Any news of Audiolab M-DAC + ?

kean

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I heard Audiolab M-DAC + launched several months ago but I still cannot find any review of this DSD DAC.

So is there anyone has tried it and could you pls share your experience? or any reveiew can be provided ?

Thanks a lot !

Gray

Full review in the latest Hi-Fi Choice mag (and I think in next months WHF)

I must admit to preferring the look of the original MDAC. But each to their own and it's not about looks is it?

As we would expect, the review speaks of great sound. Apparently less display info than on MDAC though - which won't bother everyone.

kean

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi Gray,Thanks for your kind reply. I will absolutely purchase the latest issue of hifi choice and next issue of WHF for the review ; )

BTW, would you like to give me some suggestion that in the same price range, is there any other brilliant DAC with headphone output and preamp?

Thank you!

Gray

I've not fully read the review yet, but it seems they don't think you could buy better at the price.

Probably top value for anyone with digital only sources and just a power amp, that also needs a good headphone amp - especially if they have DSD files.

If you've read the DAC posts of others on this forum you may have seen the opinion that DAC differences are often only subtle - more subtle than the differences between most other components. I agree with them, though I've only tried DACs costing no more than £600.

I had the Audiolab 8200 CD player on home loan and as you may know, the DAC section of this player is the M-DAC, complete with its optical and coaxial inputs, which gave me a chance for a combination of CDP / DAC comparisons.

I fed the (coax) digital output of my Marantz CD6000KI and the (optical) output of my Humax Freesat box through (what was effectively) the M-DAC. Now the Marantz is a KI modified, old but nice sounding CD player but I expected an improvement from the M-DAC. I heard no improvement.

The sound of the Freesat box was improved by the M-DAC. The difference could indeed only be described as subtle but the sibilance on satellite radio was noticeably smoothed. Not much money would have gone into the DAC stage of the Freesat box so anyone could have expected an improvement when bypassing it with a 'best buy' DAC costing £350 more than the Humax.

In fairness to the Audiolab, this was a relatively short test and 'subtle' improvements are often more fully appreciated over time. Ultimately though I'm not rich so couldn't justify the £600 cost of an M-DAC for the improvement I noticed.

By all accounts there have been worthwile improvements to the M-DAC+, not least to the all important power supply (now within the main body as opposed to the previous 'wall wart') and I would like to hear it especially with DSD material.

I needed a USB DAC and in the end went for the (no longer available) Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC for under £100 which sounds OK, especially with 24 bit files but on 16 bit stuff does not better my CD player - which will come as no surprise to many of the other forum posters.

Good luck with your research, don't get too taken in by review superlatives and if you get the opportunity of a home loan, take it.

kean

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you again for your kind suggestion.

I just read the full review from hifi choice. Just as you described, this DAC is comprehensive improved from the previous edition . The only regret is about display lol.

So, my final decision is take your suggestion and take it : )

Thank you very much.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought new speakers to replace my Totem Arros that have gone to a friend. These Quadral speakers are in a different league altogether which means I now get deep bass & are generally excellent.

I borrowed a Chord Hugo TT for a few days a month ago. I was neither impressed with the SQ, the ergonomics nor the cheap looking external PSU that got rather hot & buzzed. I returned it & ordered am M-DAC+ to replace my standard M-DAC.

I was expecting the plus to sound modestly better - I was very wrong. Straight out of the box, the plus version exhibited tuneful bass that had been missing - it made the std version sound bass-light by comparison. Imaging was merely good at this stage but the treble was very slightly ragged but the sound was generally more spacious. After a week, the imaging improved to being excellent & the treble is smoother but the sound improves on audiolab's generically good dynamics.

Although not as pretty as the std one, the range of inputs is increased, plays DSD files & PCM file beyond what's likely to be needed. The display resolution isn't its best feature but is adequate with less information compared with the std one. Balance no longer has its own buttons on the fair-quality remote but still controls the music apps on my Mac Mini effectively enough. The build quality is v good.

Regarding availability, I was lucky, anyone interested may need to wait a few weeks. As for the Additional SQ From DSD files, it's too early to comment - the Shostakovich 7th symphony I bought cost me £20 but didn't leap out SQ-wise. The SQ of dacs has moved forward as the plus & the Dragonfly demonstrate. Nothing has changed my opinion that the mastering quality outweighs the file format if we exclude low bit-rate MP3s.

TRENDING THREADS