Anything better then Naim Nait5i Italic?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Im wanting to upgrade my Harman Kardon 970. I been wanting to do this for a while and finally Iv got the funds :) Im thinking I wanna buy a new Naim Nait 5i Italic amp. The rest of my system is... Naim CD5x/Flatcap2x with Paradigm Monitor 7 V5 speakers. Is there anything else worth considering in this price range? Iv heard the Nait5i original and it was fantastic, so am thinking the Italic must be a good thing....

A

Anonymous

The new Nait 5i is considered as the best in its class by WHF (April 2008) and does indeed sound exceptional. However considering you are using the CD5X and flat cap I would recommend you save a little and go for a pre/power combo NAC 122X and NAP 150X. It will complement the CD player and speakers more and you can use the spare output on you flatcap to poer the pre amp. Will just sound much better for a little more outlay

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Naim Nait 5i is a very good thing. It won our April 08 Supertest of amps in that price class, beating the Cyrus 8vs2, Cambridge Audio 840Av2 and Audio Analogue Verdi Settanta. Check out the current issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision for the full test.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
The Naim Nait 5i is a very good thing. It won our April 08 Supertest of amps in that price class, beating the Cyrus 8vs2, Cambridge Audio 840Av2 and Audio Analogue Verdi Settanta. Check out the current issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision for the full test.

[/quote]

Oh wow I didn't know that. Iv never really been a fan of the Cambridge 740/840 as their dynamics aren't great IMHO. The Cyrus has been "top dog" in the reviews at least for awhile. Will have to grab the April mag though! Here in NZ the Nait5i Italic is $2600, the Naim cheapest seperates are $9000 for the amp and pre... :-( way outa reach, but would sound oh so good flatcapped.....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
KiWi...if whf&V gave any Naim product a supertest winner award, it must be extreamly good as I couldn't remember the last time Naim has been honour such a prize!

Even "the hottest amp" of 2007, SuperNait only got 4 stars!
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

My ONLY reserve in the Nait 5i Italic is its pretty low output (50w). I know my speakers are 94db, 130w max, though suitable amp range 15-180w... but if I DO upgrade the speakers that can be driven well by this amp is limited? Mind you, my HK970 is only 80w and I never goto full volume with the Paradigms. Though every now and then I like to crank the volume up, am wondering how the Nait would handle that even with the Paradigms?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't know much about your Paradigm Monitor 7 V5 speakers (the brand is well known for AV product rather than Hifi in UK) but 94db, I reckon my hair dryer would have driven them! so Nait will have no problem at all.

The only concern is the Nait will not give you that freedom of speakers upgrade in the future, although not many pair at this price range will be very hard to drive.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
KiWi...if whf&V gave any Naim product a supertest winner award, it must be extreamly good as I couldn't remember the last time Naim has been honour such a prize!

Even "the hottest amp" of 2007, SuperNait only got 4 stars!
emotion-7.gif

[/quote]

Hmm oh the SuperNait only got 4 stars, suprising! What was "wrong" with it, and I wonder what Intergrated Amps at the same price are better? Iv read the SuperNait review in HiFi News, and it was pretty encouraging getting 85% for sound, yet amp of the yr.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Kiwi_Jonno"]What was "wrong" with it, and I wonder what Intergrated Amps at the same price are better?[/quote]

I can confirm here that nothing "wrong" with the superNait, it won many awards in UK last year and was highly recommended by some of the top HiFi critics (our Mr. E is included)

When read WHF&V reviews you have to remember that every little thing does count not just sound and even when we are talking sound it has to be good in an allrounder kinna way. Naim has it's own sound some hate the treble some hate the hole in the soundstage but then again many HiFi lovers will never buy other brands but Naim.

John Duncan

I think the 5italic looks like a very good thing. I'd hoped to get one home this weekend to compare to my Creek, but I'm informed we're going to the inlaws, so might try and get it early next week. If it happens will post findings.......

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Kiwi_Jonno"]My ONLY reserve in the Nait 5i Italic is its pretty low output (50w). [/quote]

No need to worry about power ratings the nait 5i can keep driving even when the ohm's drop to 2. I've never heard any other company make so much use from such power figures. For example I have run two bridged Rotel RB06 power amps at 170W and in camparison to lower rated naim equipment sounded 10 times better, just so much head room.

A

Anonymous

Heard one last weekend and can confirm it is a stormer. Not relaxed sound but very very good. Was very hard not to take it home but I'm still looking around at different amps. Don't worry about the future upgrade path as a second hand Nait will fetch good money on ebay!

It's so good that my friend is going to trade his Rega Mira 3 in for one now. He's only had the Mira 3 for about 4 months. No competition apparently.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"] Not relaxed sound but very very good[/quote]

Igglebert, I found the sound to be fairly up front and dynamic but to describe it as 'not relaxed'. I listened to a bit of miles davis 'kind of blue' and it remained smooth and truthful. What speakers were they using when you auditioned?

A

Anonymous

We tried the nait5i on square twos - horid, didnt have the power to control the bass, and some Naim N-sats. I am Igg's friend who is upgrading the mira and I am using rega r5s. The detail and soundstaging is stunning. Edge on the bright side occasionally but its balanced enough to listen for days without stopping. tried various jazz from miles to basie and it sounded involving, detailed but not too 'in your face'. It even sounds better for dvds, this amp is a true all round stunner at this level!!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Melovehifi"]We tried the nait5i on square twos - horid, didnt have the power to control the bass[/quote]

I never heard the combo but I could guess such a result.

Don't get me wrong, the WB square 2's are fantastic pair of speakers but seem like only the Audionet or Sim Moon electronics can bring the best out of them!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Melovehifi"]We tried the nait5i on square twos - horid, didnt have the power to control the bass[/quote]

Yeah i'm not suprised it sounded weak with the square 2's, a bit out of the nait5i's price range I suppose - square 2's sound superb with a pre NAC 202 and NAP 250/2 tho
emotion-11.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the Nait old or new with an 'i'. As you already have a Naim player it would make sense aesthetically and sonically. If you like the older version you'll like its successor as there's hardly any difference at all. I had difficulty hearing any. Perhaps you can pick the older one up at a good discount.

But these ears prefer the cyrus8 if I had to choose an £800 or so amplifier.

A

Anonymous

Hi Kiwi Jono

Slightly off topic. You were wondering about DNM in NZ.

Google "Soul to Sole Audio" and all will be revealed.

A

Anonymous

I JUST got a NAIT5i, and it was the demo so she's broken in. I don't think you should be too concerned with the power output, it's a really big 50 watts. I've heard it driving the Totem forest and wind, lots of guts, good bass control. I love it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts