Anyone Tried Dolby Pro-Logic IIz With Extra Front Height Effects Speakers?

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I would like to ask if anyone has tried Dolby Pro-Logic IIz with two extra height effects speakers? I am wondering what sort of difference these two extra channels would make or add to the overall surround sound experience and if there a miniscule, subtle but noticeable, noticeable or dramatic difference with the extra height speakers engaged. I already have a 7.1 speaker system that needs to be set up but I cannot use the extra two rear channel speakers as my listening/viewing position is right up against a back wall & thought if this Pro-Logic IIz actually works then I might as well go ahead with using the two extra speakers I have when I need to install! I welcome any experiences that anyone might have!
Bazzy!

A

Anonymous

At the Manchester Show yesterday, Denon had a demo of an amp that supported a similar configuration and ran a Blu ray with and without the extra height speakers. I must admit the extra hight speakers did really bring something extra to the soundstage - more than expected personally. They used a system named Audersey or similar.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
try this on your stereo speakers.place your ears below speakers...and then above...your notice some difference...sound coming from above sounds more expansive.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Digitaljunior:At the Manchester Show yesterday, Denon had a demo of an amp that supported a similar configuration and ran a Blu ray with and without the extra height speakers. I must admit the extra hight speakers did really bring something extra to the soundstage - more than expected personally. They used a system named Audersey or similar.

The clip from Pan's Labyrinth was really impressive. Must admit I found this the most engaging of the home cinema demos at the Show. The soundstage did seem to take on an extra dimension with these extra channels. Admittedly the clips will have been hand picked and may be few and far between, but from the bits used

I've got the same issue as you Bazzy with the listening position, so will try some (shortly to be redundant following upgrade) kef eggs as front heights.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yamaha have been doing this for almost 2 decades now ........
emotion-1.gif

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Jonnyhifi:
Digitaljunior:At the Manchester Show yesterday, Denon had a demo of an amp that supported a similar configuration and ran a Blu ray with and without the extra height speakers. I must admit the extra hight speakers did really bring something extra to the soundstage - more than expected personally. They used a system named Audersey or similar.

The clip from Pan's Labyrinth was really impressive. Must admit I found this the most engaging of the home cinema demos at the Show. The soundstage did seem to take on an extra dimension with these extra channels. Admittedly the clips will have been hand picked and may be few and far between, but from the bits used

I've got the same issue as you Bazzy with the listening position, so will try some (shortly to be redundant following upgrade) kef eggs as front heights.

Hi!

That would be great! Let me know what your thoughts are on how things developed when you add the extra height speakers - it will be interesting to see if they make a difference with all/most movies & not just handpicked selected clips specially for HiFi Shows!!

Bazzy!

A

Anonymous

I raised this question on the forum a couple of weeks or so ago because I was interested in whether it was worthy of investing in two new "height" speakers and I'm about to invest in a new amp.

The general feeling was that the money would be better spent on upgrading the amp as the sound format is "engineered" (by the amp) rather than carried on the original soundtrack. As such the new HD formats sounded better.

Haven't heard it myself but interested in the comments above nonetheless

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Bazzy:

That would be great! Let me know what your thoughts are on how things developed when you add the extra height speakers - it will be interesting to see if they make a difference with all/most movies & not just handpicked selected clips specially for HiFi Shows!!

Bazzy!

Will do, once I've got a new speaker package to free up the Kefs. Still haven't decided whether to go for broke with a Monitor Audio RX package, or settle on the B&W 685 package but with M1s for rears and eventually for front heights. Denon AVR2310 and Sony BDP S760 will be installed on Friday.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Bazzy:Jonnyhifi:

Hi!

Bazzy!

Bazzy,

Well, after a reasonable period of trial and testing, I can fully endorse the use of front heights. After tweaking the levels for the fronts and rears, I find that nearly all the material I' ve watched in PLIIz mode gains in atmosphere, usually quite subtley, but sometimes quite gob smackingly. For e.g. flicked over to Saving Private Ryan on Sky Movies HD tonight, about 45 mins in at the start of the sniper scene. The increasingly heavy rain seemed to be coming down from the whole ceiling and the effect was completely immersive. Now need this on Blu Ray urgently!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts