antistatic bonding plug

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
basically for very complicate reasons i need something to attach my Rega turntables grounding wire to... would an antistatic bonding plug essentially do the job ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=12712 )?

my turntable is quite a way from my amp unfortunately (it has a built in phono stage), and there isn't much nearby to ground it to except for the mains plugs

A

Anonymous

Why not just connect it to the earth terminal on a 3 pin plug>

If you check out the gnd terminals on amps with a multimeter they are a dead short to earth.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Do you have a hum problem? If not I wouldn't bother; if so, it's best to ground the turntable to the amplifier - not sure whether the plug you suggest will be of much help.

A

Anonymous

because i don't have a multimeter/soldering iron/pair of wire strippers!

ideally i'd knick my dads tools and lengthen the wire, but he's down the other end of the country, I know there are cheaper solutions than spending £5 on a plug, but would it essentially do the trick? I'm moving house again soon which will solve the issue of my separates being spread across the room so I just want a temporary solution. Where you say connect it to the earth terminal, i don't see physically how i could do that with the spade on the end, unless i pulled the plug out a bit and essentially just trapped it in there

A

Anonymous

not particularly, but i haven't cranked it up and tried it in it's new location, so i'll give it a go first and see what it's like. Could there be a problem of static building up?

A

Anonymous

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. Are you hoping that the use of an anti static plug will reduce the static of your records? If you are then its unlikely to work as in the first instance, the record is insulated by the turntable mat.

Those Maplin plugs are designed for the use of connecting wrist bands and the like to reduce static while handling static sensitive components....semiconductors etc.

A

Anonymous

all i was wondering was if it was essential to have the ground wire attached to something, it can't be my amp because it won't stretch so far so thought it would be good to just plug it straight to earth. if it's not important then i won't bother because it's only a temporary measure for a few months

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the 'earth' cable on a turntable is purely a signal ground. As I said, if you don't have a hum problem, it's not needed - some people find they connect it and there is a hum until it's disconnected!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
No Rega P2, P3, Planar 2, or 3 of my experience (I have owned them since 1983) has ever had a signal earth lead. I have never experienced hum with any of them.

On Rega's the signal earth is attached to the inside of the arm tube.

Maybe you have a pre 1983 (pre RB arm series) Rega Planar 2 with the old Acos Lustre/R200 'S' shaped arm.

If hum is a problem see if touching the earth tag against some metal surface underneath the deck eliminates it. (Something like the nut or screw thread underneath the arm mount or the bearing hub or an unpainted screw head on your turntable wall support/rack.

This has nothing to do with static. That is reduced/eliminated by things like having records professionally wet-cleaned and using anti-static sleeves and/or a carbon fibre brush before playing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts