Anyone using Lion OS X yet?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am currently on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and have an iMac that - according to this - exceeds the requirements to install Lion.

I have chickened out of being an 'early adopter'/tester and decided to wait until any initial problems (if any) have been found and fixed before parting with my £21. It only got launched yesterday so it's too early for me.

Any braver souls out there who have installed it aleady?

A

Anonymous

Hi Chebby,

I installed it yesterday on my 2010 i3 iMac. If you use your Mac as your primary music source and you have it just exactly as you want it I would hold off.

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

A few issues have been listed in relation to external Audio Programmes, such as Amarra. I havent had much time to test the Audio playback yet, however both Decibel and Audivarna, that I use seem OK. I have found an operational glitch when using iTunes with the remote App, however my music testing has been limited.

Regards Craig

Paul.

Apparently Photoshop is having some issues, so I cant update until this is fixed. Im quite excited about the new mail app though, long chains of signatures in email conversations is one of my pet hates.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I installed Lion last night on the imac and have been using it all day today.So far no problems with itunes or any of the apps I use. I don"t use photoshop or any other music service,so can"t comment on those.New Mail is great and the additional gestures are easy to get used to.Still looking at all the other user features slowly [250 of them].

Full screen apps are better and safari is improved also.No crashes or glitches to date.Synced with iphone 4 without any problems.4gb download though.Well worth the £20.99 outlay imo.

A

Anonymous

When I used Apple Remote on my iPad to control iTunes, the monitor on my iMac goes to sleep after a couple of minutes. However since updating to Lion and iTunes 10.4, the iMac monitor wakes up everytime iTunes changes tracks, this never used to happen, I assume its a Lion issue rather than iTunes 10.4, that is the Glitch I referred to earlier, nothing major. Front Row has now gone, in case anyone was using it.

Cheers Craig

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
cgbissett said:
When I used Apple Remote on my iPad to control iTunes, the monitor on my iMac goes to sleep after a couple of minutes. However since updating to Lion and iTunes 10.4, the iMac monitor wakes up everytime iTunes changes tracks, this never used to happen, I assume its a Lion issue rather than iTunes 10.4, that is the Glitch I referred to earlier, nothing major. Front Row has now gone, in case anyone was using it.

Cheers Craig
You are right Front Row is missing.[but I don"t miss it personally] I have iTUNES 11 why are you still on 10.4 then Craig.

A

Anonymous

Didn't know iTunes 11 existed, Apples site has 10.4 as latest. I also auto updated when Lion was installed and the latest version provided was 10.4. I am confident it is the latest, as it has Full Screen mode, which only the latest would have.

Cheers Craig

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
cgbissett said:
Didn't know iTunes 11 existed, Apples site has 10.4 as latest. I also auto updated when Lion was installed and the latest version provided was 10.4. I am confident it is the latest, as it has Full Screen mode, which only the latest would have.

Cheers Craig
Strange I clicked on about itunes and it read itunes 11.Now i have clicked on it again and it says itunes 10 version 10.4 [80]. Oh well works just fine anyway.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I upgraded today. I had a compatibility issue with my ReadyNas Duo which luckily was easily fixed with a firmware update. The Sonos desktop controller issue is only if you have your music stored on your Mac. If it's on a NAS or other location then it works fine.

Overall it seems fine, but in hindsight I would definitely recommend some googling to ensure everything important is compatible before taking the plunge.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm a big mac fan but after reading alot of comments and people calling the lion update "Vista" for the mac, i think i will hold of from buying the update.

Though i am more interested in purchasing the new mac mini as i itunes server and using an ipad for my surfing and e-mails.

Interesting move with the mac mini though, i think apple seem to think they can provide everything you need online now they have lost the DVD drive

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
So far have resisted, but then the temptation of a new MacBook Air may not be so easy to shake off...

In twenty years of owning Macs I've never applied a bought upgrade over the original major point release (System 7, 8, 9; OS X 10.4, 10.6 respectively), I just wait for the next machine.

Although the nominal cost of the upgrade has dropped, it's £50 extra for the near-compulsory Magic Trackpad on this iMac, and both will be included with anything I buy next (assuming it's Apple)

I have installed all the loose bits of Lion that have been made available for Snow Leopard — iWork 9.1, Safari 5.1, and iTunes 10.4 (they all seem to work so far) — and archived iSync and Front Row. Taping over the optical drive slot would be taking things a bit too far, though...

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Had to spend an extra £100 or so upgrading to Microsoft Office 2011.

I have Office 08 installed and wont be getting Lion at @ £21 plus anouther £100 on Office 11.

It works fine as is.

Paul.

I caved. I did a full backup on Friday afternoon before I left work, then installed Lion saturday morning knowing I could roll back monday morning if I need too. Photoshop CS3 runs fine, I havent come accross anything not working as of yet. Have a few more days to weedle out bugs and decide, as I am starting from scratch with a striped raid setup next weekend.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably not a wise move for me just yet.
I've only had my Mac one day lol, I'm still learning how to use it, let alone confusing things by upgrading to a new OS.

But the biggest reason I'll probably give it a miss is that it looks like my Mac's processor and memory only just meet the minimum requirements. Perhaps I've been 'tainted' by my Windows experience, but certainly on PCs I found you really needed at least double the minimum recommended memory and processor power to even start to get the best out of a new OS.

Paul.

What you running? My MBP is a 2.4ghz core2duo, so pretty old. It runs the same as Snow Leopard. Apple tend to be pretty conservitive with their hardwear requirements, I assume to make you buy more hardwear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts