an interesting cable video ?!

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date

Jimboo

By accident ! Whatever were you looking for that magically brought this up?
Why don't you just stop playing around with the continual cable thread games and just admit you believe the more you spend the better the sound and be done with it.

D

Deleted member 188516

By accident ! Whatever were you looking for that magically brought this up?
Why don't you just stop playing around with the continual cable thread games and just admit you believe the more you spend the better the sound and be done with it.

i thought it was you in the video...
until he posted this more recent update !
( go on spit your dummy out ! )

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vofDCIrY6-k

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom

I'm sorry to not watch the video but if you get proportionately priced cables, they should be excellent for sound quality. Now if you got a 10k system, should you buy £500 cables? Nah. Don't believe in that. I think £100 cables, should be the most you ever need even if you got a £50k system.

D

Deleted member 188516

I'm sorry to not watch the video but if you get proportionately priced cables, they should be excellent for sound quality. Now if you got a 10k system, should you buy £500 cables? Nah. Don't believe in that. I think £100 cables, should be the most you ever need even if you got a £50k system.

even if you buy them 2nd hand or at a quarter of the rrp ?

Jimboo

What I think is.... Old Russ seems to think he can hear things that years of engineering boffins and producers of hi fi are apparently unaware of.
We have claims of you don't notice it until it's gone ( like your hard earned) .
Where some companies make Bugatti Veron amps or c.d players with the apparent top of the range components he still has something that can be added.
No maker seems to recommend using his products , nobody seems interested in mass producing therefore reducing the price of the wonder products. He cannot sell it to the industry he claims to improve.
Someone spends ten grand on a c.d player regardless if cheap cables make it sing they are still going to believe Russ can make it better. There is his market.

Jimboo

Actually 25- 30 seconds in he states we have been saying this for 25 years that we don't have any proof for the cable claims. The rest of the video basically doesn't actually offer any either.
It is staggering what these people claim.

D

Deleted member 188516

Actually 25- 30 seconds in he states we have been saying this for 25 years that we don't have any proof for the cable claims. The rest of the video basically doesn't actually offer any either.
It is staggering what these people claim.

russ andrews had a written research paper (or something like that) that was available to download some years back on this subject.

harrods sell hifi kit and their top of the range system uses kimber and russ andrew cables and power blocks - all on display and ready to be demonstrated.

also technics recommended the use of the kimber "monocle" (very expensive !) speaker cable when they re entered the hifi separates market a few years back.

here is the proof :-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgzZVTcOZWo

abacus

russ andrews had a go !

what do you think of this ?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGWu5bxX0Bw

Well he is showing a speaker cable but then goes on to talk about mains cables and power supplies, so that’s about as clear as mud.

If you do suffer from RFI then a ferrite bead added to the cable will negate it with no need to buy a fancy cable. (Although any decently built amp will block it anyway)

Can’t find the white papers that he talked about, but from memory I believe (But I may be wrong) they could not be (Or were not) independently verified.

Bill

Alas, wheeling out RA is never going to feel like supporting an argument - I don't think I know anyone who thinks his gear is anything other than a rip-off even if they believe it works!

Many years ago there was a guy here who had a friend who worked in electronics. He took apart some gizmo that RA supplied and the difference between component cost and retail price was a factor of hundreds.

D

Deleted member 188516

Alas, wheeling out RA is never going to feel like supporting an argument - I don't think I know anyone who thinks his gear is anything other than a rip-off even if they believe it works!

Many years ago there was a guy here who had a friend who worked in electronics. He took apart some gizmo that RA supplied and the difference between component cost and retail price was a factor of hundreds.

would that be the "silencer" mains filter / plug in thing he sells ?

i tried one years ago but noted no improvements...

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
The “silencer” consists of a standard project box with a fancy sticker, 4 caps, varistor and diode and 4 resistors, on a very simple PCB you could just as easily build on strip board.

Probably about £6 or 7 worth of parts in there, not quite a factor of hundreds but still a fair chunk of change for a few cheap off the shelf components.

I should add I have bought some of his stuff used to save the bother of building it myself but retail prices are absurd.

D

Deleted member 188516

would that be the "silencer" mains filter he sells ?
The “silencer” consists of a standard project box with a fancy sticker, 4 caps, varistor and diode and 4 resistors, on a very simple PCB you could just as easily build on strip board.

Probably about £6 or 7 worth of parts in there, not quite a factor of hundreds but still a fair chunk of change for a few cheap off the shelf components.

I should add I have bought some of his stuff used to save the bother of building it myself but retail prices are absurd.

once again i tried one and didn't notice a damn thing !

i believe this is isoteks version :-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PydjvDVPdNs

D

Deleted member 188516

Well he is showing a speaker cable but then goes on to talk about mains cables and power supplies, so that’s about as clear as mud.

If you do suffer from RFI then a ferrite bead added to the cable will negate it with no need to buy a fancy cable. (Although any decently built amp will block it anyway)

Can’t find the white papers that he talked about, but from memory I believe (But I may be wrong) they could not be (Or were not) independently verified.

Bill

the russ andrew mains cables (powerkords) are just kimber speaker cable (4tc, 8tc and 12tc) with an earth wire down the centre, hence, might be why he's holding that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray

harrods sell hifi kit and their top of the range system uses kimber and russ andrew cables and power blocks - all on display and ready to be demonstrated.
And why not? Harrods have customers that would think nothing of paying 7 grand for a box of chocolates.
They're the perfect customers, the more they can pay (and be seen to be paying) the better they like it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts