Anthem 225 Integrated Amp

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Anyone got first hand experience with this amp?

There is no review of it on the WHF site (that I can find) - in fact very little coverage of Anthem products, only a review of the AV Processor which got a very positive write up.

I have the opportunity to get a 225 at what seems like a pretty reasonable price considering its specs and the cost of what seem to be its natural competitors.

I will of course do a proper audition, and from a simplicity and box count point of view, it would be great if it had an on-board DAC and digital inputs,but therwise the online reviews I have found are positive and rate the amp highly.

Any first hand experience and insight from members will be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

A

Anonymous

Hey Mr Steve, I had this amp for about a year. It's good! I think there was a review in HFC.

Good construction, connections well laid out, flexible controls, neutral, detailed sound signature with surprisingly good PRaT.

What are you planning to use it with?

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I am considering some Martin Logan Ethos with it.

I have heard both of these separately and was impressed, but still need to do the proper auditioning of them together.

Both the dealer and the local agents swear by the combination, but i suppose only the audition will tell if this is because they really do combine well or if it is just because they supply both brands. Supposedly, the Anthem comes very close to the Arcam C31/P1 pre/power combo I heard the MLs with - at a fraction of the cost.

Main source will be lossless streaming, currently via Sonos, but that will be the next thing to look at - whether just a good DAC is needed (currently got the Beresford 7520 with rolled op amps) or if I should upgrade the streamer itself. If an upgrade is in the pipeline, the streamer must support both ALAC (apple lossless) and HD FLAC which currently seems a rather rare talent.

Music is an eclectic mix of classical, vocal (male & female), pop, classic rock.

A

Anonymous

The best thing is definitely to just go demo the pairing.

Are the panels tough to drive? Take along some music with strong percussion and complex arrangements to see if it does good.

roguemodel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah, ignorance is bliss, said the devil....Anthem is not an unknown brand. Quite popular here in the U.S. and Canada. Anthem is made by Paradigm.......it is their electonics side of the corporation. No better endorsement then Paradigm Loudspeakers.

Now, I heard the Anthem 225 here in in little 'ol Omaha Nebraska.....and no, we do not still have wild Indians. Just on Friday nights.

The Anthem as base configured is somewhat of a giant killer. I has 225 wpc of clean, detailed and nuanced power. NOW.....here is the kicker. I just ordered the Anthem from THE UPGRADE COMPANY (TUC) for $225.00 above delaer msrp. Am I nuts? not yet......Ordering from The Upgrade Company gets you a brand new sealed "hot rodded" unit. Comes with full Man. warranty plus a warranty from the Upgrade company. What do you get?

First of all......the design in the circuitry must be high end and valid....no $59.95 design job. The base unit must be of solid pedigree to make anything worth while. With the Anthem, it is. The Upgrade Company replaces caps, resistors, inductors, internal wiring with higher end components....lets face it......every piece of equipment is built to a certain price point, and as such compromises must be made.

Military grade shielding. The Upgrade Company does their voo-doo with proprietary shielding in every aspect within the unit. This is crucial......and the sound improvement MUST BE HEARD TO BE BELIEVED. With this shielding, the unit is now ready for nuclear amagedden as it now rejects EMP pulses. Am I kidding? .......No. I could have purchsed an Integrated for $5000 or $10,000. Paid for the "name" on the faceplate. I paid $2000 for a piece of equipment that brings you such emotion that it made my wife cry.....men don't cry.......This is the smartest money I ever spent of Hi-Fi gear. I now have no reason to
"upgrade." Buying a $6500.00 Esoteric Integrated.....would now be a disappointment. Oh....The Upgrade Company offers a 2 week listening session in your home. Not happy, return for full refund. .....then, have your head examined! As I replace my system over the next six months......everything is going to Dave at TUC for modding, most inteeligent way to spend audiophile on a budget money.

I am not assoicated with Anthem, Paradigm, or The Upgrade Compnay in any way.

Just a guy who loves music and NOT the pursuit of perfection in the equipment that produces the music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts