Anyone experienced the B&W 684 speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Am thinking of purchasing these with a new system and wondered if anyone had any positive or negative experiences with these speakers. Also my amplifier will be rated at 2 x 70 watts (8 Ohm RMS) power amplifcation producing a combined power output of 200 watts. The speakers are rated at 25W to 150W (into 8 Ohm on unclipped program). So would I need more powerful speakers?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Superb speakers and love to be pushed :)

Your amp, not sure what make it is, sound plenty powerful enough but IMO the B&W 684's really sing at their best when bi-amped.

What would help is:

- To know the make of your amp and wehat CD Player youll be using
- What music do you listen to?

I found that when i listened to the B&W 684's through my mates Arcam FMJ A32 and P35 amps along with an Arcam CD192 they sounded sublime. Superb bass weight that really gets the house rattling (if you want it to), smooth but detailed midrange and crisp/clear treble.

daveh75

d_a_n1979:Superb speakers and love to be pushed :) Your amp, not sure what make it is, sound plenty powerful enough but IMO the B&W 684's really sing at their best when bi-amped. What would help is: - To know the make of your amp and wehat CD Player youll be using - What music do you listen to? I found that when i listened to the B&W 684's through my mates Arcam FMJ A32 and P35 amps along with an Arcam CD192 they sounded sublime. Superb bass weight that really gets the house rattling (if you want it to), smooth but detailed midrange and crisp/clear treble. live with them everyday, and dan has summed them up very well

A

Anonymous

Will probably be a Marantz PM8003. Trouble is I do listen to a wide variety of music ranging from rock, like Nirvana and Led Zeppelin through to classical singing and church organ music! The full spectrum!

Thanks for the help

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Looking at your musical tastes im not sure the 684's would be the right speakers.

Possibly take a look at the M/A RS6 speakers or the Dali Icon 6's

A

Anonymous

Thanks the Monitor Audio RS6's look like a nice pair of speakers. Do you think that they can handle the amp?

Of course I will try and audition them!

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes the M/A RS6 speakers could definitly handle the amp.

I'm currently selling a pair now as i am looking to minimise my system but have had them paired with the amps mentioned below and also a NAD set-up and Cyrus set-up which consisted of numerous monoblocks and the RS6's really sang (and more or less rattled my fillings out haha).

The RS6's really to sing well and well above their price tag suggests. IMO, theyre better than the RS8s and only just get beaten (for bass weight and clarity) by the B&W 683s!

My only concern is that they may sound a little bright/forward with a Marantz CDP (but the Marantz sound isnt one i care for with regards to my music tastes).

A

Anonymous

watts aren't everything. IMO you also should take into account room's size, impedance and sensitivity of the speakers and how distant you listen from them. I used to drive my DM 602's (120 w max, 90 dB W/m sensitivity) with a 95+95 watt amp, PM 68. Well, I find more satisfying my current 45+45 watt PM 6002, since suits much better my environment (room is m 3x4) and my listening habits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts