Anyone seen Blade Runner 2049 in UHD? What a picture!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
simonali said:
Rakuten TV is pretty cheap, eh? You can buy 4K movies on there for 5 or 6 quid and that includes BR2049!
Not that I’d leave high quality films like Blade Runner 2049 to streaming services (not how they currently are anyway). It’s the darker scenes that need higher bandwidth, which is where annoying fuzzy stuff starts happening if the bandwidth isn’t high enough, causing noticeable compression. I could tell that this film’s picture and sound quality were pretty special even at the cinema - it stood out among the other films I’d also seen around the time.

Some streaming services are worse than others - Now TV’s films look way too soft, and you’re not even guaranteed anything better than stereo.

Just as 1080p movies look soft compared to Bluray, 4K also look soft compared to 4K Bluray. For streaming, I really don’t see the point in 4K until our broadband networks can stream 4K at higher bitrates than they currently do, and our own broadband can handle that higher bandwidth. Runnng before we can walk, as usual, but no doubt 4K streaming services will/are being used to sell 4K TVs. I feel the only real benefit for a good 4K TV is for 4K sport, 4K gaming, or 4K films from 4K Bluray (although upscaled 1080p Bluray can look excellent), so basically speaking, genuine, high quality 4K sources. For general TV watching and streaming services, 4K is a waste of money, in my opinion.

I should qualify that although 4K sports is reliant on streaming services, it’s video rather than film - and sports are usually in bright daylight, so don’t need for the bandwidth that a dark film would need.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I'm in agreement. Having a 4K player I'd always prefer a disc over a streamed version of the same film, but the value on Rakuten is still great. I'm lucky enough to have a good broadband speed and Netflix on my TV looks really good in 4K.

Saying that, though, I watched the UHD disc of Sicario again last night and even on a second viewing it still blows my socks off at how good the picture is. One to check out!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Your not wrong there. Most HDR movie content are mastered in 2k because of CGI. Real 4k all the way for me too.

You'll probably find that a lot of the original animation is done at even lower resolutions until they get the sequence right, then re-rendered at 2K and 4K once they're happy.

BTW back in the day....

Do you remember "Babylon5" from the 90s? All of that kind of pioneering CGI was done on Silicon Graphics workstations (the giveaway is all the purples used - Silicon Graphics machines were really good at purples for some reason), and they couldn't have a sequence lasting more than 2 seconds or so, because the machines of that era were running a 32 bit operating system meaning only 64 megabytes of RAM could be addressed. Each frame took a megabyte of RAM. So at 25 frames per second...

Oh And back then a megabyte of Silicon Graphics RAM probably cost 1000 quid too.

D

Deleted member 2457

Diamond Joe said:
Good news! (sort of) I've got as far as moving the Blade Runner 2049 disc into my BDP, all I've got to do now is find the time to watch it *unknw*
thumbs_up.png

Benedict_Arnold said:
You'll probably find that a lot of the original animation is done at even lower resolutions until they get the sequence right, then re-rendered at 2K and 4K once they're happy.
I believe the film was shot in 3.4K, then upscaled to 4K. Whether the effects were rendered at 3.4K or 2K, I can’t say, but the usual is 2K.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts