Anyone heard the Russell K Red 50?

Hi there.

I was at my local dealer to demo some Harbeths looking for new speakers when they suggested I should also listen to Russell K Red 50. I was quite amazed by this speaker. Especially the midrange just sounded so right on Dire Straits first album.

I was searching for others who might have experienced these speakers, but the only thread I found was an old one from 2014 about the Red 100.

Has anyone experince the Red 50 and what do you think?

Mathias

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Kind of.

They have them in the Coffee shop just next to our offices. Apparently that's because one of the owners of the coffee shop is also involved with the company that makes the speakers.

If you're in London (in the Moorgate area) check out Dolcezza (brilliant coffee) and/or Alphabeta (just on Finsbury Square).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Kind of.

They have them in the Coffee shop just next to our offices. Apparently that's because one of the owners of the coffee shop is also involved with the company that makes the speakers.

If you're in London (in the Moorgate area) check out Dolcezza (brilliant coffee) and/or Alphabeta (just on Finsbury Square).

Yep, can see one of them here ...

location_bonhill_1.jpg

(coffee place looks a bit 'poncey' though!)

Mathias Frøslev said:
I live in Denmark, so it will not be in the near future. But my local dealer has them and I'll get a home demo, but I'd really like to hear from someone with experience who has demoed them. :)

It's unlikely many on here have as they are quite rare, in the UK anyway and most will tend towards the more 'conventional' speaker manufacturers.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Mathias Frøslev said:
I live in Denmark, so it will not be in the near future. But my local dealer has them and I'll get a home demo, but I'd really like to hear from someone with experience who has demoed them. :)

Hi Mathias

Not so long ago I was able to demo the K50's at home.

Had them for a week on the end of a Primare i22 so here's my opinion of them.

They're one of the most idiosyncratic speakers I've heard.
They have a very fast, hyper detailed presentation which I'm sure you're aware of.
They're brilliant at low volume levels if thats a priority and boredom is something you will not experience.

Only advice I'd give would be to try them at home if at all possible. For the first couple of days like yourself I was bowled over by them. Particularly the midrange.
The later half of the week things changed a little.
Started to find them a little tiresome.

Don't get me wrong, they're clearly a quality speaker but give yourself time with them if you can before you pull the trigger.

What amp are you planning to pair them with?

Bare in mind I had them paired with a Primare amp (which is on the smooth laid back side) so I can't imagine what they'd be like paired with a more edgy forward sounding amp.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
P.S.
I forgot to mention they have a prominent bump in the upper bass/lower mid which adds to the excitement of their presentation.
It became too prominent over time for my personal taste although ymmv.

In the end that bump was the deal breaker for me.

Neutral they are not.

Thanks a lot for the elaborate answer. I'll definately have that in mind. Which speakers are you using atm?

I'm getting them home for a demo this wednesday and my amp is a Roksan Caspian 1M intergrated. What do you think of that match?

My first priority was actually Harbeth C7es3 which I were demoing in the shop when I was presented the Red 50.

I am considering buying the Red 50's and enjoy them until I can afford the Harbeths. If my ears get tired demoing them for a whole day I'll wait till I can afford the C7.

Best regards

Mathias

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Mathias Frøslev said:
Thanks a lot for the elaborate answer. I'll definately have that in mind. Which speakers are you using atm?

I'm getting them home for a demo this wednesday and my amp is a Roksan Caspian 1M intergrated. What do you think of that match?

My first priority was actually Harbeth C7es3 which I were demoing in the shop when I was presented the Red 50.

I am considering buying the Red 50's and enjoy them until I can afford the Harbeths. If my ears get tired demoing them for a whole day I'll wait till I can afford the C7.

Best regards

Mathias

My pleasure.
There's not much online info to be found on them.

The fact you're able to try them at home is perfect and your own experience will overrule anything you read about them anyway.
Just try to get a fairly lengthy trial if possible. My own impression of them changed after about day three.

I don't have any experience with the Caspian so can't really offer anything there but it's 85w (i think) should be fine as the i22 I was using without issue has a similar 80w.

The K50's are 8ohms so no great concerns there and although 85dB they sounded far more sensitive.

Definitely report back with your impressions, I'm very interested to hear what you think of them.

Oh my speakers atm are Magnepan Smga.

So, finally my demoing is over and I've had them since thursday. In the beginning I was amazed by the midrange, the clarity and precision of acoustic instruments and vocals. I still think it is a pleasurable pair of speakers for that sort of music. However, as the time went, I didn't think the soundstage was big enough and when I played rock or other types of music with a lot of layers or instruments the speakers sounded a little stressed. Furthermore I think the sound on a lot of music can get too harsh for my ears when I play loudly.

My decision has come to leave these speakers and maybe save for the Harbeth C7es3. However I still need to home dem those before I buy.

Thanks for your input Alberich. Without it I maybe had just demoed for 2 days and bought them. :)

Best regards

Mathias

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mathias Frøslev said:
So, finally my demoing is over and I've had them since thursday. In the beginning I was amazed by the midrange, the clarity and precision of acoustic instruments and vocals. I still think it is a pleasurable pair of speakers for that sort of music. However, as the time went, I didn't think the soundstage was big enough and when I played rock or other types of music with a lot of layers or instruments the speakers sounded a little stressed. Furthermore I think the sound on a lot of music can get too harsh for my ears when I play loudly. 

My decision has come to leave these speakers and maybe save for the Harbeth C7es3. However I still need to home dem those before I buy. 

Thanks for your input Alberich. Without it I maybe had just demoed for 2 days and bought them. :) 

Best regards

Mathias

Thats good advice as if youve a lot of cash a bargin may come on ebay for a good 2nd hand pair before you buy new

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Mathias Frøslev said:

Best regards

Mathias

No problem mate.
Looks like we had similar experiences with them.
I can appreciate the appeal they have for some but they're certainly not for everyone.
Just shows there's nothing like a home dem.

TRENDING THREADS