Any experiences with michell gyrodec SE

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Disclaimer : Iam not considering vinyl yet. But with tidal in distress, a different backup would be prudent. So just sounding out different options.

I have this absolute lust for the michell gyrodec SE, ever since I first set eyes. It is to the point of being obsessed with possessing one, even if I never actually spin it. Would be great if it makes the grade in sound quality too. Would be glad to know if anyone has any listening experience with this beauty :)

Thanks for your time.....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Is tying up with big music labels to launch a high quality streaming service called remix on their YouTube platform. Google seems to be peicing things together, as apparently tidal is running out of money.

So my 20 dollars a month isn't helping much :)

I’ve heard the model you mention a few times and it’s always been superb. I own the more modest lead-in model that does without the elaborate springing! Still looks nice, with an obvious engineering quality sometimes missing from similarly priced tables.

I am sure you’d be delighted.

As for streaming, aren’t there quite a few alternatives if one does go down the tubes? I use Qobuz, but it has a French slant others dislike. I like it a lot.

insider9

Tidal is supposedly in Trouble every few months :)

Google might be onto something but I'm guessing they will still have a strong competition from Spotify and Apple Music. Do you know if Remix is supposed to be lossless?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
I’ve heard the model you mention a few times and it’s always been superb.  I own the more modest lead-in model that does without the elaborate springing!  Still looks nice, with an obvious engineering quality sometimes missing from similarly priced tables. 

As for streaming, aren’t there quite a few alternatives if one does go down the tubes?  I use Qobuz, but it has a French slant others dislike.  I like it a lot. 

Growing up with machines all around, I can appreciate engineering when I see it. But the late Sir michell, has elevated the engineering to an art form with this deck. Not many tables I have seen, evoke the same feelings in me. And certainly nothing in this price range.

Really glad that it sounds superb too. Thanks for sharing that :)

The problem with most streaming sites is that I will need a vpn of some kind to cheat into their service, as they haven't launched yet in india. Tidal is the only one so far, which works here, as long as I pay up every month. So I would be really shattered if tidal went belly up.

Besides I don't have any great collection of my own. I don't own any cd's. Have a few thousand downloaded mp3's, and a few dsd tracks I bought from HD tracks. So I will have to start acquiring music now. And hence the idea of getting my first turntable. I would rather buy music from hd tracks than buy cd's. But iam open to owning vinyl as a physical possession, after major put it across as being part of the experience :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Tidal is supposedly in Trouble every few months :)

Google might be onto something but I'm guessing they will still have a strong competition from Spotify and Apple Music. Do you know if Remix is supposed to be lossless?

But it is a very scary prospect for me. I would literally have to rethink my entire setup again. I was convinced I would go with roon till this evening. But now I really don't know :)

No point spending so much to play my crappy mp3's. Probably roon would freeze in shock at the garbage it gets fed in my system.

mp3 to dsd128 up scaling...haha...roon would rather commit suicide than play :)

insider9

This subject has been raised many times on Roon forum. Guys at Roon realise that many people want more streaming services integrated or at the very least be able to use Roon as a device so that DSP and multi room functions can be engaged.

My advice would be to try it. If and when you do look for a 60 day trial code. They do extended trials once in a while. Then if you're happy get an annual subscription. It would be rare for Roon not to do a big update during a year. Who knows it may have the features we all want. But it may be that you'll decide to go with something else.

Last update improved Roon radio and queuing among other things. These things were definitely a step forward.

My main reason not going with Vinyl is not the fact I can't do DSP but the fact I listen to a lot of new, at least to me, music. That's solely down to availability thanks to streaming. Should I want to buy it all I'd spend way more every month. Only the favourites get repeat listens. Right now it's the new A Perfect Circle that came out on Friday. (Only waited 14 years for that one)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
nopiano said:
I’ve heard the model you mention a few times and it’s always been superb. I own the more modest lead-in model that does without the elaborate springing! Still looks nice, with an obvious engineering quality sometimes missing from similarly priced tables.

As for streaming, aren’t there quite a few alternatives if one does go down the tubes? I use Qobuz, but it has a French slant others dislike. I like it a lot.

Growing up with machines all around, I can appreciate engineering when I see it. But the late Sir michell, has elevated the engineering to an art form with this deck. Not many tables I have seen, evoke the same feelings in me. And certainly nothing in this price range.

Really glad that it sounds superb too. Thanks for sharing that :)

The problem with most streaming sites is that I will need a vpn of some kind to cheat into their service, as they haven't launched yet in india. Tidal is the only one so far, which works here, as long as I pay up every month. So I would be really shattered if tidal went belly up.

Besides I don't have any great collection of my own. I don't own any cd's. Have a few thousand downloaded mp3's, and a few dsd tracks I bought from HD tracks. So I will have to start acquiring music now. And hence the idea of getting my first turntable. I would rather buy music from hd tracks than buy cd's. But iam open to owning vinyl as a physical possession, after major put it across as being part of the experience :)

If you love well engineered Turntables, take a look at an SME. This company makes things for aerospace that nobody else can, along with TT’s and tonearms. They are obsessed with engineering to the point where they make absolutely everything themselves. Even the screws used to bolt bits together.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
Personally I'd be looking at exploring the CD route before committing myself to a vinyl playback system. For me vinyl is the pinnacle of my system but it comes at a high price with an enormous of faff and attention to detail regarding set-up, cleanliness, and storage. £3K can buy an awful lot of CDs and as you do not have an existing vinyl collection I'd be looking elsewhere for my kicks. Vinyl done badly will see you running back to your downloads very quickly.

If your heart is set on it then go for it, the Michell is a fine deck. But please sample proper CDs first and get away from those damned mp3's.

For saving me the time to write similar.
Newlash: just buy physical copy and put it on hhd.

I wouldn't be enticed by fancy looking turntables.
Total waste of money unless you already rich and bored imo of course.

D

Deleted member 108165

Personally I'd be looking at exploring the CD route before committing myself to a vinyl playback system. For me vinyl is the pinnacle of my system but it comes at a high price with an enormous amount of faff and attention to detail regarding set-up, cleanliness, and storage. £3K can buy an awful lot of CDs and as you do not have an existing vinyl collection I'd be looking elsewhere for my kicks. Vinyl done badly will see you running back to your downloads very quickly.

If your heart is set on it then go for it, the Michell is a fine deck. But please sample proper CDs first and get away from those damned mp3's.

If you don't have any vinyl, starting anew could be a money pit. I would look at other formats, such as CDs or other forms of digital playback first. IME you need to be really committed to vinyl to make it worthwhile.

FWIW, I did hear the Gyrodec when demoing turntables: Yes, it is on the blingy side but the SQ is superb. The caveat is: It comes with a hefty price tag.

If you can swallow the cost go and dem one and decide.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
For your well intended replies. You are all right in that, I don't necessarily have to resort to vinyl as a back up to tidal.

@Infiniteloop - Thanks for pointing out the SME. Will have to sell my house, if not my kidneys to get one :)

Do look superbly engineered. But to my eyes the Michelle looks a peice of art. A rare combination of the two things that appeal to me - engineering & art. Besides, the SME are priced way beyond consideration, so a easy decision in the end :)

@Insider9 - Even I have been using tidal to discover new music everyday. And I only buy tracks that deserve repeat playbacks. Hence my flac & DSD collection is very small. But worth every penny spent. Today morning I am wondering, if I was just over reacting to tidal's misfortune last night. And with a little help from google should be able to find ways to access other streaming sites too. And I do fondly hope that roon does add other sites to their suite, as it will be too costly a solution solely for tidal. So after much deliberation, I have decided to put my roon ROCK build on the back burner for now. Will run roon from my laptop for now. I will hopefully not need a dedicated roon end point, as the devialet AIR + roon wireless integration should work. Will consider a dedicated end point, if tidal does survive or if roon adds other streaming sites.

@ DougK, Andrewjvt & Plastic penguin - Really appreciate your well intended suggestions. I have been buying tracks from HD tracks that I like, costs me almost the same as buying an entire CD. A good quality CD costs me 15 pounds here. For the same money, I download just the few tracks that I like in the entire album. And save myself from ripping CD's again. The price difference between vinyl and CD is marginal here. With some CD's costing more than vinyl. So on the long run, procuring either will cost the same. And downloading from HD tracks is the cheapest high quality option.

The above running costs apart, the high initial cost for a vinyl setup is indeed a consideration. But the bigger evil that scares me, is the setup and actual use. If I can manage the latter, I can live with the former. Unfortunately, Michelle don't have a dealer in India, so a impulse purchase, as well as a demo are ruled out. will have to wait till my next trip to the UK, to procure one. So enough time to chew on my options.

