Any Group Test for Floorstanding Speakers under 1000 coming soon?

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi WhatHiFi,
Do you plan to have any Group Test of Floorstanding Speakers under 1000?
I would like to see a comparative test between Dali's Ikon 6, B&W 684, Monitor Audio's RS6 and maybe Rega's R5
Of course other models are also welcome
Any opinion on the above speakers?
I currently have a Cyrus One (but hope soon to upgrade to Cyrus 6vs2 or 8vs2) and Marantz CD6002
I listen to Film Music and Classical but I wouldn't mind some nice bass when I listen to light jazz or New Age
They have to stand in front of a back wall (not in the middle of the room) and my plan is to use them as front speakers in a future AV system (maybe with an Onkyo 875 or similar)

Thanks in advance,

A

Anonymous

I think there was a review on the RS8, ATCs, Jamos and Neat Motive 2 recently - perhaps check if you can get a Feb 2008 copy.

A

Anonymous

I recently bought a pair of Dynaudio 72SE for just over 1k from Moorgate Acoustics. The RRP is/was £1750 as they're approaching end of line.

WHF gave them a luke warm reception, but trust me, with Cyrus they are freakin' awesome!!

A

Anonymous

Don't forget the new Mission 794's and Tannoy revolution floorstanders. Mission's new speakers are silky smooth and is very suitable for Jazz and vocals while the the Tannoy's are more versatile that can handle all types of music very well but is more bright sounding so you have to partner it carefully.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Dalis are great speakers, one of my best ever purchases. Midrange is especially good and not even a hint of brightness with my Arcam, yet strings and voices come through beautifully. Biamped they also have immense control and subtlety. They come highly recommended.

Mine are also only about 30-40cm from the back wall and pretty much crammed in to the side walls due to lack of space and I've never had any problems with boom, although the bass is plenty sufficient.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Another shout for the Dali Ikon 6's here. I compared them to the B&W 683 and much preferred the Dali's , more crisp detail, especially quick bass, solid midrange and exceptional treble with the extra ribbon tweeter.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
In theory the 684 should be better than the 683 so I would really like to see a group test by WhatHiFi between Ikon 6, B&W 684 and 3-4 more models such as MA's RS6 or RS8 and maybe the Mission 794, the Tannoy and the Regas......
I am a Mission fan so if the 794 come close to the performance of the Ikon 6 I will considered them. I have to listen the 684 too....
Anyone knows if the Cyrus 6vs2 or 8vs2 has any preference on any of the above floorstanding models?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'd also love to see that test... Monitor Audio, Mission and B&W are my 3 favourite speaker manufacturers... (I've never heard Dali or Rega though).... but I'm sure a group test with those 5 should be a good read...

A

Anonymous

That's a great idea, Dennis! I would also be interested to see how the new EPOS M22i fares against all these great speakers.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
The ball is to WhatHiFi Editors :)
Hope we can have that test in October's issue as it is already late for the September's issue out on July 24th
A big Group Test (8-10 floorstanding speakers) under 1000 GBP

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I think they'd have to use the M16i, since the M22i is a $100 over budget.. but yeah, they should definitely have an EPOS in the lineup...

A

Anonymous

I did an A/B comparison between 683's and 684's and I have to say that the 683's are much better. The 683's deliver a cleaner and clearer sound due to it's 3 way speaker. The difference in clarity was very evident during my audition but the main concern with the 683's is you would need a larger room and room placement is critical.

I'm also currently hunting for floorstanders under 1k and I have to say the Mission 794's is still at the top of my list after listening to quite a number of brands.

Clare Newsome:OK, we get the message! Will put it on the list...

Claire, can you add to the list floorstanders only. I can't remember the last time this was done, although must be at least two years. Would be good to see results of 'like for like' speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dennis Michos:

What is the price of the 794's?
I like their design but I am not sure if their sound can top Ikon 6
I look forward to a What HiFi group test!!

£1k. I just listened to them. They look gorgeous and would be the pride of any living room. Generally equalled and bettered by Rega's in openness and bass. But they (missions) were'nt run in properly so a fair comparison was not possible. Having said that, the Rega is half the price and the missions will never improve that much to compensate for the price difference (imo).

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare,

After all these positive comments about Rega's R3 we need to see a review from the best HiFi mag in the world :)
Please include also Ikon 6, Mission 794, B&W 684, MA RS6 and why not Epos M22 + two, three other models that were mentioned in previous responses
Thanks!!!!!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Dennis Michos:

Clare,

After all these positive comments about Rega's R3 we need to see a review from the best HiFi mag in the world :)
Please include also Ikon 6, Mission 794, B&W 684, MA RS6 and why not Epos M22 + two, three other models that were mentioned in previous responses
Thanks!!!!!

To Keep the comparison fair, I think it should be Floorstanders from about $600 - $1000...

So I think they should review the Rega R5 ($700) rather than the R3 (only $500) and the Epos M16i ($850) rather than the M22i (which is over budget at $1,100).... Otherwise, you end up with some very unfair comparisons, such as the $500 R3 Versus the $1,100 M22i....

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
This makes absolute sense. Speakers from 600-1000 GBP should be considered.
Other speakers falling out of this price tag like M22i or the R3 could be tested seperately (out of the group test) but I do want to see a WhatHiFi review of the R3s
A mega group test of 10 floorstenders between 600-1000 GBP. That is what we need :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts