Any point buying speakers other than Monitor Audio?

Bobbyhifi

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Looking through the September issue I can't help but notice that nearly all reviews of non-Monitor Audio speakers have the "Also Consider" alternative of a Monitor Audio product if there's one relative - but when the new MA GX50 is reviewed no alternative is offered! Are Monitor Audio really that good that there's nothing to compare to their products and they're recommended in place of all others?? :D

A

Anonymous

Having recently chosen Monitor Audio i can assure you that there is plenty of other viable options , atleast in the price levels i was looking at. Just so happened the particular music i listen to was well suited to the MA speakers but there was not much in it.

I decided on the silver range but initially based on reviews i demo'ed BX2's, they were in my mind not as good as other at that price point even though the reviewers loved them i certianly have heard better from other makes.

Ones reason i am sure MA get the "also consider" is ease of finding them, especially outside the UK its a brand that is very common.

A

Anonymous

Dynaudio, EB Acousitcs ATC Roksan xtz e.t.c.

Monitor Audio look good ......... so sell well!

Bobbyhifi

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I must admit they always look smart. I just find it interesting that they are the alternative recommendation to almost every other speaker rather than there being stronger options at different price points. A little odd that no alternative was offered to their GX50 too! Are we to think nothing competes with them or just an oversight?

I'm not in a postition to change my Hi-Fi for a while, I just think it looks like there's very little competition when reading through the mag!

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't remotely impressed - boxy bass, bright treble, not terribly well balanced. However, they do well in short demos, it's only when you start listening for a while you realise their shortcomings. That's the B something range, by the way, didn't bother listening to the others.

Can you do better? Sure. From what little I heard the Dynaudio cheapies and the Mordaunt Short Mezzos are in a different class.

Bobbyhifi

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've always found that in demos, I hear some impressive things but then on a longer listen decide I prefer something less "boom-tizz" and smoother, I usually end up buying things I'd never considered before having a demo on the shop recommendation. I wonder how much time is listened in reviews and how the room acoustics compare to a "normal" room...

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
It's all about taste. I think the Monitor Audio BX2 is a great speaker. They need their time to sound good though. The Dynaudio X 12 I had were not my taste at all. The bass seems detached from the rest of the music, the DM series has this problem too.

There is no 'better' speaker, just different sounding speakers.

A

Anonymous

Cypher said:
It's all about taste. I think the Monitor Audio BX2 is a great speaker. They need their time to sound good though. The Dynaudio X 12 I had were not my taste at all. The bass seems detached from the rest of the music, the DM series has this problem too.

Sorry Cypher, that's a bit misleading. the DM series does not have a sound where the bass is detached. I am listening to a very well balanced speaker at the moment with no note of what you just mentioned.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Bobbyhifi said:
I've always found that in demos, I hear some impressive things but then on a longer listen decide I prefer something less "boom-tizz" and smoother, I usually end up buying things I'd never considered before having a demo on the shop recommendation. I wonder how much time is listened in reviews and how the room acoustics compare to a "normal" room...
Yeah, exactly my system, which is why I'm getting the Maggies.

As an aside I think the excellence of the reviews in the mag and the forums can give you false hopes. I expected a helluva lot from the B whatevers and found them really disappointing when they turned out to be average budget speakers at best. Perhaps they're not as bad as I remember, but I won't be bothering to listen to Monitor Audios again. Same thing for Sonus Fabers - landed on these shores expecting to snare a couple of what the reviews told me were some of the world's greatest speakers, but found them far too polite for my tastes, - they kind of mellowed AC/DC if you know what I mean.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Cypher, I have heard quite a few speakers and have recently owned MA BX2s and now have MA RX1s.

IMO they are great speakers and give very good value for money.

I am not so young and perhaps if I were I would find them bright but to my aged ears they are just right. My RX1s do indeed have a good bass response better to me than anything else I have heard at the same price or even at a higher price. But again IMO it is well controlled and not boomy. The rest of my system is Rega Brio R and Audiolab 8200CD player. To me this system is great.

Is it because of the components gel together well, is it my earing, or is it that the system also suits my room.???

I will certainly vote in favour of MA any day and my next step is actually to buy some MA RX6s

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Limey said:
Cypher said:

Sorry Cypher, that's a bit misleading. the DM series does not have a sound where the bass is detached. I am listening to a very well balanced speaker at the moment with no note of what you just mentioned.

That's exactly what I mean...........I hear a detached bass, you do not. The bass (to my ears) is not integrated well with the rest of the music. The BX2 has much better bass IMO.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Bobbyhifi said:
Looking through the September issue I can't help but notice that nearly all reviews of non-Monitor Audio speakers have the "Also Consider" alternative of a Monitor Audio product if there's one relative - but when the new MA GX50 is reviewed no alternative is offered! Are Monitor Audio really that good that there's nothing to compare to their products and they're recommended in place of all others?? :D

Thought some facts and context would be useful here.

We don't add a 'Also Consider' panel to all reviews - some have system builders (like the Monitor Audio GX50 review); others have Reviewers notes (lead First Test on the Yamaha receiver), 'Living with it" (Temptations review of B&W PM1 p80); 'test/use it with' panels (almost every page of first test); some others 'Needs to beat' (see Panasonic Blu-ray player test p11 September issue).

And there are certainly other speaker/speaker package suggestions within that First Test section - B&W 685 Theatre is the Also Consider package against the Klipsch review on p19; Q Acoustics 2010 is the Also Consider vs the Roth Oli 10s on p21; B&W PV1 is Also Consider vs the Velodyne sub on p21.

It's just the mix of products in the September issue that threw up three, varying comparisons for Monitor Audio products - a standmount, a floorstander and a high-end AV package.

Other than a review of its new iPod dock, there's not a single mention of Monitor Audio in the First Test section of the new, October issue: there are speakers from Q Acoustics, Acoustic Energy, Dali, Spendor, Wharfedale and Veloydne, however. MA reappears in a Group Test further in the issue...

...which brings me on to note that where 'Also Consider' panels aren't given - typically on five-star products - it's usually not long before we Group Test the promising product concerned in a subsequent issue - that will most certainly be the case wtih the GX50s (and indeed that Yamaha receiver, which gets a Group Test in the issue coming out this week).

Finally, we do of course also have a 52-page Buyer's Guide listing plenty of alternatives at every price point.

Hope this makes things a little clearer - do let us know if you have any other queries.

A

Anonymous

Cypher said:
The Limey said:
Cypher said:

That's exactly what I mean...........I hear a detached bass, you do not. The bass (to my ears) is not integrated well with the rest of the music. The BX2 has much better bass IMO.

Well I agree with you, it is definitely down do personal taste, MA and Dynaudios do make different sounding speakers. But the DM's are still a balanced speaker in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Lo Fi said:
I agree with Cypher, I have heard quite a few speakers and have recently owned MA BX2s and now have MA RX1s.

IMO they are great speakers and give very good value for money.

I am not so young and perhaps if I were I would find them bright but to my aged ears they are just right. My RX1s do indeed have a good bass response better to me than anything else I have heard at the same price or even at a higher price. But again IMO it is well controlled and not boomy. The rest of my system is Rega Brio R and Audiolab 8200CD player. To me this system is great.

Is it because of the components gel together well, is it my earing, or is it that the system also suits my room.???

I will certainly vote in favour of MA any day and my next step is actually to buy some MA RX6s

Can't comment on modern MA's because I've not heard any, but as the owner of Studio 20SEs for the last 15 years, I can vouch for their longevity and lasting appeal. I agree with Lo FI - it depends on your room and matching equipment. Music Matters allowed me to test in my home enviroment which prevented an expensive mistake with some KEFs that had sounded great in their listening room. As with any speaker, if I move them slightly towards a wall or corner, they sound different. Ditto toe-in, mass loading and several other factors. I found that the most critical change to the tonal balance of my system was trying different digital interconnects. Electronics, Meridian 506/24, 501, 555 all 100% reliable and enjoyable 15 years on. The UK does have a manufacturing sector that we can be proud of.

azorro

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
What about ProAC? All models I have heard IMO sound beautifully natural and the more you listen them the more you like them... plus they all have 5-star reviews in WHF.

matthewpiano

Of course there is a point in buying makes other than Monitor Audio. The performance of a speaker is so massively affected by, and related to, the room in which it is used, that the same speaker can sound quite different in different spaces. The other key element is, of course, synergy. Quite simply no speaker works equally well with every amp.

I like Monitor Audio and I'm particularly impressed with the BX2s. Contrary to earlier comments in this thread, I find them to be beautifully balanced and controlled. They have a superbly life-like and fluid midrange and the whole sound is very well integrated. They won't suit bass heads - there is plenty there but they certainly don't have the heft of B&Ws - but then most B&Ws don't suit me. All this is, of course, in the context of my room and my system.

I also own a pair of MS Aviano 2s, some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, Mission 751s, and Quad 11Ls and all offer different strengths and weaknesses. Out of all of them the MAs work the best for me, but somebody else might prefer one of the others and in a different room I might even prefer one of the others!

Sliced Bread

altruistic.lemon said:
Wasn't remotely impressed - boxy bass, bright treble, not terribly well balanced. However, they do well in short demos, it's only when you start listening for a while you realise their shortcomings. That's the B something range, by the way, didn't bother listening to the others.

Can you do better? Sure. From what little I heard the Dynaudio cheapies and the Mordaunt Short Mezzos are in a different class.
Ditto for the rx series too (and add confused to the list also).

Suppose it comes down to pairing, room acoustics and personal taste.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As you can see from my sig, I'm a bit of an MA fan. I've tried others but have settled on MA. IMO they offer great vfm for each models price point. Although if I'm honest I do still hanker after sone Proacs.

A

Anonymous

azorro said:
What about ProAC? All models I have heard IMO sound beautifully natural and the more you listen them the more you like them... plus they all have 5-star reviews in WHF.

My view is that Proac and Tannoy are better in most areas, but MAs are popular!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Monitor Audio makes great speakers. No speaker will make everyone happy. Also, room placement and room acoustics make a big differene. If you have limited placement options than you have to select your speaker accordingly. If you are lucky enough to be able to try them in different locations in the room then you will find MA's RX6 and the older RS6 are fantastic value with first rate sound to price ratio. Of course as good as MA's are, Dynaudio is better. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts