Anybody own the (pal) Boogie Nights Blu Ray?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone owns the UK version, released last week?

I know the US release is region free, and among the special features is a director's commentary from Anderson. Hopefully the UK release has followed suit, but as we're often short-changed with UK DVD/Blu Ray releases, I probably shouldn't take this for granted.

None of the major sellers seem to list the special features for the UK release, or whether there's a lossless soundtrack. If anybody knows, please post to say...

F

FunkyMonkey

What do you mean by PAL? Is that word relevant for 1080p Blu Ray? Or do you simply mean Euro Region?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks Clare.
emotion-21.gif
It's the presence of the director's commentary in particular that I'm interested in...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash:Many thanks Clare.
emotion-21.gif
It's the presence of the director's commentary in particular that I'm interested in...

It's the presence of Heather Graham sans clothing that I'm interested in.
emotion-4.gif
emotion-2.gif

I have it on DVD, I would be interested to hear if the BD version is a big step forward.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure Heather will look suitably arresting in 1080p!

The UK DVD release is awful quality (I used to own the US Laserdisc and this blew the DVD away in terms of sound and picture). Reviews of the US Blu Ray state sound/picture quality is excellent, so hopefully this remains the case with the UK BD.

As the US release is region free, it would be interesting to get a comparison of the two, but appreciate it's unlikely any forum member owns copies from both regions.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I would of thought that both bluray versions would be the same in PQ etc

They both have Dolby HD soundtracks and the same Picture ratios, and extras

Buy with confidence mate
emotion-21.gif

Strange that the region 2 dvd was poor, the region 1 version was very good in the pic and audio dept, plus it was a cool digipack version as well

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Garth Man:
Two reviews are here guys

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Boogie-Nights-Blu-ray/5389/#Review

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2873/boogienights.html

I think its bit of a no brainer, I have the Bluray disc (region free) and its fanastic PQ and audio, and thats comparing it to the Region 1 special edition (2 DISC) I have

Plus the region free has the better Artwork to to the Region B version
emotion-2.gif

Cheers Garth Man.
emotion-21.gif

I'd seen the reviews of the US release. Just wondered if we were getting short-changed -- as is often the case -- with the version released in the UK.

I agree with you about the artwork: the UK box is particularly dull.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Garth Man:
I would of thought that both bluray versions would be the same in PQ etc

They both have Dolby HD soundtracks and the same Picture ratios, and extras

Buy with confidence mate
emotion-21.gif

Strange that the region 2 dvd was poor, the region 1 version was very good in the pic and audio dept, plus it was a cool digipack version as well

Cheers mate. I'd still be intrigued to know what anybody owing the region 2 Blu Ray thinks. The difference in quality between the region 1 Laserdisc and region 2 DVD was astounding -- quite simply night and day.

You would assume this isn't the case with different Blu Ray versions, where emphasis on sound/pic quality is so great, but then everyone thought DVD was incredible in the early days as well, and we got some shocking releases over here...

TRENDING THREADS