Anyone Recommend a DUAL VOLTAGE MULTI-REGION BluRay Player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In anticipation of moving back to the USA this year, I am thinking of upgrading the current Denon DVD-1940, that has been "unlocked" to play all region DVDs, but sadly is only 230 volt compatible, with a BluRay that is (a) dual voltage - 110 and 230 volt and (b) multi-zone compatible - i.e. will play UK and USA zoned BluRays AND DVDs.

Any suggestions?

Will be working in "The Smoke" from next week BTW.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Indeed, as will the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD with a similar multiregion board fitted.

Any news on that player please Andrew? Will there be a review done on it? Looking good with that brushed aluminium finish, reasonably priced as well. Could it compete, or dare I say beat, a £400 Pioneer? I await the backlash from Gel for suggesting such a thing!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Anything a bit more mainstream? Panasonic (especially - TVs are Panasonic and I hate having my coffee table covered in remotes), Denon, Yamaha, Sony, etc.?

I like the look of the Cambridge Audio Azur 650R, especially if I can source a pukka dual-region player (I'll test drive with a genuine US DVD and BluRay before I buy) or get a UK one "hacked" (as my Denon DVD player was) to the same effect. Like the idea I can buy the matching Azur 650 7.1 receiver, especially if I can find a dual-voltage model (the Cambridge Audio Uk site shows it as only 230 volt). I guess I could wait until I get back to the US and buy one there, then.

Either way I want to add a separate AV receiver so I can ditch my Cyrus AV-Master 8, which isn't the best, or most user friendly Cyrus component (it was bought mostly for compatibility with the rest of my Cyrus setup).

Will give me an excuse for a stroll down Tottenham Court Road one weekend, anyway
emotion-15.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The tech spec on the Cambridge, in the manual, shows it as having a switch-mode power supply good for 100-240V.

And the 'hack' is just a simple circuitboard plugged in once you have the lid off.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew, i read the review in the magazine, also says see the Video Review- whathifi.com/video, cant seem to find it, not sure if it's been up and gone, any ideas?

Cheers,

Torres09

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

The tech spec on the Cambridge, in the manual, shows it as having a switch-mode power supply good for 100-240V.

And the 'hack' is just a simple circuitboard plugged in once you have the lid off.

Checked the tech spec. - yes you're right.

Re multi-region - for the Denon 1910 I was told it was a simple re-programming using a "special" DVD and not a hardware change, as the "zone lock" as i'll call it is software embedded, not hardware. Might be on some models the software is "welded" into an EPROM. Either way I'm not worried so long as it plays both formats and both zones before I part with the cash.

Looks like Cambridge Audio. Added "snob value" for Britishness and if the house gets burgled then the perp will have hell to pay trying to offload the gear.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:And i suspect due to different distribution arrangements, the CA will be a lot less expensive here than it is in the States.

Prolly right about that, all the Texas dealers listed by CA are into "home theater EDITED BY MODS installations". Doubt Bestbuy will have them. Might also be able to get a better deal if I buy the pair together
emotion-15.gif

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:And about the same time I should be indulging in some bloggage exploring more of the player's musical abilities, and the multiregion 'hack'

Andrew, excuse my ignorance, is this 'hack' for mulit region DVD or BluRay or both?

Also, is the 'hack' a remote or a hardware installation job? i.e carried out by professionals who know what their doing... (eh not me)..

Thanks...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:$699 in the States = just over £460.

Presumably that's for the Bluray player, not least 'cos the 650 receiver is listed on some sites at 1600 bucks..

In Texas add 6.5% sales tax, comes out at, erm, about 745 bucks or about 500 quid for the BluRay and 1700 bucks / 1134 quid for the receiver. UK price is 400 inc. VAT quid for the BluRay, can't find a UK price for the receiver, but I guess magically just under one grand inc. VAT.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Torres09:Andrew, excuse my ignorance, is this 'hack' for mulit region DVD or BluRay or both?

Both.

Torres09:Also, is the 'hack' a remote or a hardware installation job? i.e
carried out by professionals who know what their doing... (eh not me)..

Hardware: you pop the lid, unplug a single multipin connector cable, plug that cable into the hack circuitboard, another cable from that circuitboard to the socket from which the cable was disconnected, and a power cable into a free socket on the player's main board.

It takes about 10 mins, and is totally reversible.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

Any idea when the matching Azur 650R AVreceiver is going to hit the streets and what the high UK street price is going to be?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Darren Heal:Andrew

Any idea when the matching Azur 650R AVreceiver is going to hit the streets and what the high UK street price is going to be?

At the moment, no...

A

Anonymous

Flicking through Amazon.co.uk I've found a lot of the "multi region" BluRay players are only multi-region when it comes to DVD playback.

I guess I'll get the wife to send me a US-bought BluRay to test before I buy.

Also, any ideas on more "mainstream" brands?

Ideally i would like to avoid having the pile of remotes taking up half the coffee table and / or use the same brand as the TV (probably a Sont or more likely a Panasonic) I'm going to have to buy.

You'll have to get "mainstream brands" hardware modded.

Check this site. They sell blu-ray players multiregioned for BD+DVD.

Panasonic DMP-BD80

Pioneer BDP-120

Remember that despite them being "mainstream brands", the warranty will be void because they have undergone a hardware modification.

Don't restrict your choices just for having a single remote of the same brand. Buy a universal remote like Logitech Harmony or one4all.

TRENDING THREADS