Anybody stream movies from their PC to their Xbox360 - and if so what do you use?

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I've been doing this for a while now via a wired network and a copy of the media server software called Tversity instead of Microsoft media centre. Tversity is great but every 10 minutes or so, the picture freezes/judders for a second. Very irritating.

Anybody use an alternative method or alternative program? I mostly play xvids (usually BD rips)

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
This is a good one , Microsoft are on top of things when it comes down to streaming to the 360 . I have use several different kinds of systems to stream to my 360 but when using torrent sites Microsoft will block them causing the film to hang / freeze or not start up , and now i can't use any third party software to stream to my xbox .

So i know have to put everything onto an external HDD but even this Microsoft can block the latest films . For example there are some very very very very new films you may have and want to watch you will have to turn the internet of within seconds of starting the film up or the film gets blocked within 30 seconds of watching the film

So you could try that

So it really depends on your films your watching or you shouldn't be watching , Microsoft are against piracy and will do everything they can to stop you watching things you shouldn't be unlike the PS3

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
Invest in a USB stick, pop the media on there and plug it into the front of the 360. Unless you have the 'N' wireless dongle for the console and a compatible router and PC it is difficult to get a constant stream of HD content. There is a system diagnostic setting on the XBox which allows you to test the best resolution you can stream from your PC without problems. If you can't get HD invest in a bit of CAT5 cable or a Powerline networking solution.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
landzw, are you having problems with playing files that have been fully downloaded to your PC or are they files that are being streamed off the net? I gather that its the first as the solution you offer involves turning off the net when the movie starts!

I can't see how Microsoft could block downloads unless they have a name checking database full of the ill gotten torrented files. Has your machine been banned from Live? A ban stops any xvid codecs being loaded. To stream BR rips you also do need a fast network, I think wired (maybe wireless N may also work - never tried it so not sure on that front).

I still think my problem is some sort of buffering problem, but i'll take a look at twonky and I also have the latest Nero which has a media sharing tool built in. Does anybody get the system working without any additional software on their pc and without using media centre?

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
On a slight tangent and it will never happen it would be handy for Apple to get into bed with Microsoft so it is possible to play rented/bought movies from iTunes on the 360 rather than having to invest in Apple TV. I know Microsoft has Zune Marketplace but iTunes seems to offer much more choice and has some good deals occasionally.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I would have to agree woodruffe , it would be good to see xbox and itunes more inline with things , as to be honest zune is still a flop with its movies .

And yes Peter Shields it was those damn torrent sites that did it for streaming which i don't use no more as i get all my films dirt cheap legally from a American Divx movie site at about £1.35 a film and £3.25 for HD movies , but i did download one last film before i scrapped the torrent sites which even when connected by a external HDD the film stops within 30 seconds of starting the film unless i disconnect the internet . No other film does this as they are all now legally downloaded films

TRENDING THREADS