Anybody want to give any views on my new system?

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Putting together a new hifi system, I've bought a few bits this is what I've bought so far :

Michell se turntable with Michell technoarm and ortofon M 2 blue cartridge (second hand £950)

Kef Reference model two speakers (second hand £475)

What I'm going to buy :

Quad elite pre amp (ex demo £625)

Quad QMP x 2 mono blocks (ex demo £1500)

Can anybody see any problems with the choice of pre and power to go with the bits I've bought ? The Quads are all ex demo so saving over £900 over RRP

Going to use the Quad phono stage built into the Elite for the time been and may get a separate one when I get the system up and running.

How much should I spend on the speaker cable per myself, I have some QED silver anniversary cable from a previous system left over. Many thanks

Dvddvd said:
Putting together a new hifi system, I've bought a few bits this is what I've bought so far :

Michell se turntable with Michell technoarm and ortofon M 2 blue cartridge (second hand £950)

Kef Reference model two speakers (second hand £475)

What I'm going to buy :

Quad elite pre amp (ex demo £625)

Quad QMP x 2 mono blocks (ex demo £1500)

Can anybody see any problems with the choice of pre and power to go with the bits I've bought ? The Quads are all ex demo so saving over £900 over RRP

Going to use the Quad phono stage built into the Elite for the time been and may get a separate one when I get the system up and running.

How much should I spend on the speaker cable per myself, I have some QED silver anniversary cable from a previous system left over. Many thanks

Put it all together and listen.

Assuming your only source is vinyl then do yourself a favour and buy at least a 2M Bronze, then listen again.

I have no idea about the room you will be listening in but, if you don't like the resultant sound then sell it on. You've bought for a good price so should have no difficulty doing that.

You might save a good deal by buying the Elite power amp instead of the two monos.

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I will get hold of a Quad Elite cd player when funds allow, and im not sure how much life is left on the cartridge so will experiment with that too.

I looked at the Quad QSPs at £1000 ex demo, but thought i would get up grade fever and think i wish id bought the QMP and maybe the QSPs wasnt driving the Kefs to there full advantage.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Please let us know how it sounds as ive never heard opinion on that one before.
Hope you like it once your up and running.

Regarding the cable i personally would ditch it and get a very good quality thick pure copper 500 strand.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Dvddvd said:
Thanks any suggestions on brand ?

Ive got no name brand 500 stand 6mm cable very thick (possibly over kill) but when i changed from qed cheapies with silver the bass made a sudden impact. The cables were made for me by rick at musicraft as i brought a new amp from him.

Copper is copper but they say its the quality of the copper that counts. If you can borrow cables from a shop to test thats fine but you can make your own for a fraction of the cost

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The only part I can comment on is the speakers as a few years ago I had a pair myself powered by a Musical Fidelity A3. I never got the best out of them with that amp but they were a very good pair of speakers. As far as I can remember they sounded very 'hifi' and presented whatever details were in the music.

James

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Dvddvd, your source and speakers seem reasonable enough. You got them for a good enough price.

Those Quad amps seem rather expensive to me. Especially in the context of your system.

Something like a 2nd hand Sony TA-FES770 integrated would offer you the same sort of level of sound quality and speaker driving ability for about £500.

Use your old speaker cable if it's long enough.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And your turntable position and support and your speaker positioning and support will make far more difference to the sound quality of your system than your speaker cables.

A wall mounted shelf or something like an original Sound Organisation turntable table would be my choice, combined with placing your turntable as far away from your speakers as possible.

TRENDING THREADS