Anyone experienced the Naim NAC-N 172 XS?

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Title says it all really, either as a preamp or as a streamer or both together?

I MAY be in a position to add one to my system but alas it will be linked to a MF or Roksan K3 power amp until or if funds permit a Naim power amp. it seems a hell of a lot of money for a streaming preamp so if there are any other suggestions for the same type of kit must have at least one analogue input as well as the usual digital ones

Tommo

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Not heard a 172 XS but have listened to both an ND5XS as well as the NDX (obviously). They both sound amazing. The NStream app is now superb and I think that the combo of Pre and streamer is ideal; I would have gone that way had I been patient and waited. Saves on a potentially costly cable...

Naim have aimed the 172 at non-Naim converts. Don't fret on the power amp. Go listen and budget for a Synology NAS.

John Duncan

Similarly, I have heard a number of their streamers now, including the Uniti, the 'Qute, ND5 XS, SuperUniti and HDX and have been impressed with each, and the app is good. The addition of the streaming functionality to the preamp is a bit of a bargain in Naim terms, but as above, listen to form your own opinion.

audiodarkness

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I have listened to the 172 at a local shop just by pure luck, it was very good, a typical 'Naim' sound, fast clear, accurate. Audition one if you can, but its a well regarded bit of kit and I wouldnt hesitate to own Naim again

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
jockey.wilson said:
Not heard a 172 XS but have listened to both an ND5XS as well as the NDX (obviously). They both sound amazing. The NStream app is now superb and I think that the combo of Pre and streamer is ideal; I would have gone that way had I been patient and waited. Saves on a potentially costly cable...

Naim have aimed the 172 at non-Naim converts. Don't fret on the power amp. Go listen and budget for a Synology NAS.

I was going to ask generally about the NDX - what do you think of it compared to some recent streamers? Things are moving so fast it's hard to tell. Did you listen to others?

TRENDING THREADS