Any of the modern AV Receivers do a good job at 2 Channel Audio?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
record_spot said:
plastic penguin said:
record_spot said:
I just dispute the suggestion that only one company appears capable of delivering great two channel performance in an AV receiver.

Who's said that, RS? I've not read anything detrimental in this thread about other AV receivers.

In the past other people have been, but that goes with the hi-fi/AV territory.

Apart from the Arcam I've only heard one other multi-channel receiver - the bro-in-laws budget Sony.

Perhaps I ought to have been clearer if you'd been following the thread. My comments followed on from one of Cno's earlier posts herein. No biggie. More of an implication than anything else.

Think we all have our personal favourites, and that's good to have a bias as long as no-one disrespects other brands. All brands have their individual virtues: I'm sure Onkyo are every bit as good as any receiver, but it's down to the individual to choose which make suits their personal needs the best.

I've been slagged off for liking MA Silver speakers - I still think they are one of the best in their price bracket. C'est la vie.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use a Sony STR DB930 in 2 channel mode in a second system. It's superbly built, full of boutique parts and sounds glorious. Good phono stage and DAC's only add to the value. I've removed all S-Video/superfluous circuits and done a few other things but even in its original form it is a formidable stereo amplifier imho. - On one site this thing has been compared to Conrad Johnson.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
record_spot said:
Perhaps I ought to have been clearer if you'd been following the thread.  My comments followed on from one of Cno's earlier posts herein. No biggie.  More of an implication than anything else.
I have no problem with your comments and can only give my experience.

Just to clarify, my opinion was formed after hearing big hitters like Pioneer Susano and Anthem Statement DV2 and P5, as well as lesser models from Yamaha. The Anthem was staggering for AV, but for me, lacked a little emotional connection with 2 channel.

I haven't heard any of the recent offerings from other brands, but suspect they are generally more focused on including the latest tech, like Atmos etc. There may of course be exceptions, as you pointed out.

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Then you wont go far wrong with the Anthen MRX, i have a Arcam 300 which is decent too for its age, but the room correction on the Athen is second to none, and its important to know that most demo rooms are ideal for audio, where our living rooms are not, and will have a big impact on how our equipment will sound when we get it home, no matter what you paid for it, from my experience anything under £1000 will sound more or less the same, with features being the deal breaker rather than the sound quality, again that only my experience and opinion.

And also depend what you expectations are, you might find some of the budget stuff more than acceptable depending on what you have been use too, demo as much as you can and take along discs that you know well.

It don’t believe in the burning period, but i do believe that our ears and brain adjust to what we listen to and over time simple sounds better as we adjust, i find this more with audio i know well, as there has been times when i have put my favourite disc on and found myself wondering what a certain noise was only to realise that it was simple more detail in the disc that i have not heard before with previous equipment, which annoys me at first but soon get use to and appreciate what im hearing.

Good luck on whatever you choose

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
To my ears, my £300 Yamaha AV sounds every bit as good as my Arcam amp which originally cost twice the price and a Lyngdorf amp which cost 5 times as much (although that had more headroom and drove quite a bit louder with no distortion). Currently being used on some Dali Ikon 6.

My opinion these days is that 2 channel amps are pointless. YMMV.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I was part of the What Hi Fi's Big Question few years ago...

So was I (although not the same one) and it's about time they brought it back. With lots of new kit and technologies out there now it would be good to revisit a few of the topics.

I'm up for it! *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS