Anyone treating themselves for Christmas

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yup. But this time it's more for the music creation side of my hobby than the listening side. In my home studio I make extensive use of Arturia V Collection virtual instruments, which have recently been upgraded from V4 to V5. To buy new they are €400 but as an existing V4 user I can upgrade before Jan 6th for €99, which I intend to do as soon as I get paid on December 30th. Can wait!!

New pair of 1More E1001 earphones for my travels. One of the best looking and packaged 3 driver earphones I have seen for the money and at a 20% reduction in cost, couldn't let it pass. Now just hope wife provides that new Fiio X5 mk2 she promised. ;-)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Santa is being good so...

I bought myself a pair of AKG K72s a few weeks ago and resisted the temptation to open them. I intend to use them with a Fiio Kunlan (E18 I think) I also bought a few weeks ago and used it once to test as I bought secondhand. I also bought a powered wireless panasonic speaker for my bedroom that should come next week

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
After trying a few different brands and combinations this year I've decided that Creek still does it for me the best, and so I am awaiting the arrival of my new Evolution 50A amp next week.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If I'm lucky I might get an iliminated magnifying glass so I can read the track lists on CD's when I am listening at night with the lights down.

Otherwise after my Exposure amps purchase in November I am banned from buying anything else.

In true Panto style, my wife told me I said that would be my last purchase, 'Oh no it's not!' I said, 'Oh yes it is!' she said *smile*.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
After trying a few different brands and combinations this year I've decided that Creek still does it for me the best, and so I am awaiting the arrival of my new Evolution 50A amp next week.

Nice. Full report expected with absolutely no bias ;-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:

A very nice idea with the 'Ambit' tuner module (or even the Ruby DAC + FM).

Hope you enjoy it.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
If I'm lucky I might get an iliminated magnifying glass so I can read the track lists on CD's when I am listening at night with the lights down.

Otherwise after my Exposure amps purchase in November I am banned from buying anything else.

In true Panto style, my wife told me I said that would be my last purchase, 'Oh no it's not!' I said, 'Oh yes it is!' she said *smile*.
Ha ha, my first christmas smile

D

Deleted member 2457

I got the Oppo 4K 203 blu ray player for myself and loving it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to need a new 2.1 DAC/pre-amp as my Yamaha DSP-E800 receiver has developed a slight channel imbalance for no apparent reason. As a temporary fix I've adjusted the balance setting on my computer to about 60/40 instead of 50/50 which has fixed things for now and it sounds perfect again. However there's something about this bodge that doesn't sit right with me and it doesn't solve the problem of a channel imbalance when listening to vinyl so a new DAC/pre-amp is on the shopping list for the next couple of months. I'll probably try one of the newer Marantz NR receivers this time round as I know they work well with 2.1 active speaker systems. I also want to get a new platter for my Technics 1210. The one I have is fine and in good condition but the chrome dots aren't as shiny as they should be (a real first world problem eh?) so one of those will be on the shopping list for January/February too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
DIB said:

A very nice idea with the 'Ambit' tuner module (or even the Ruby DAC + FM).

Hope you enjoy it.

That Ambit Tuner is definitely on my horizon for next year. Not the Ruby DAC though. I no longer own a DAC, I find that the DACs in my Squeezebox Touch and NAD CD player perfectly adequate, and another seperate DAC is just not needed.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Nothing hifi related ... bah, humbug *beee*

Maybe at some point in 2017 ... perhaps a Sony UHP-H1 or a Onkyo TX-L20D/Pioneer SX-S30 ... after I get rid of some of the excess I already have. 2016 was peak hifi for me so no more unnecessary purchases.

Merry Christmas

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Succumbed to a Cyber Monday deal that I couldn't resist and upgraded the Marantz duo a notch - despite the old addage that if ain't broke.....

Early days, but certainly seem worth the investment, even though approaching the steep part of the cost to performance expoential curve. Did listen to the PMC 25.23s and sounded mighty fine with expensive Naim amps. Little chance of those or the Rubicon 6s appearing in the January sales.

Happy Xmas all and sadly RIP to Rick Parfait - the loudest and liveliest group I ever saw.

daveh75

No. We don't really do Christmas, and not even sure what it is. Some bizarre Paganist, Christian and Capitilist mash up as far as I can tell...

I did back the Eve V convertible/2 in 1 PC (basically a crowd source designed and funded Surface Pro competitor) though nothing to do with it being 'Christmas'

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
No. We don't really do Christmas, and not even sure what it is. Some bizarre Paganist, Christian and Capitilist mash up as far as I can tell...

Even so, it was still respectful of you to capitalize 'Christmas' ('Paganist, Christian and Capitilist' [sic] too) despite your feelings about it.

4 new tyres for the Focus ST, and a wedding in June means no tinkering for me for quite some time. Not that I need to, but I'm tempted to upgrade the Amp at some point. Maybe a 2nd hand Tucana II or a MF nu vista.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts