Anyone see the Neat Iota Floorstanders?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I didn't expect that!

I couldn't make it to Bristol this year, so was looking at AV Forums website's summary of the show and came across Neat's surprise offering: the Neat Iota floorstander!

I've always been fond of the original Iotas and I wouldn't be at all surprised if I ended up owning a pair at some point, but a floorstander?

Described as looking akin to a pedal bin, the midrange and ribbon tweeter borrowed from the existing Iota is pointing up at an angle to counteract their very low stature, but there seems to be mention of an additional 5.25" driver hiding away somewhere.

Did anybody see or hear these Iota floorstanders? What did you make of them? Did you see where the other driver was? The sole photo I could find (on AV Forums) shows them very close to the back wall rather than in free space, so not sure if it's a downward firing arrangement like some of their other speakers?

Full marks to Neat for thinking outside the box and coming up with products that address British living rooms, unlike so many other manufacturers who continue to churn out rear-ported boomy bass designs that only sound good in Hollywood mansions. Although with drivers low down like that, I'd really like to see some speaker grills available unlike their standmount sibllings.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Cheers Chebby - thanks for that.

Wonder what they'll call them? Answers on a postcard please...

Perhaps they ought to call them the Neat Napolean: small, but large impact!

Anyone notice if they were bi-ampable, or whether they were just single-wired only?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
and another thing...

I was thinking how the Iota Floorstander could make an effective centre channel too with the upward-firing ribbon tweeter and midrange. It's often an issue; where to site the centre speaker so it actually sounds like it's coming from the screen rather than below it. It would be interesting to hear the effect of 5 of them on the end of an Arcam AVR! Anyway, better wait for them to release the speaker first.

So according to the link Chebby provided, it sound like the third driver is indeed downward-firing.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep I saw/heard them too. Very impressive for their size. I didn't find them nice to look at though. They reminded me of a dehumidifier.

They sounded very fine indeed. I think the bass driver that you can't see is downward or backward firing, and about 5", which in this context is quite large. At first glance, I imagined they were simply Iota units in a bigger box, but no. They still looked pretty tiny in real life, though obviously much larger than the minuscule Iotas.

i agree that they looked a bit, er, functional in the white, and the unorthodox format was almost distracting. But no mistaking the fine sound. One to watch.

I think the rep said not ready for sale for a few months yet.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
oh what a shame they look bloody hideous

Are they the final cabinet designs ?

My god they would sell loads of these but good god they are flipping fugly

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for confirming that wilro15. I can't help thinking it was a slight overkill, is anyone seriously going to pair these little Neats with a £3.7k Naim streamer?

They did sound good, but I wouldn't trade in my Motives for a pair.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, doesn't seem to be a lot of love for their looks. But I personally like things that are quirky and a bit different, especially if like the original Iotas their performance is so good.

I would imagine that their diminutive size is actually designed NOT to draw attention to themselves but visually shrink into the background. They'd only be noticed by hifi nerds like us.

I think a product that's visually humble but performs well is more appealing than a "hey look at me" 6 driver floorstander that sounds dreadful. To anyone who's heard the Iotas, the sound vs. size equation does require overcoming initial disbelief.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts