Any reason not to buy DL-160?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Is there any reason not to buy a Denon DL-160 cart for a Technics 1210?

I know that I can upgrade the arm but like the idea that I can quickly remove to cart if the opportunity arrives to dj some tunes.

Thanks for the responses! 

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
No reason at all.

So long as you remember that the arm will need to be rebalanced and tracking weight reset each time you change over between different types of cartridge. You may even want to adjust VTA between uses of cartridges of different depth. It's not just 'plug 'n go' but maybe you know this already.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Actually it is a plug and play deck if you have spare head shells, the deck has a VTA adjuster at the base of the arm and is very simple to use, also it doesn't take long to change between cartridges once they are set up first of course. I used to have a SL1210 with a few spare head shells and would play around with different cartridges depending on the condition of some of my records, usually only took a couple of minutes to change between one or the other. The main cartridge i used for critical listening and the one i still use today is the Denon DL110, great cartridge so the 160 will sound very nice on your Technics.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ah OK. Had me worried.

That's simply what I meant in my first update by it not being 'plug 'n go'. Some work has to be done apart from swapping headshells.

This is obvious to you and I but not everyone (especially if unfamiliar with turntables).

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Yes always some work initially with the cartridges and head shells alignment but of course resetting of tracking weight bias and VTA only takes a minute once the cartridges have been aligned in the head shells so yes i agree for those not familiar with TT set up it's simply not plug and go but for you and i we have a bit more experience but i'm still learning. By the way what protractor did you use for your Ortofon as i may have a tip for you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregory: By the way what protractor did you use for your Ortofon as i may have a tip for you.

I used both the 'Vinyl Engine' Stevenson (for Rega) and Baerwald (for Rega) arc protractors and did extensive listening with both alignments before deciding on Stevenson as better overall for me.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I used both of those and a couple of others but for me Rega's own protractor was the best of the lot but that was for the Denon cartridge might be worth a try though with the ortofon.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for that.

It looks like I'll be asking the missus for a DL-160 for my birthday.

My mother has offered to get me a Clearer audio copperline mains cable and it looks like I'll be 'gifting' myself a nosti antistat record cleaning thingy.

I now need to book some time with myself and the system.ÿ

Happy days!!!ÿ

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello Lee,

as Chebby mentioned earlier, the Vinyl Engine. It's a great source for all things analogue and a whole lot more. They have down loadable protractors to suit your arm and cartridge and TT. Well worth a visit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts