Ancient amp replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm just about to replace my speakers with Rega R3s and next in line is the amp, an A&R Cambridge A60. I plan on keeping my Marantz CD7200 and Rega Planar 3, any suggestions for a suitable amp with phono stage (Rotel RA-04, Rega Brio3)?

I listened to a few ~£400 amp about 5 years ago (NAD, Marantz, Arcam) and wasn't that impressed. Unfortunately my budget hasn't changed much so I wouldn't mind an eBay option e.g. Arcam Alpha 9.

T

the record spot

Check the BADA marketplace (BADA dealers special offers within the BADA site) - you might well find something for £500.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack, but how much are you selling, if you are, your Arcam for? It's a lovely amplifier and I would advise you to keep it for a few years because that amp will go up in value exponentially by next decade (if the economy doesn't nose-dive that is!). The prices on ebay for it at the moment are so silly - I saw one go for £27 a few weeks ago...that amp is easily worth £100 and the sum of its parts exceeds that!

Anyway good luck with the amp search and well done for getting the Regas!

T

the record spot

Such is the nature of Ebay H, that and the time at which sellers put items on for (and hence dictates when their auction will close - why on earth some folks think that items closing at 2.30 on a Wednesday afternoon will do well against one closing at 10pm amazes me).

Best advice in this regard, take out a free classified ad in the likes of Hi Fi World, gumtree, etc., and give it a month. If that fails, stick it on Ebay. It's a good amp (a classic) but there are - equally - loads of them out there. Assuming that's what the OP wants to do.

A

Anonymous

The Rotel RA-04 is an excellent amp and will sound great in your system - I would leave the Rega Brio 3.

A

Anonymous

Rega here too - it's nice to have a system from just one manafacturer, especially if their products are as good as Rega's are! Then later on, you can upgrade your disc spinner to a Rega Apollo!

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Good speaker choice and they are easy to partner. It just boils down to how you like your music?

Rock, blues and female vocal are my cuppa.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts