Apple Airplay Bitrate Question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the Denon DNP-720AE which is capable of playing 24/96 FLAC files. The majority of my computer-based music is organised in iTunes on my PC. Currently I can listen to low-res mp3s or ALAC CD imports in iTunes happily via Airplay, lazily selecting tunes from the sofa via the Apple remote.

But if I want to play hi-res FLAC files, I either have to plug a USB stick into the Denon, or switch to 'music server' on the streamer and then locate the FLACs etc...

What I want to be able to do is import the FLAC files to ALAC (I know this is easily achievable), and then stream them via Airplay without the high-res files being downsampled at any point. I've read in various places that, a) iTunes doesn't support high-res files, and b) that even if this were possible, Airplay cannot stream above 16/48.

Anybody know a way to achieve this?

Cheers,

Henry

A

Anonymous

Having a system that is all based on AirPlay; unfortunately you'll not achive it as you've already stated - Airplay is all 16/48

BUT

You could consider a better DAC and have that attached to your Denon to upsample (i.e. MF M1DAC etc...)

A

Anonymous

Upsampling wouldn't 'recover' the lost detail surely?

Is there any chance that Airplay will be upgraded to support higher bitrates at any time soon? There seem to be plenty of rumours that Apple will start making higher resolution files available in the iTunes Store...

A

Anonymous

Not sure whether I can help. But my itunes can play FLAC files by using an add-on called FLUKE. Have you tried it?

A

Anonymous

I've not tried Fluke, but I don't think that it will help as the bottleneck is really Airplay, which it seems is currently limited to 16/48.

I guess for the time being I'll have to accept not being able to play high resolution FLAC files over Airplay. Anyone have any idea if there's any chance that this will change in the near future? Or should I just stop thinking about it!

John Duncan

Personally I'd stop thinking about it. I play most of my music at 320k and don't feel I'm missing out, and there's so little 24 bit music around that if I ever want to play any I deal with it another way (USB or UPnP).

A

Anonymous

Personally I cant see Apple rushing to get everything up to max bitrate etc...

My system has been superb (saying has as I'm looking to go down the active/powered route ASAP but still with a good DAC)

The MF DAC has seriously impressed me in my system with music via ATV2 via AirPlay etc... The depth and bredth of the soundstage really opened up and in a side by side shoot out with my Rega Apollo CDP; the DAC route won for me (however I never did the Apollo into DAC test as the Apollo was sold very quickly)

As JD says; I'd stop worrying about it and get it sorted and enjoy listening to the music :D

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to go the all-Apple route for the time being. Much quicker using iTunes cd ripper than waiting for EAC and it's great to be able to access all songs through iTunes. If there's a quality difference between EAC's ripper and Apple's, I can't hear it through my current set up.

As you suggest John, the few high-res FLAC files I've got will fit on a couple of USB sticks for quick access.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts