Amplifier That Has A Remote Control With Left/Right Balance Adjustment

simonmatthew

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if you could help.. I am looking for an amplifier that has an infra red remote control that is capable of 2 particular things

1. Switch the amplifier on and off

2. Adjust the balance left/right

I know number 1 is present on most remotes so I just need to find something that does number 2 aswell. This is for a very basic system so I dont need anything else special from the amp, my only requirements are that it will drive 2 small speakers and have the features above on the remote control. If it was rack mountable that would be ideal but if its not then I will just fit a shelf into my cabinet.

I dont want to spend the earth but anything up to 200 is fine but ideally as cheap as possible.

Does anyone know of anything?

thanks
smiley-cool.gif

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My Primare I21 integrated did all that. Don't 99% of new to recent do the same, including balance? Your main constraint might be cost. How about 2nd hand?

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Anything from the A70 onwards seems to do this (having had a quick look on Arcam's site). The last A80 went for £162 on ebay and there's one in black due to finish today.

simonmatthew

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Just one more question about the Arcam amps, for the main rotary volume control on the front of the amp does that continuously spin or does it have a max amount it can be turned clockwise/anti clockwise?

Basically what I want to do is to lock it in a glass cabinet and set the volume using the rotary knob to a preset level and then allow my office staff to switch it on and off using the remote control. If the rotary knob on the front has a limt to how much it can turn then usually this means I would be able to set that quite low and then even if my staff put the volume up using the remote they will only be able to get the volume up to a certain level (hope that makes sense - essentialy I want to give my office a radio but dont want them t o abuse it like a disco when im not there.)

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I've never encountered a volume control like that. Normally the volume knob is motorised and can be fully controlled by the remote.

If an amp worked that way surely it would always be at 'max' volume when switched on which you might not want.

In answer to the question, on my A85 there isn't a start and stop - it keeps rotating.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
simonmatthew said:
Just one more question about the Arcam amps, for the main rotary volume control on the front of the amp does that continuously spin or does it have a max amount it can be turned clockwise/anti clockwise?

Basically what I want to do is to lock it in a glass cabinet and set the volume using the rotary knob to a preset level and then allow my office staff to switch it on and off using the remote control. If the rotary knob on the front has a limt to how much it can turn then usually this means I would be able to set that quite low and then even if my staff put the volume up using the remote they will only be able to get the volume up to a certain level (hope that makes sense - essentialy I want to give my office a radio but dont want them t o abuse it like a disco when im not there.)

Remote volume controls are either motorised where you can see the volume control rotate. This sort have a friction slip drive that allows manual operation & often have an LED buried in the knob as with Roksan & others. The other way is to change volume is discreet steps electronically where the amplifier either has up/down buttons or rotary encoder that spin continuously as with Primare & others. You want to lock the max level that would probably require the latter method - for £200, I'm doubtful unless someone knows otherwise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts