Anybody know which speaker is better the Kef R100 or the Q acoustic concept 20

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Has anybody heard or compared these speakers? If so how do they compare? I am assuming the Kef R100 being almost twice the price would be the better of the two? I am using a Denon AVRX2000

Thanks

:)

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption to make. Admittedly, I haven't heard the Q Acoustics, but having compared them with my own speakers, the KEF R series speakers have completely changed my expectation of what one should expect at their pricepoint. Needless to say, I have some saving to do!

T

the record spot

I demoed the KEF R100 along with a bunch of others in 2011. I ended up going with my current speakers, the Tannoy DC4. The R100s I found rather plodding in the bass. Yes, they do all the stuff they're supposed to, but the end result is - to my mind at any rate - significantly less than the hype heaped upon them. The DC4 might not have a bass extension like the R100s, but it brings far, far more to the party and, if it's a small speaker you'd be interested in, I'd recommend it at the drop of a hat.

matthewpiano

I agree with RS. I found the R100s are too heavy footed, KEF trying to hard to produce prodigious bass from a small enclosure. They are great speakers in many ways but not for me.

Personally, I'd rather have the Q Acoustics. I find their speakers so enjoyable to listen to.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Whilst the R Series does produce quite a lot of bass (many people used to complain when KEF didn't produce enough bass :roll:), I find using them properly overcomes this 'issue'. Firstly, the right amplifier choice sorts out any 'plodiness' than some seem to hear. Also, using the outer part of the provided port bungs really helps. Other than placement, these two aspects ensure the bass is tight, balanced, and punchy.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I found that the bass of the Kef R100 has a tendency to be boomy, although it doesn't happen with all tracks. To resolve this I replaced my previous Naim XS with an Arcam A19—which also helped improving the bass much—and keep the speakers 80 cm (a bit more than 2.5') from the back wall. These speakers do appreciate space around. Now the bass is never boomy with any tracks.

I think they have very good bass for their size, even though they are small speakers that go as far as they go.

I also have a pair of Q Acoustics BT3. I know they area bit smaller than the Concept 20 so they comparison is not fair, but as much as I like the Q Acoustics, I find that the Kefs are the better speakers in all possible aspects.

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm interesting divide of opinions here. I have heard the Kef R100s they sound really good. I really need to get a demo of the Concept 20s.

I can't see this competing with the Kef R100s IMHO but I know they Concept 20s have rave reviews. I expect ppl to have a different opinion on which is better as ppl have different requirements and preferences but at nearly double to difference in price I would expect the difference to be night and day. Anyone agree? Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Danny1 said:
I would expect the difference to be night and day. Anyone agree? Thanks

Impossible to answer, as there are too many variables at play, such as:

- Personal preference

- The ancillary equipment (quality of source / amp)

- The room size / construction

- The room's acoustic sound signature (how decorated)

- The positioning / placement of speakers

- The quality of the speaker stands and whether they have been mass loaded

- The type of cables used

- System synergy

Hi Danny1

If you are willing to consider used/discontinued loudspeakers then ATC's SCM7 MK2 (previous range - discontinued last year) monitors are also worth bearing in mind. You should you should be able to find a pair of SCM7 MK2 monitors within £600.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Danny,

Having auditioned both earlier this year - the Concept 20's at home - the answer to your question is the KEFs by a country mile, IMHO. However, at 5-£600 there are plenty of alternatives and only your ears can decide. As you can see from my signature, the Dyns won and continue to please. They were not even on my original audition list.

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I auditioned both and ended up with the Concept 20s + matching stands. The R100s are good, make no mistake, but so are the Concept 20s. One of my friends has the R100s so I get to hear them regularly and I never leave his house thinking I'm missing anything but then a lot comes down to room, amp etc. You can't go wrong with either speaker IMO.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have listened properly to both, and I say horses fo courses. Howeever, when set up properly, the KEFs are far better. Not just the bass thing that everyone seems to mention, but in terms of excitement, space, soundstage etc in a decent sized room.

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Danny1

If you are willing to consider used/discontinued loudspeakers then ATC's SCM7 MK2 (previous range - discontinued last year) monitors are also worth bearing in mind. You should you should be able to find a pair of SCM7 MK2 monitors within £600.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm not so sure an AV amp would be the best device to be driving one of the most inefficient small-box speakers around.

Don't you think something more efficient would be better for the OP?

Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Danny1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm not so sure an AV amp would be the best device to be driving one of the most inefficient small-box speakers around.

Don't say that. :poke: (There may be trouble ahead...) ;)

Do think the OP would benefit from better amplification, though.

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Danny1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Don't say that. :poke: (There may be trouble ahead...) ;)

Do think the OP would benefit from better amplification, though.

That or some speakers that have better than a measured 82.1dB... :grin:

T

the record spot

My amp comfortably drives the Pioneer S71-b which is also an 82db speaker. No hassle at all.

the record spot said:
My amp comfortably drives the Pioneer S71-b which is also an 82db speaker. No hassle at all.

That's jolly nice to hear (technically it is 83dB but who's counting?). I expect it would as it is twice as powerful and originally cost four times as much as the OP's amp.

It will then have a lot less hassle driving something even more efficient. :)

T

the record spot

Your point was can an AV amp cut it. I gave my example. The Denon is 150wpc discrete, so the difference in power delivery is pretty negligible. It'll cut it.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Kef Uni-Q drivers create an excellent soundstage you won't find in Q Acoustics.. I did audition R300 a lot and these are beautiful speakers that pair well with above avarage amplification ( I wouldn't use them with budget ar AV amps) and really need space around them... so to answer your question probably Q Acoustics are the ones you'll like more but you can only deicide.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts