Ancient amp replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm just about to replace my speakers with Rega R3s and next in line is the amp, an A&R Cambridge A60. I plan on keeping my Marantz CD7200 and Rega Planar 3, any suggestions for a suitable amp with phono stage (Rotel RA-04, Rega Brio3)?

I listened to a few ~£400 amp about 5 years ago (NAD, Marantz, Arcam) and wasn't that impressed. Unfortunately my budget hasn't changed much so I wouldn't mind an eBay option e.g. Arcam Alpha 9.

T

the record spot

Check the BADA marketplace (BADA dealers special offers within the BADA site) - you might well find something for £500.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack, but how much are you selling, if you are, your Arcam for? It's a lovely amplifier and I would advise you to keep it for a few years because that amp will go up in value exponentially by next decade (if the economy doesn't nose-dive that is!). The prices on ebay for it at the moment are so silly - I saw one go for £27 a few weeks ago...that amp is easily worth £100 and the sum of its parts exceeds that!

Anyway good luck with the amp search and well done for getting the Regas!

T

the record spot

Such is the nature of Ebay H, that and the time at which sellers put items on for (and hence dictates when their auction will close - why on earth some folks think that items closing at 2.30 on a Wednesday afternoon will do well against one closing at 10pm amazes me).

Best advice in this regard, take out a free classified ad in the likes of Hi Fi World, gumtree, etc., and give it a month. If that fails, stick it on Ebay. It's a good amp (a classic) but there are - equally - loads of them out there. Assuming that's what the OP wants to do.

A

Anonymous

The Rotel RA-04 is an excellent amp and will sound great in your system - I would leave the Rega Brio 3.

A

Anonymous

Rega here too - it's nice to have a system from just one manafacturer, especially if their products are as good as Rega's are! Then later on, you can upgrade your disc spinner to a Rega Apollo!

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Good speaker choice and they are easy to partner. It just boils down to how you like your music?

Rock, blues and female vocal are my cuppa.

TRENDING THREADS