But as you all have rightly pointed out, will first demo any good turntable that I can find, to decide if I really want to go down that route. As I have always had a digital sound, and analogue will be new to me. Better or different I have to yet find out. Thanks again :)

D

Deleted member 108165

BigH said:
Aren't Deezer and Spotify not doing lossless streaming now?

Probably should ask on the Turntable forum.

Newlash can only get Tidal in India, the others aren't available...

Turntable section is always very quiet so probably a good idea to post this in the hifi section.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
For your well intended replies. You are all right in that, I don't necessarily have to resort to vinyl as a back up to tidal.

@Infiniteloop - Thanks for pointing out the SME. Will have to sell my house, if not my kidneys to get one :)

Do look superbly engineered. But to my eyes the Michelle looks a peice of art. A rare combination of the two things that appeal to me - engineering & art. Besides, the SME are priced way beyond consideration, so a easy decision in the end :)

@Insider9 - Even I have been using tidal to discover new music everyday. And I only buy tracks that deserve repeat playbacks. Hence my flac & DSD collection is very small. But worth every penny spent. Today morning I am wondering, if I was just over reacting to tidal's misfortune last night. And with a little help from google should be able to find ways to access other streaming sites too. And I do fondly hope that roon does add other sites to their suite, as it will be too costly a solution solely for tidal. So after much deliberation, I have decided to put my roon ROCK build on the back burner for now. Will run roon from my laptop for now. I will hopefully not need a dedicated roon end point, as the devialet AIR + roon wireless integration should work. Will consider a dedicated end point, if tidal does survive or if roon adds other streaming sites.

@ DougK, Andrewjvt & Plastic penguin - Really appreciate your well intended suggestions. I have been buying tracks from HD tracks that I like, costs me almost the same as buying an entire CD. A good quality CD costs me 15 pounds here. For the same money, I download just the few tracks that I like in the entire album. And save myself from ripping CD's again. The price difference between vinyl and CD is marginal here. With some CD's costing more than vinyl. So on the long run, procuring either will cost the same. And downloading from HD tracks is the cheapest high quality option.

The above running costs apart, the high initial cost for a vinyl setup is indeed a consideration. But the bigger evil that scares me, is the setup and actual use. If I can manage the latter, I can live with the former. Unfortunately, Michelle don't have a dealer in India, so a impulse purchase, as well as a demo are ruled out. will have to wait till my next trip to the UK, to procure one. So enough time to chew on my options.

But as you all have rightly pointed out, will first demo any good turntable that I can find, to decide if I really want to go down that route. As I have always had a digital sound, and analogue will be new to me. Better or different I have to yet find out. Thanks again :)

New Vinyl often comes with a digital download voucher for free.

I bought the latest Passenger LP the other day. The digital download sounds amazing.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:

New Vinyl often comes with a digital download voucher for free. 

I bought the latest Passenger LP the other day. The digital download sounds amazing. 

That was good to know :)

Was also curious to know if you are connecting your TT directly to your devialet, without an external phono stage.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
BigH said:

Turntable section is always very quiet so probably a good idea to post this in the hifi section.

I see but there does seem to be a work around for Spotify logon.

Deezer not yet but maybe soon.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
DougK said:
BigH said:

I see but there does seem to be a work around for Spotify logon.

Deezer not yet but maybe soon.

Read that there is a work around. I even opened my Spotify account from an american line during my last trip to the USA. So I do have a verified US account now. But strangely whenever I try logging in, Spotify makes out my location and closes the connection. I can use a VPN through an american server to gain access I guess. But never tried it so far. Will give it a go this time .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Yes I'm reading about a VPN or use Facebook account with a USA location.

But Tidal is still working?

Had to subscribe through a VPN logging in the first time. Once that is done, I can directly stream from it without VPN. But Spotify needs a VPN even when streaming.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Disclaimer : Iam not considering vinyl yet. But with tidal in distress, a different backup would be prudent. So just sounding out different options.

I have this absolute lust for the michell gyrodec SE, ever since I first set eyes. It is to the point of being obsessed with possessing one, even if I never actually spin it. Would be great if it makes the grade in sound quality too. Would be glad to know if anyone has any listening experience with this beauty :)

It is an excellent sounding deck and (relatively) easy to set up and maintain. There are plenty of upgrade options available from Michell and others. It is a bona fide design classic too. I have owned various flavours over the years.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
newlash09 said:

It is an excellent sounding deck and (relatively) easy to set up and maintain. There are plenty of upgrade options available from Michell and others. It is a bona fide design classic too. I have owned various flavours over the years.

Thanks for your great feedback :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts