Anyone on here taking statins?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Looks like I have to start taking them. Anyone else taking them? What do you think, good or bad? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

If you've been advised statins, take them.
It’s looking that way, I just had my annual health checkup and my cholesterol is high again! Pretty sure is my medication that has caused it. Find out on the phone in a couple of weeks from my GP, it looks like she wants me to go on them.

My friend was on them. It ended up that he couldn't even walk down the garden path. He's now on Ezetimibe tablets. Much better, no side effects. However they are very expensive and not many doctors will sanction them for their patients.
Ezetimibe is inferior to statin, and so used only in people who can't tolerate statins or experience side effects like your friend. Cost is not a reason.

D

Deleted member 188533

Ezetimibe is inferior to statin, and so used only in people who can't tolerate statins or experience side effects like your friend. Cost is not a reason.
Used in conjunction with statins as well. Mom takes a statin and Zetia ( Ezetimibe ).

I've been on statins for a little over 10 years. My cholesterol is only borderline without them but I have a family history of heart disease so I started taking them in my mid 30s. I have no side effects at all but I only take a low dose. 10mg of Atorvastatin. I've seen more than one doctor say most of the population should be on them just as a preventative so it's not at all something I mind taking.

D

Deleted member 2457

My friend was on them. It ended up that he couldn't even walk down the garden path. He's now on Ezetimibe tablets. Much better, no side effects. However they are very expensive and not many doctors will sanction them for their patients.

I have been hearing about nasty side effects too.

(y)

Used in conjunction with statins as well. Mom takes a statin and Zetia ( Ezetimibe ).

I've been on statins for a little over 10 years. My cholesterol is only borderline without them but I have a family history of heart disease so I started taking them in my mid 30s. I have no side effects at all but I only take a low dose. 10mg of Atorvastatin. I've seen more than one doctor say most of the population should be on them just as a preventative so it's not at all something I mind taking.

My cholesterol was borderline a year ago too. I will have to ask my parents about our family history with heart disease. (y)

D

Deleted member 2457

No heart disease or high cholesterol in the family it's clearly my medication that's caused it. I found out that it is 6.1 which I think is high risk territory although not too bad. I find out in a week what will happen.

No heart disease or high cholesterol in the family it's clearly my medication that's caused it. I found out that it is 6.1 which I think is high risk territory although not too bad. I find out in a week what will happen.
More than 6.3 is considered high risk, I would suggest you are borderline, however don't concern yourself if statins are recommended.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

My cholesterol is 6.3 but they’ve never said to go on statins? :unsure:
Does it fluctuate then? If not I am not sure why you haven’t too. Might be because I am obese too! :) And on lots of cholesterol gaining tablets.

buzz_lightclick

Does it fluctuate then? If not I am not sure why you haven’t too. Might be because I am obese too! :) And on lots of cholesterol gaining tablets.
It was 5.9 last year so going up, I think it's been around 6 in years previous to that. My diet isn't the best, too many takeaways etc, and have done much less exercise this year than normal due to the lockdowns. It can be brought back down with lifestyle changes apparently.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

I have decided not to take them. I am enough medication as it is with all of their side effects enough is enough for me personally.

Reactions: buzz_lightclick
D

Deleted member 2457

8 weeks on statins and just had a fasting blood test and my kidneys GFR is low!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts