Amps without Tone Controls

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I'm not getting the concept of amps without tone controls.

If spending a large amount of cash on some hi-fi equipment, surely the users should at least get the option of making bass and treble adjustments, or am i missing something ?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966:I'm not getting the concept of amps without tone controls.

If spending a large amount of cash on some hi-fi equipment, surely the users should at least get the option of making bass and treble adjustments, or am i missing something ?

Mine has none. The theory is that the less you put in the signal path, the less you will degrade the sound.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I think (to add to JD's point about buying what you prefer) is the more you spend, the more likely you are to listen to the item before buying it, preferably with your other equipment.

That way you will know if it is too bass-heavy or has scratchy treble when partnered with your other kit before parting with your hard-earned - and therefore tone controls become unnecessary and only serve to degrade the signal.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:I think (to add to JD's point about buying what you prefer) is the more you spend, the more likely you are to listen to the item before buying it, preferably with your other equipment.

That way you will know if it is too bass-heavy or has scratchy treble when partnered with your other kit before parting with your hard-earned - and therefore tone controls become unnecessary and only serve to degrade the signal. I went from an amp with none (Creek Evo) to a better amp with controls and I never touch them.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:i was nervous about not having tone controls when i upgraded but have never missed them.

My current, and my last haven't got them, and before that the 'direct' was kept pressed at all times...
however I do turn up the gain on my subwoofer when listening at low volumes.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:I think (to add to JD's point about buying what you prefer) is the more you spend, the more likely you are to listen to the item before buying it, preferably with your other equipment.

That way you will know if it is too bass-heavy or has scratchy treble when partnered with your other kit before parting with your hard-earned - and therefore tone controls become unnecessary and only serve to degrade the signal.

In my opinion FBSF has hit the nail on the head here. If you listen to what youre buying enough before hand you can make a decision about tonal balance etc that you prefer meaning you dont need to compensate with the tone controls. Ive got an A85 Arcam and have never touched the tone on it.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Different genres in music need different emphasis on bass or treble tones. I'm sure not all amps cope with all types of music satisfactoraly, so having the option to emphasis bass or treble for certain music must be a benefit ?

A

Anonymous

Sometimes we have to live with the room positioning for speakers we have to live with. In this case, although it may not be 'purist', the ability to cut or boost bass via the amp can be useful.

I would always look for a bypass or direct option in any amplifier though.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
I don't have any tone controls on my amp, I like the sound it produces without the presence of tone controls.However, why shouldn't you use tone controls on your amp if you've got them? If they weren't intended to be used, they wouldn't be there.

For example a reverse theory, If you were intended to put lemonade in whisky, the manufacturers would have put it in the bottle for you!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
stevee1966:Different genres in music need different emphasis on bass or treble tones. I'm sure not all amps cope with all types of music satisfactoraly, so having the option to emphasis bass or treble for certain music must be a benefit ?

I have tone controls and have never felt the need to use them

A

Anonymous

I think in the '80s it was fashionable to have bass, treble, loudness, graphic equalisers, dancing lights, bass boost and much malarky.

Then it was trendy to buck the trend and go minimalist.

Has anyone ever noticed the difference between 'direct' and with bass and treble set to neutral? I haven't.

So if, like me, there's no discernable difference between direct and controls set to neutral, whats wrong with having the facility?

Not to compensate for equipment you bought but don't like but to add a bit of oomph to dry, compressed recordings.

On the other side of the coin, my amp has no tone controls or anything and don't miss them generally. And it stops me fiddling and just accept the recording the way it is. And for me, this is best, but I wouldn't avoid an amp with tone controls.

The CA 840A I had for a while had tone controls but were well done and didn't detract otherwise.

Only my opinions, but they are of course right and anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly wrong.

A

Anonymous

bloney:Has anyone ever noticed the difference between 'direct' and with bass and treble set to neutral? I haven't.

Nope, me neither.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts