Amplifier protection mode

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My Yamaha has gone into protection mode this morning for some reason and I can’t seem to get the amplifier out of protection mode so something has gone wrong I think .

i have now unconnected all cables and taking the amplifier out of the rack I have unplugged it and turned all the knobs on the front and plugged it back in again but still in protection mode .

I am unsure what to do now whether I should leave it unplugged for a while and then try again but I do not understand why it’s done this for as I was not playing music loud but on a low volume .

so is their any way of getting the amplifier out it protection mode ?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a mains filter, surge protector, AVR, UPS etc? New amps with complex safety circuitry are paranoid over everything. Small spikes in the mains trip them.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I noticed the Av was coming on buy it’s self for no reason so the electricity must be up and down the last couple of days which is not normally a problem but we have had strong winds here

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Must've been a stressful morning. Didn't you have it happen once before? I seem to remember it was related to headphones... might be wrong as my memory isn't the best.

All amplifiers must be turned off when unpluging or plugging in headphones since this shorts the amplifier for a moment. It's not going to harm it, but it may trip the protection like in BS' case.

Pluging in headphones in most cases is essentially plugging another pair of speakers through a series of resistors. Few amps have dedicated heaphone amplifiers and just reuse the main power amp. However, Yamaha engineers would probably put a protection circuit even on a dedicated headphone amp. *biggrin*

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Must've been a stressful morning. Didn't you have it happen once before? I seem to remember it was related to headphones... might be wrong as my memory isn't the best.

All amplifiers must be turned off when unpluging or plugging in headphones since this shorts the amplifier for a moment. It's not going to harm it, but it may trip the protection like in BS' case.

Pluging in headphones in most cases is essentially plugging another pair of speakers through a series of resistors. Few amps have dedicated heaphone amplifiers and just reuse the main power amp. However, Yamaha engineers would probably put a protection circuit even on a dedicated headphone amp. *biggrin*

+1

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes that’s right I had forgotten how to get the amplifier out of protection mode when I tried headphones but this time it was different it happened when listening to music but it happens not that often but I had a panic this morning but the Yamaha manual doesn’t say how to get it out of protection mode .

but when it didn’t come out of protection mode my heart sunk it really did I think I am not going to bother changing the amplifier now it’s made me release how much I really like my amplifier but I do not mind changing the speakers but I just can’t let go of my Yamaha

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So if it wasn't for the internet and forums like this giving you the inside knowledge on how to reset it, what are you actually supposed to do when it decides it's throwing a tantrum? Take it back to the shop and have them charge £75 to press these magic combination of buttons when your back's turned?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Best to write down this procedure on a note and tuck it in the User Manual. A good UPS is affordable and will give you a peace of mind.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I looked on the internet first to see but nothing if it wasn’t for me not being a member on here I would of ended up taking back to the shop eventually

I remember when it happened quite a while ago and I had the lid of to see if the fuse had gone but yes Yamaha should put it in the manual how to take it out of protection mode

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Yamaha shouldn't put in the USER manual how to manually take an amp out of protection mode. They put it in the SERVICE manual, which is read by professional service techs. If you had internal circuitry fault or a short at the speaker terminals and you kept persistently taking the amp out of protection mode it will create further damage and make the amp possibly unfeasable to repair and void your warranty.

When you had the amp go into protection the first time you shouldn't open the lid, but open the USER manual and follow the Troubleshooting procedure, which would have solved your problem without disassembling anything.

It's a hassle to go through shipping or a drive and spending 75 quid, but think of the possible downfals of not doing that and just ignorantly poking things.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I no but no amplifiers where hurt in the process lol but at least I got to see what’s in the box and it’s a lot

I'm just saying what's the smart thing to do. I obviously don't follow that. I open new amps the day I buy them. *crazy*

TakeItApart-20.jpg

(that's Dave from EEVblog)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I didn’t want to start a new thread but what is the best surge protection until do I need to protect my amplifier without effacing the sound as I’ve said above I am using and old Monster power block .

the amplifier is not plugged into the monster block it’s coming straight from the wall plug but the rest of my gear is plugged into the monster block

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A computer UPS with voltage regulation and surge protection will do. The battery capacity is irrelevant. It's just to give you couple of minutes time to turn of your gear during power outages/brownouts.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
At least it proves they have put a good qaulity protection circuit in the amp, would'nt expect anything less to be fair with that amp

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'm just saying what's the smart thing to do. I obviously don't follow that. I open new amps the day I buy them. *crazy*

Thus instantly invalidating your warranty if tamper-proof fixings are used to hold the casework in place?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Vladimir said:

Thus instantly invalidating your warranty if tamper-proof fixings are used to hold the casework in place?

Yup.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Modified Linn amp. I think the warranty is void here.

What were Linn thinking of! You can get self-adhesive damping panels (used inside car doors and some thin walled speaker cabinets) that would damp that casing nicely and be far neater than squirting white sealant everywhere!

As for the little tins full of sand ...

TRENDING THREADS