Another bent cantilever

My clumsiness strikes again. Another bent cantilever on the clearaudio virtuoso cart, this time I bent it putting the protective cover back on!

Ive ordered another Audio technica AT95e stylus to butcher up and refit to the cart. I'm also going to use the CD Player a bit more often.

It's a good job these styli can be picked up cheaply, as I would have been doubly gutted if I'd had to completely replace the cart (again) !

bigfish786 said:
My clumsiness strikes again. Another bent cantilever on the clearaudio virtuoso cart, this time I bent it putting the protective cover back on!

Ive ordered another Audio technica AT95e stylus to butcher up and refit to the cart. I'm also going to use the CD Player a bit more often.

It's a good job these styli can be picked up cheaply, as I would have been doubly gutted if I'd had to completely replace the cart (again) !

My condolences. As you say luckily replacement is a bit cheaper than some.

bigfish786 said:
There is a shibata stylus replacement available for the AT95 which is a fair bit more expensive, but could be a decent upgrade. If I could trust myself, I'd order one now.

The Shibata profile stylus is a class one and the one to go for if you can steady your hands enough to employ it . ;-)

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Being clumsy myself, I only bother with the stylus guard when I am moving the deck, or adjusting something. I figure that the more often I go anywhere near the stylus, the more likely it is I will mangle it.

I don't trust myself to lower/raise the tonearm without the lift either!

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
Decided to swap out the cart and put my Nagaoka back on. The stylus is better protected, not as exposed as the clearaudio.

This really is a gorgeous sounding cartridge.

I never fitted the bundled Clearaudio cart when I got the Marantz so can't really comment, but the Nags sure do sound special.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever thought you're just basically too much of a clumsy tw*t to own expensive cartridges?

(Internet forums are not great for putting across humour, hopefully you'll take it as intended.)

MajorFubar said:
Have you ever thought you're just basically too much of a clumsy tw*t to own expensive cartridges?

(Internet forums are not great for putting across humour, hopefully you'll take it as intended.)

i totally agree with you. I don't trust myself, not with the exposed cantilever style of carts. I would like to find a better quality stylus to fit the clearaudio, and then keep it for sober use only!

the boron cantilever on the nagaoka looks really thin and fragile, so I'm being very careful with that too.

I have aquired a backup cart, a goldring Elektra, which sounds good, but is quite forward in its presentation.

bigfish786 said:
MajorFubar said:

i totally agree with you. I don't trust myself, not with the exposed cantilever style of carts. I would like to find a better quality stylus to fit the clearaudio, and then keep it for sober use only!

the boron cantilever on the nagaoka looks really thin and fragile, so I'm being very careful with that too.

I have aquired a backup cart, a goldring Elektra, which sounds good, but is quite forward in its presentation.

Then you need a 4012..... ;-)

Al ears said:
bigfish786 said:
MajorFubar said:

a 4012? What would that be?

bigfish786 said:
Al ears said:
bigfish786 said:
MajorFubar said:

a 4012? What would that be?

A typo ;-)

Read Goldring 1012....

The Electra is known to be a tad sharpish and not the best in that price range.

A bit like the Ortofon 2M Red, but we will not go there....

Today, after listening to a few CDs, I put turntable on for a bit. The nagaoka sounding good, I thought I'd have a look at my original knackered stylus that I removed from the clearaudio virtuoso cart. This poor thing is pretty mangled, from my hurried attempt at straightening it when I'd only had it a few weeks.

Today, I managed to get most of the kinks out, and get the stylus pointing in the right direction. I stuck it back in the cart and it sounds lovely.

My persistence has paid off, I really thought I'd screwed this stylus up, but it has lived to play another day.

( good job really as I snapped the other stylus when I was trying to pry it out!)

giving Pearl Jam - Ten a spin now, sounds Devine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts