Amplifier Suggestion

youngeagle

Jun 13, 2022
Visit site
Hello I am Mehmet. I am newby in hifi. I have just bought a pair of Polk S20E bookshelf speaker and topping e30 DAC. I have been watching videos for weeks about amps.
I am living in Turkey and we can not test components in here, so I can not decide which amp I should buy.
You are so experienced. Which amp should I choose and why?( I use computer as a source(USB Port) and deezer as a programme)
1)NAD 316bee v2
2)Yamaha a-s301
3)Yamaha a-s201

Hello I am Mehmet. I am newby in hifi. I have just bought a pair of Polk S20E bookshelf speaker and topping e30 DAC. I have been watching videos for weeks about amps.
I am living in Turkey and we can not test components in here, so I can not decide which amp I should buy.
You are so experienced. Which amp should I choose and why?( I use computer as a source(USB Port) and deezer as a programme)
1)NAD 316bee v2
2)Yamaha a-s301
3)Yamaha a-s201
Welcome to the forum.
I am not sure regarding these amplifiers, the Yamaha 301 has digital inputs but if you are using an external DAC you don't need them. The NAD does not have digital inputs and is slightly more powerful so I guess this is what I would buy.
However I am not sure how well it will pair with your speakers.

Witterings

Thanks for your useful and nice replies. May you suggest any power amp for me?

Depends what you want to spend and required power, Topping PA5 is a possible although you'd need RCA to TRS leads with the E30 DAC which defeats the benefit of balanced inputs, unless you've just bought it and could exchange it for their E50 DAC.

Could also look at the Topping PA3s which would go with the E30 ... although less power.

Witterings

Thank you, I will read all the reviews about these amps.

Don't know why I didn't mention it but the one I actually bought was an SMSL AO200 which is brilliant.

All the ones I mentioned are small systems as it was for a desktop setup, you may find you get more with a full size amp for your money but all 3 of those are very good.

youngeagle

Jun 13, 2022
Visit site
I listen some of the sound samples for SMSL AO200. It really sounds very well but I also like the sound of NAD 316bee V2. If you choose one of them which one you prefer?

Witterings

I listen some of the sound samples for SMSL AO200. It really sounds very well but I also like the sound of NAD 316bee V2. If you choose one of them which one you prefer?

Without hearing them both that'd be a tough decision to make and if I couldn't I'd probably be looking at things like whether the smaller size is of benefit with the SMSL or the extra inputs on the NAD.

NAD have obviously been around for years so again is that important and what sort of customer support do they give, that said Bluesound Node is a sister company and you hear their support is pretty appalling.

I don't think you#d be dissapointed with either.

gasolin

Welcome to the forum.
I am not sure regarding these amplifiers, the Yamaha 301 has digital inputs but if you are using an external DAC you don't need them. The NAD does not have digital inputs and is slightly more powerful so I guess this is what I would buy.
However I am not sure how well it will pair with your speakers.

Why do you think the nad is more powerfull than the Yamaha A-S301 ?

I have both Nad and Yamaha amsp, i like Nad more than Yamaha

youngeagle

Jun 13, 2022
Visit site
Because, on paper, it is....
You are right when I look at the specification and Nad is 40wpc but yamaha is 60. There is not another data to compare for me. When I read all you wrote I notice Nad is more powerful. I think I will choose Nad because of its reputation and your positive comment.
Thanks for all recommendations...

gasolin

You are right when I look at the specification and Nad is 40wpc but yamaha is 60. There is not another data to compare for me. When I read all you wrote I notice Nad is more powerful. I think I will choose Nad because of its reputation and your positive comment.
Thanks for all recommendations...

If you need to use a turntable and are okay with an external phonostage, i would buy a used nad c316bee they are much cheaper used than a new amp, the c316 v2 once cost as little as 2299 of my currency, 2022 it's 3499, for that price differnce you can get a nad c316bee in Denmark where i live(800-1200), a phonostage isn't to expensive used, 50-70 euros for a good phonostage shouldn't be impossible.

The only cons i have with the nad 31.bee amps is cross talk

youngeagle

Jun 13, 2022
Visit site
If you need to use a turntable and are okay with an external phonostage, i would buy a used nad c316bee they are much cheaper used than a new amp, the c316 v2 once cost as little as 2299 of my currency, 2022 it's 3499, for that price differnce you can get a nad c316bee in Denmark where i live(800-1200), a phonostage isn't to expensive used, 50-70 euros for a good phonostage shouldn't be impossible.

The only cons i have with the nad 31.bee amps is cross talk
I have watched a review on youtube about c316 v2 and he says v2 sound is more dynamic and better when compared with the old c316.
Is the only difference phono stage or is there any sound improvement on v2?

gasolin

I have watched a review on youtube about c316 v2 and he says v2 sound is more dynamic and better when compared with the old c316.
Is the only difference phono stage or is there any sound improvement on v2?

Nothing worth mention mostly it's the phonostage and the round edges

in fact if you can get a nad 3020 i in mint condition for half the price of a new nad c 316bee v2, you wil get alot of power, better bass and overall a better sound quality than a nad c316bee v2.

I think when the smallest nad amps didn't have a phonostage and when you couldn't seperate the pre and power sections, the amps weren't as good as some of the slightly older nad amps

Last edited:

rainsoothe

I once bought my dad a used Nad C316BEE (v1) and it just stopped working after a while. Would probably cost more than what I payed for it.

I also wouldn't use the Topping as a preamp if you can avoid it - it's probably not up to the task (after speakers and source, the preamp has the most to do with shaping the sound of a system imo).

I'd just keep it simple and cheap and get a Cambridge Audio AXA35 - it's way better than it has a right to, at that price.

I also dislike Yamaha amplification (although I'm a fan of a lot of their other stuff).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts