Anyone did a Comparison btw Denno AVR 4311 against Onkyo TR NR3008 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Wondering any one ever did a comparison btw the 2 units ?

Seem to me that they are about the same spec (9.2 + 140W + THD 0.05% + Audyssey MultEQ XT32 + etc ...)

PQ/HT SQ/Music SQ wise ??

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As cNoEvil said in the other post, dont go by spec. Go and demo them if you can. The Onkyo is a great AV. To me the Denon is warmer then the Onkyo which is brighter.

All depends on what speakers you are planning to buy and making sure you can hear different speakers on different systems.

A

Anonymous

Agreed that the only way is to do actual listening & comparison and had actual done a small audition earlier.

Base on using the same set of speaker & player to do a AB test. Denon to me sound a little bit mufflers (maybe that is what the term warm means). Onkyo to me sound clearer (maybe that is what the term bright means). To me, Arcam is even more muffler than Denon (therefore even warmer than Denon).

Therefore, if I prefer a slightly brighter sounding & not too bright (I don't like the Yamaha + AE speaker combo. To me they are too sharp, ie too bright), then my possible choices will be as follows:-

1) Denon + neutral to brighter speaker choice

2) Onkyo + neutral to warmer speaker choice

3) Arcam + brighter speaker choice

Is there such a separate/grouping of speaker brands falling into these groupings?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I believe you have the same taste as I do. I too enjoy the brighter sound where i can hear all the high pings and pops in a scene (some dont like that at all). The Pioneer LX83 is certainly a nice bright AV. I would recommend giving that a try too as it is the best of the bunch. Its review on WHF is deserved.

My set up at home is probably what you would be looking for, lots of detail and bright. I tried the Arcam AVR500 with my speakers and as you say it was muffled, the guy in the store serving me looking shocked when i turned it down as he felt it was 50% better than the LX83.

Its all opinion and now that we have established that you like the brighter sound, Arcam and Denon seem out the picture.

But by all means, demo away.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Oooh sorry didnt mean to exclude the Denon in my post above. Try out the 4311 and the LX83 side by side and see what you like. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi duaplex,

Notice that you are pairing the Pioneer with B&W CM series speakers.

If I’m not wrong, B&W speakers are more on the neutral sounding level.

What is your experience with pairing a slightly warmer amp with a brighter speaker?

Examples like a Denon with a Monitor Audio RX6?

(I kind of like the brass that they make, but can’t stand the over bright sounding).

A

Anonymous

I agree wit duaplex that the Pioneer LX83 is a magnificent AV. In my setup I have it paired with MA RX8 fronts and they combine very well. It's well worth to demo the LX83 with MA RX-series speakers

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
+1 here I agree.

Yes I have paired them with the MA RX6, RX8 and MA Apex when testing them out. The pioneer handles the sound of MA beautifully. The APex sounded amazing and so did the RX6 and RX8. I just went with the CM series because I felt i liked the B&W sound more and I liked the look of the CM8.

The Pioneer has MCACC, which they use to automatically setup the speakers, it tests for distance between speakers, vibrations in the room, other sound interference and acoustics of the room itself. If your room is not idea it compensates by adding delays when the speakers fires at you. So if one front speaker is 3m away and the other is 3.5m it calibrates for you. Its done so well that it can calibrate any speaker you give it and get the best out of them.

This is the major advantage they have over the other AV systems. Of course you can adjust levels to your taste.

Bottom line, the MA and Pioneer is always a good pairing.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Now as to pairing the warmer amp to brighter speakers. Its a good combo I tried the Arcam AVR500 with the CM8 but to be honest i did not like it as it lacked the detail I expected and was missing something

The Denon was good, The Onkyo better and the Pioneer superior for me. These tested with both MA and B&W.

What you are going to find is that you prefer one speaker to the other, then its going to be a case of liking that speaker with the right AV.

Its a long test but you are going to come out of it knowing you selected the right package. Never look back and question what if? Because there will always be something out there you never tried or something that somebody else will suggest.

Pick two brands of speaker and 3 AV's I would say and stick to them. MA is a good solid brand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts