Any news about the Sony STR-DN1050?

cutter74

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
The first (and only) article on Sony's new amp replacing the successful DN1040 first appeared on this site in April with an estimated mid-May launch. It's been awfully quiet for this receiver; is it out yet in the UK? Is WHF planning to do a proper review on the amp anytime soon?

In case anyone from the WHF team is reading this post and are planning to do a review on the model, I'd kindly like to bring to your attention three things since the first customer reviews from US customers are somewhat alarming:

1. The unit features 3 HDMI outputs (which is the reason I am so interested in this unit in the first place), but there seems to be a caveat. The third HDMI output (labelled Zone 2 by Sony), does not seem to be able to carry digital audio, forcing you to connect a second amp to the DN1050 if you want to carry HDMI video and audio signals from this third HDMI output (Zone 2) to another location in your home.

There is a discussion about this on Amazon's US site started by consumers; some of them even posting chat messages with Sony's support centre verifying this as a fact and design limitation. As usual, Sony's owner's manual is a mess; vague and ambiguous, stating one thing on one section and another on the next section. In case the unit has arrived in the UK, I'd appreciate if someone could perform a very basic test. Hook up any kind of source (DVD/BD) on the amp and connect a TV on the amp's third (Zone 2) HDMI output. Is picture and sound coming from the TV set?

2. Power consumption might be an issue. There are reports that the unit consumes approximately 45W while in standby! I found this absolutely impossible to believe, since my STR-DA 4500ES consumes less than 2W in standby, if memory serves. In any case, anything more than 4 or 5W is ridiculous and would be a deal breaker.

3. No info on HDMI passthrough performance. As most of the people following the news on last year's DN1040 know, there were issues with the implementation of HDMI passthrough, making it impossible for the majority of consumers to take advantage of that feature (passing HDMI streams to TVs with the amp being in standby mode). No news yet on whether passthrough has been improved in this year's model.

Sorry for the long post but I really can't seem to find answers anywhere. I'm really interested in this unit but since it hasn't arrived in my country yet (Greece), there is no way to demo it and I can't justify purchasing the amp online without knowing that it checks all the right boxes.

Thanks for your time.

k--d--m

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
It has a page on the UK Sony website (I tried to post a link but was blocked by a spam warning) :doh: and the online manual on the site lists the following power consumption figures:
Power consumption
240 W
Power consumption (during standby mode) STR-DN1050: 0.3 W (When [Control for HDMI], [Pass Through], [Network Standby] (*), and [Bluetooth Standby] are set to [Off], and the receiver in zone 2 is turned off.) 0.7 W (When [Control for HDMI] is set to [On], [Pass Through], [Network Standby] (*), and [Bluetooth Standby] are set to [Off], and the receiver in zone 2 is turned off.) 1.3 W (When [Control for HDMI] and [Bluetooth Standby] are set to [On], [Pass Through] and [Network Standby] (*) are set to [Off], and the receiver in zone 2 is turned off.)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We haven't received a review sample of the STR-DN1050 yet, but what we do have – and there'll be a First Test in the August issue of the magazine – is the STR-DN850, the next model down in the range.

cutter74

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your answer Andy, looking forward to the review even though the DN850 does not feature the third HDMI output that its older brother carries. Maybe you can keep these questions in mind for your review when Sony finally provides you the DN1050.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi cutter74 - just to add to Andy's comments, we're hoping to get our hands on a 1050 in the not too distant future, so we'll be reporting back just as soon as we can...

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I went into the Liverpool shop on Thursday night to exchange a faulty 1040 and they said they had some 1050's in he back. So they must be available very soon. I think they are trying to get rid of their 1040 stock (although they've put the prices up £50 to £350 on these this week which was strange).

I just hope that they sort out the HDMI pass through problem. It makes it very difficult for the other half to watch Soaps on the Tivo with amplifier switch ons etc.

simonbolster

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Folks,

Just wondering if there's any further info on when we might see a review of the STR-DN1050 on (or in) What HiFi?

Dying to hear what you think of it before making a purchasing decision :)

Thanks,

Simon

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
It's in the building. It's been tested. And the results will be published in our September issue, on sale July 30th *wink* Oh, and we've also tested new models from Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha too.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Just to whet your appetite, the full test line-up is: Denon AVR-X2100W vs Onkyo TX-NR636 vs Pioneer VSX-924 vs Sony STR-DN1050 vs Yamaha RX-V677. Quite a contest.

simonbolster

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Well if that is not a reason to by the magazine, I don't know what is. Will most likely be making my decision of what to buy based on this group test - Bring. It. On.

Thanks in advance!

paulo72

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I currently own a Harman Kardon AVR2700. I read the review on the Sony 1040 and the 850. Look like 2 sweet AV receivers. I trust what hifi reviews, I purchased the JBL 530's on your review. I love the speakers. I'm contemplating on selling my HK and getting the sony 1050. Is this a smart move? I just wish the HK had HDMI passthrough. I also think that my speakers with the sweet dynamics of the new sony av receivers would sound fabulous. I love the HK for music, put the majority of usage is for TV and movies (Blu Ray and XBMC).

Paulo

paulo72

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
simonlewis said:
paulo72 said:
I'm contemplating on selling my HK and getting the sony 1050. Is this a smart move?

Paulo

Absolutely, go for it, read the latest mag.

Is that the September 2014 issue which will compare the sony 1050 to the Yamaha 677 , Denon x2100? Nobody sells What HIfi? mag where I live (Bermuda). How can I get the online issue to read on my PC (windows xP)? I want to read it ASAP if possible. Did they say the 1050 is even better than the 1040? I didn't get the 1040 because of the mainy compaints of HDMI issues.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes it's the september 2014 issue, i subscribe and it landed on my doorstep today, i can't say too much as i don't want to give too much away, i think it will be in the shops by wednesday so not too long to wait but definately worth a read if you are considering a new home cinema.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
paulo72 said:
Is that the September 2014 issue which will compare the sony 1050 to the Yamaha 677 , Denon x2100? Nobody sells What HIfi? mag where I live (Bermuda). How can I get the online issue to read on my PC (windows xP)? I want to read it ASAP if possible. Did they say the 1050 is even better than the 1040? I didn't get the 1040 because of the mainy compaints of HDMI issues.

You can subscribe to the digital edition either through Zinio, Google Play or Apple Newsstand:

http://www.whathifi.com/subscribe/

paulo72

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I found the zinio for windows xp pc. Downloaded it and it worked on a free magazine. I digitally subscribed to what hifi? I am viewing the August 2014 issue. When is the release date for digital for the September 2014 issue?

Paulo

paulo72

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I subscribe to zinio for What Hifi magazine. I read the September 2014 issue was supposed to be available on zinio on the newstand date. The mag was released on July 30. It is now August 2 and I haven't received it yet on zinio?

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
edit

edit

picture of my Sony 1050 and bdp s5200

love it

previously had the Kenwood krf v6100D + PS3

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
paulo72 said:
I subscribe to zinio for What Hifi magazine. I read the September 2014 issue was supposed to be available on zinio on the newstand date. The mag was released on July 30. It is now August 2 and I haven't received it yet on zinio?

I am about to get very angry
angry_smile.gif
Zinio uploaded the September issue several days before it was due to go on sale, so we asked them to remove it and then post it back up on July 30th, the correct on-sale date. Which they have failed to do. Emails are being sent as I write this to rectify the situation. Again, I can only apologise for the delay caused by an external supplier.

TRENDING THREADS