Amps to drive active speakers

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question I currently have a full set of B&O speakers and i believe they are all active, i currently connect my 5.1 speaker system to a yamaha rxv3067 amp via preouts, my question is whats the main advantages and dissadvantages of active and passive speakers? does it matter what amp i use to drive my B&O's as my b&o's have inbuilt amplifiers in each speaker. When driven using the yamaha am i getting the sound via the yammy amplification or the inbuilt amps in my speakers?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When running active speakers using the analogue 'pre-outs' from a receiver you'll be using the speakers own built in amplification. This means that the quality of a receivers own amps will make no difference to the sound because they aren't being used.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The quality of the power amp section of your Yamaha receiver will make no difference to the sound of your system. That part of your reciever is being bypassed when you take the signal from the preouts instead of the speaker terminals. The quality of the pre-amp section of your Yamaha receiver will make a difference to the sound of your system as that is being used in the signal path. As for the main advantages and disadvantages of active and passive speakers, there have been a few recent threads on this forum discussing this.

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
The amp is Yamaha rxv3067, speakers are B&O Beolab 8000 (front), Beolab 4000 (Centre), Beolab 6000 (Rears), beolab 2 (Sub), the setup sounds stunning have no gripes at all about it, i just like to experiment abit.

TRENDING THREADS