Analogue reborn...

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
This afternoon I finally got around to resurrecting my old turntable (Rotel RP830) with a 30 year old Ortofon FF15E cartridge (with a new stylus of course!!).

I'm currently running this through a second system, a modified (essentially it's now passive) Technics SU-C800 preamp and a modified NAD2200 power amp, using Dynaudio 52 speakers.

The signal cable from the turntable has also been replaced.

The sound from this essentially budget turntable and cartridge combo is absolutely blowing me away.

First, my son came and and said "the bass is really good" and then my wife, who was in the kitchen, came in and said "wow that sounds really good".

Now, my normal CD system is nothing special, but it's not that bad either - Marantz CD17 mk1 and Marantz PM7200 amp (with the same speakers).

It's no small wonder vinyl refuses to die, with sound quality like this from such a basic setup...

I guess the only thing detracting from it all is the occasional snap / crackle / pop - however most of my vinyl hasn't been played for at least 10 years...

I remember about 15 years ago, I had quite a good (at the time) Sony CD player, a Technics SL1600MKII turntable and a Shure V15 cartridge, running through a home built phono amp (a project from Electronics Today International - circa 1982 I think). This would easily beat the Sony CD player.

Sorry, I've babbled on for too long now..

Back to the music...

Tony.

A

Anonymous

Wow! It sounds really good! The old Rotel turntables were (and still are) exceptionally good and most cartridge's made by Ortofon are also very good!

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear you've redisoovered vinyl.

matthewpiano:Spend £40 on a Disco Antistat manual cleaning machine. You won't believe how many of those crackles and pops disappear.

I wouldn't recommend the Disco Antistat because the fluid is alcohol based. Instead I'd recommend you get a proper entry level vacuum record cleaning machine like the Cadence Okki Nokki and use it with L'Art du Son cleaning fluid. Your old records may also benefit from steam cleaning.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
The Rotel RP830 was my first turntable. I remember it being quite susceptible to feedback but sounded almost on a par with the similarly priced Dual 505.

Give it a well isolated platformand it should sing.

In the time I had it it was trouble free except when the micro switch which starts the motor when the arm is moved came unstuck and needed glueing back in place.

Enjoy.

matthewpiano

DistortedVision:

matthewpiano:Spend £40 on a Disco Antistat manual cleaning machine. You won't believe how many of those crackles and pops disappear.

I wouldn't recommend the Disco Antistat because the fluid is alcohol based. Instead I'd recommend you get a proper entry level vacuum record cleaning machine like the Cadence Okki Nokki and use it with L'Art du Son cleaning fluid. Your old records may also benefit from steam cleaning.

Why is there a problem with an alcohol based cleaner? There are a few of us here using the Antistat and getting good results. We're not damaging anything are we???

A

Anonymous

No but its too tempting to drink it instead of using on your vinyl...then you'll never get your records clean

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
up the music:The Rotel RP830 was my first turntable. I remember it being quite susceptible to feedback...... <snip>

Very susceptible to feedback indeed! I have replaced the thin hardboard bottom cover with a piece of MDF and have added some additional bracing internally too. It's a work in progress, but I hope to improve it.

Failing that, I may well invest in a Project RPM1Genie.

Tony.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:No but its too tempting to drink it instead of using on your vinyl...then you'll never get your records clean

lol yeah, there's nothing like a bit of alcoholic influence to 'improve' the sound!!!
emotion-4.gif

Tony.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:DistortedVision:

Why is there a problem with an alcohol based cleaner? There are a few of us here using the Antistat and getting good results. We're not damaging anything are we???

It is well known that alcohol based solutions with repeated use damage LPs by leaching the plasticisers that keep the vinyl pliable. Anyway, you can't properly clean a record without a vacuum cleaning machine.

John Duncan

DistortedVision:

I would still recommend the Disco - you can use whatever fluid you like in it if you have issues with alcohol (!). I personally use an 80/20 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, with a few drops of wetting agent.

Whilst I'm sure a vacuum-based machine like the Okki Nokki works better, not everybody can justify the £300+ entry price.

T

the record spot

Alternatively, check out some shops who offer a record cleaning service - I had some rare Genesis albums cleaned at a £1 each. Saves on buying an Okki Nokki. Alternatively, if you're feeling flush, just go the whole hog and get a Keith Monks (about 0.00001% of the readership on here will likely have one...). Puts the ON right in the shade that does!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts