AMPs and Speakers - is this normal?

AEW

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi - all. I have started splitting a single audio source via a Y splitter into 2 separate amps each connected to and powering a pair of independent speakers. I did this because I inherited an amp and speakers and found I liked both the warmth of one set up and the clarity of the other and decided to try 'blending' them together. The obvious (naive?) approach I took was to use a Y splitter from the audio source and feed it through both amps. I'm not looking for surround sound as the speakers are stacked. The 2 amps need their volumes independently adjusted to get the right mix of warmth and clarity. I like this blending as different types of music benefit from one or other of the systems being dominant or indeed equal. I now find I have a really full and tonally rich sound that I love. However I have been looking on the internet to see if this approach is common / what the pitfalls and benefits are and I can't find anything. I may be using the wrong terms to search perhaps? Either way is this a common / normal thing to do and from an audiophile perspective what are the pros / cons of the approach? For info my two set ups are a Marantz Integrated PM6005 amp through a pair of Celestion Ditton CS7s (rather like CD 44s) and a Rogers A75 Series 2 amp through a pair of KEF Coda 2s. Sources range from an iphone and MP3 player to a Marantz CD6005 and a Rega Planar 2 (though I haven't tried splitting either of these latter 2 outputs yet). Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks - Adrian

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
AEW said:
Hi - all. I have started splitting a single audio source via a Y splitter into 2 separate amps each connected to and powering a pair of independent speakers. I did this because I inherited an amp and speakers and found I liked both the warmth of one set up and the clarity of the other and decided to try 'blending' them together. The obvious (naive?) approach I took was to use a Y splitter from the audio source and feed it through both amps. I'm not looking for surround sound as the speakers are stacked. The 2 amps need their volumes independently adjusted to get the right mix of warmth and clarity. I like this blending as different types of music benefit from one or other of the systems being dominant or indeed equal. I now find I have a really full and tonally rich sound that I love. However I have been looking on the internet to see if this approach is common / what the pitfalls and benefits are and I can't find anything. I may be using the wrong terms to search perhaps? Either way is this a common / normal thing to do and from an audiophile perspective what are the pros / cons of the approach? For info my two set ups are a Marantz Integrated PM6005 amp through a pair of Celestion Ditton CS7s (rather like CD 44s) and a Rogers A75 Series 2 amp through a pair of KEF Coda 2s. Sources range from an iphone and MP3 player to a Marantz CD6005 and a Rega Planar 2 (though I haven't tried splitting either of these latter 2 outputs yet). Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks - Adrian

Are you using a mono splitter or a left/right ? You may need to go to a music instrument store to find a splitter that sends both left and right to each amp.

Its not an audiophile approach but if you like it !

AEW

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Pyrrhon - I'm assuming it's a L and R i.e. Stereo splitter as it's for adding 2 sets of headphones to a single 3.5mm jack so that you can both listen to the one device. Does that make sense?

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I also want to point that without phase alignement 2 speakers can cancel each other too. You can invert speaker wire at one binding post and move around the middle of 2 speakers. youll notice a zone of silence where bass is gone.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
AEW said:
Hi Pyrrhon - I'm assuming it's a L and R i.e. Stereo splitter as it's for adding 2 sets of headphones to a single 3.5mm jack so that you can both listen to the one device. Does that make sense?

Y its ok then !

AEW

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies Pyrrhon - much appreciated. I'll see about the phase alignement tonight. Is this why this type of set up isn't normal? Thanks - Adrian

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you connect all your sources to the PM6005, then simply take the output from the Recorder/Audio Out connections into any line input on the A75, then whatever is selected on the PM6005 will play through both amps and speakers without issue.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
If you connect all your sources to the PM6005, then simply take the output from the Recorder/Audio Out connections into any line input on the A75, then whatever is selected on the PM6005 will play through both amps and speakers without issue.

*good* best answer !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts