Amplifier Upgrade

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
I know there are other posts about amplifier upgrades, but based on reading the threads it would seem it is very system component dependent. I have gotten the hifi bug and have slowly upgraded my system and am now considering upgrading my current amp. Here are my system specs

Yamaha A-S701 amp
Wharfedale Diamond 250 speakers
Project X1 turntable with Goldring E3 cartridge
ARCAM irdac-ii
Rega MK3 phono amplifier
NAD c538 CD player

Thanks

D

Deleted member 188516

I know there are other posts about amplifier upgrades, but based on reading the threads it would seem it is very system component dependent. I have gotten the hifi bug and have slowly upgraded my system and am now considering upgrading my current amp. Here are my system specs

Yamaha A-S701 amp
ARCAM irdac-ii
Rega MK3 phono amplifier
NAD c538 CD player

Thanks
do you have a budget for this upgrade ?

Yamaha A-S701 amp
ARCAM irdac-ii
Rega MK3 phono amplifier
NAD c538 CD player

Thanks

Can you tell us what it is about the sound that needs tweaking or upgrading? Is it tonal, lack of power, too much bass, not enough bass blah blah blah...

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
The Yamaha has plenty of power. I would like to drive more bass if possible with the speakers. The room is a large L shape with the system on the long wall of the L.

The Yamaha has plenty of power. I would like to drive more bass if possible with the speakers. The room is a large L shape with the system on the long wall of the L.
An amp that'll give you more punch: Yamaha A-S 2100, Creek Evo 100, Roksan Caspian M2.... they may not have that much more power on paper but they should have a better grip on the speakers. But please, wherever possible, demo any amp.

rainsoothe

If you're based in the US, I'd look at replacing all those boxes (well, most of them anyway) with a Schiit Ragnarok 2 fully loaded and replace the cartridge on your tt with a Nagaoka mp 150 or 200 and maybe a pair of Revel Concerta 2 M16 or Kef E3 with the leftover money. The amps suggested above are also very worthy of an audition - personally, I'd go for the Caspian M2.

If you're based in the US, I'd look at replacing all those boxes (well, most of them anyway) with a Schiit Ragnarok 2 fully loaded and replace the cartridge on your tt with a Nagaoka mp 150 or 200 and maybe a pair of Revel Concerta 2 M16 or Kef E3 with the leftover money. The amps suggested above are also very worthy of an audition - personally, I'd go for the Caspian M2.
Seconded, then again the Creek is an excellent choice. If going this route I would sell the Rega Phono amp and buy the optional Sequel module from Creek.

shadders

Yamaha A-S701 amp
ARCAM irdac-ii
Rega MK3 phono amplifier
NAD c538 CD player

Thanks
Hi,
I would not change the amplifier. I examined the specifications, and for performance, the amplifier is excellent. The THD is 0.019% for 20Hz to 20kHz at 100watts. The THD figure will be for 20kHz, and it will be significantly lower for 1kHz etc. The amplifier also has 12,000uF reservoir capacitance - there are amplifiers with more, but many amplifiers have 4,700uF per rail, or 6,800uF per rail.

The amplifier power output in dB is 20dB rated at 0.019% THD. The speakers are 89dB sensitivity - so, for 100watts output, your listening level will be 109dB, and the speakers are specified to be 110dB SPL max. So, the amplifier has more than enough power to drive the speakers.

The speakers are reflex, so i am surprised the bass is light, the -3dB point is stated to be 35Hz.

Maybe it is the speaker positioning in the room that gives the impression that the bass is light.

The amplifier has a sub output, so this can allow you to add a subwoofer.

It is possible that the room is the issue, so you could spend the money on room correction hardware and software.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: kaigneo
Hi,
I would not change the amplifier. I examined the specifications, and for performance, the amplifier is excellent. The THD is 0.019% for 20Hz to 20kHz at 100watts. The THD figure will be for 20kHz, and it will be significantly lower for 1kHz etc. The amplifier also has 12,000uF reservoir capacitance - there are amplifiers with more, but many amplifiers have 4,700uF per rail, or 6,800uF per rail.

The amplifier power output in dB is 20dB rated at 0.019% THD. The speakers are 89dB sensitivity - so, for 100watts output, your listening level will be 109dB, and the speakers are specified to be 110dB SPL max. So, the amplifier has more than enough power to drive the speakers.

The speakers are reflex, so i am surprised the bass is light, the -3dB point is stated to be 35Hz.

Maybe it is the speaker positioning in the room that gives the impression that the bass is light.

The amplifier has a sub output, so this can allow you to add a subwoofer.

It is possible that the room is the issue, so you could spend the money on room correction hardware and software.

Regards,
Shadders.
You obviously misread the bit that says he wants to upgrade it......
Quoting specifications is not going to change this.

Reactions: TotalVictim

shadders

You obviously misread the bit that says he wants to upgrade it......
Hi,
I did read that - but i see no point since the amplifier will provide watts, and he has 160watts in the existing amplifier to exceed the speaker capability. I used 100watts as per the THD specification.

That was why i said don't upgrade it for more bass, use a sub or room equalisation - i think it would be better that way.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
I did read that - but i see no point since the amplifier will provide watts, and he has 160watts in the existing amplifier to exceed the speaker capability. I used 100watts as per the THD specification.

That was why i said don't upgrade it for more bass, use a sub or room equalisation - i think it would be better that way.

Regards,
Shadders.
Thanks, missed the point he just wanted more bass, apologies
If more bass is required the OP has the wrong speakers......

rainsoothe

Well it can be a case of using different wording for describing something else. Maybe more bass means punchier bass, which the lower end Yamahas - at the very least - are completely incapable of, imo. But yes, a speaker change will help as well, and I think op can do both if he gets an amp with integrated phono and dac and sells the other stuff.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

Yamaha A-S701 amp
ARCAM irdac-ii
Rega MK3 phono amplifier
NAD c538 CD player

Thanks
Give a try Denon PMA NE series.I have at present Yamaha RN 803 and Denon PMA 600 NE. Denon PMA 1600 NE also ordered

The OP's system looks well balanced, so unless there's an obvious weak link it's usually an exercise in trial and error.

I would start first with the amp and see if other brands can tighten things up. If that doesn't work look at perhaps a speaker that majors in a taut low end. Chances are the OP has the ideal combo... the grass isn't always greener.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts