Anyone experience with a scart to HDMI converter?

iMark

I'm looking into helping a friend to make the most of his setup.

At the moment they have a TV and a beamer in their TV room. The setup is rather complicated because of mix of modern and older equipment. Another complication is that they have both a Samsung TV and beamer that preferably they want to use at the same time.

Their DVD player doesn't have HDMI so it can't connect to the projecter (which is HDMI only)

They use a Humax freesat box for watching TV from the UK. But they also want to watch Dutch TV through the cable company, which still provides an analogue signal. They don't want to lose the cable signal for their kitchen and bedroom TVs. So cancelling cable is not really an option.

I have looked at two options.

1. Get a bluray player with HDMI and a digital box from the cable company (which has HDMI). But that means a more expensive subscription. They already have an HDMI switch box so the can route the Humax box and a Wii U to the projector.

2. Reinstall their old VHS with analogue tuner, get a scart switch box for the DVD player and the VHS and route this to a Scart to HDMI converter box. Then connect the converter box to the HDMI switch box. The analague cable can be routed from the VHS to the TV.

Option 2 would be the cheapest option and would make use of their existing equipment. They watch the occasional DVD and a little bit of Dutch TV. They're not necessarily interested in Bluray.

Does anyone have any experience with these scart to HDMI converter boxes? Are they any good?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd imagine option 1 would give much better picture quality - (a) because converters of that sort generally aren't great and (b) even for DVDs, the Blu-ray player is likely to have much better upscaling which would be more noticeable on a projector. As you say though, it will be more expensive - how much extra are we looking at for it? Option 1 also future proofs them for a bit (HDMI connections are unlikely to go anywhere for a while, but most new display units don't have SCART inputs), so if we're not talking that much more, it's probably the better longer term strategy as well.

iMark

I agree about the picture quality in option 1. Option 2 sounds like fun though because it uses existing equipment, which surely must be recommended these days.

But it would be useful to hear from someone whose has any first hand experience with a scart to HDMI converter box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts