Anyone using the B&W 686s? (especially with the Arcam Solo Mini?)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd originally been thinking about buying the Arcam Solo Mini and pairing it with the B&W 685s, but then had a Road to Damascus moment earlier this evening when I realised they'll be just too damn big in my lounge. Both in size (I'll get endless jokes from my girlfriend about 'If I can just squeeze past the speakers I'll get it for you!') and sound (I can't even take my Denon Micro system past about 2/3rds out of consideration for the neighbours so buying the 685s will be like buying a Ferrari just to go down to the shops).

I like the B&W design though so was wondering if anyone's using these in a small/med room and what they're like - especially at low/mid volume? Anyone got them paired with the Solo Mini?

A

Anonymous

Yeh, but just don't like the look of them - am I the only one who thinks they look like the kind of thing you'd get with a Sanyo system from Currys?!

manicm

Jarnesque:Yeh, but just don't like the look of them - am I the only one who thinks they look like the kind of thing you'd get with a Sanyo system from Currys?!

What's the obsession with looks? You owe it to yourself to audition the Dalis, and given your concern for space remember the 686s, unlike the 685s, are rear-ported and that does not count in your favour.

BTW, I have the 685s with the Solo Mini, not completely happy cos I don't have the space to do them justice (they need at least 2m or more apart). I wanted the Lektors but weren't available in my country yet.

A

Anonymous

Yea, fair point on the looks and the Lektors but, hand on heart and shallow though it may be, it is a consideration as I'm going to be looking at them for the next few years and I'd rather be looking at something and getting a warm glow inside rather than looking at something and thinking 'Currys'!

Anyway, I went back into Sevenoaks S&V this morning to try the 686s - very nice when the (has to be said - slightly unhelpful) sales assistant put them about 3 feet from the wall. But when I then put them about 2" from the wall which is where in reality they're going to have to be, they sounded pretty bad - very 'whompy'. Hadn't realised it did make a difference where you position speakers.

So it could be back to the 685s if they work better near a wall - though as you say they need to be at least 2m apart and again mine are only going to be about 1.5m apart at most. Unless that is I throw out most of the furniture from my lounge and just have a bean bag and two fantastic looking speakers in front of me!

I haven't yet tried the MA BR2s but didn't like the RS1s so can't see that I'll like the BR2s. I will give the Lektors a go - though I might have to cover them with tea towels if I buy them
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The B&W 686's are rear ported so putting them close to a wall is never going to be good. The salesman obviously knew this hence his correct placement of 3 feet.

They are also only 84db efficiency so will need a lot more juice than an 89 - 90db design for instance. Not ideal for the Arcam Solo-Mini.

Try and find a pair of speakers that are not fussy about postioning and are around 90db efficiency.

I can think of the Rega RS1 standmounts. (£390) Rega quote....

"It allows them to be mounted directly onto the wall, or alternatively to be placed on shelves or stands."

They are 90db efficiency so will be an easier job for your Solo-Mini. They are finished nicely in real wood veneer.

A

Anonymous

I'll see if I can try the Rega's and the BR2s. I guess the B&W 684s wouldn't work well with the Solo Mini?

And it wasn't with positioning that the Sales Asst wasn't being helpful - I got the feeling within a couple of mins that he approached each interaction with a customer as something he needed to 'win'!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have to agree that you should definitly consider the Dali Lektor 1's

Superb speakers and for their size they give enough clout :)

The Arcam Aolo Mini is a little gem but it just doesnt have the leg room to give the B&W 685's the running they need unfortunately.

The Rega RS1's are cracking speakers as well but have/can you consider the Rega R3 floorstanders? Theyre very small but with a great soundstage.

Other than the above i could recommend the Acoustic Energy AE100 standmount speakers but you'd have to get those off eBay.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:The Rega RS1's are cracking speakers as well but have/can you consider the Rega R3 floorstanders? Theyre very small but with a great soundstage.

I agree completely about the R3 (see my sig) :)

But the poster may find a pair hard to track down as they have been replaced by the new RS range. (Ex-dem R3 bargains are not out of the question but are probably getting a bit scarce by now.)

A

Anonymous

Yes, I saw your kit and I wondered why I couldn't find the R3s on Rega's website. I'll see what Sevenoaks have got in on Sat.

Have to keep reminding myself this is supposed to be fun - as I go through mental gymnastics of how I could reorganise the lounge, have everyone sit on bean bags and board up the entrance to the kitchen to accommodate speaker set ups! And this is without getting started on whether I should integrate everything into a home cinema set up!

The Meridian F80 is actually starting to make more sense!

manicm

Jarnesque:

Yes, I saw your kit and I wondered why I couldn't find the R3s on Rega's website. I'll see what Sevenoaks have got in on Sat.

Have to keep reminding myself this is supposed to be fun - as I go through mental gymnastics of how I could reorganise the lounge, have everyone sit on bean bags and board up the entrance to the kitchen to accommodate speaker set ups! And this is without getting started on whether I should integrate everything into a home cinema set up!

The Meridian F80 is actually starting to make more sense!

It's multiple times more expensive though, and won't give you the flexibility of the Mini later on when you do have some space. Look, I'd say before plumping for the F80, why not consider the Mini with Arcam's own Muso speakers - they won't have stomping bass sure but others vouch for their sound quality, you can then get better speakers later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts