Amplifier Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I have only this week bought a Denon PMA520AE Amplifier to allow me to hook up my media PC, TV and web radio to. The Amp is running to a set of JBL Control One speakers. I had intended running the sound from my PS3 through the TV.

Needless to say, I now know that an amp is not suitable for this set up, given that the inputs are specifically designed for Phono, Tape, and so on. I simply thought I could get away with using the said inputs for my other devices.

Can anyone recommend a solution? Would an AV Receiver suffice? I'm not fussed about having the loudest sound in the world, just something that will play my music collection well, and sound good with movies/tv etc, AND give me the abiity to change inputs for the TV, Radio, PC, etc.

Best wishes

David

A

Anonymous

I agree with the above reply. I'm using a hifi amp for computer audio, also into JBL Control 1s. Shouldn't be any trouble at all, just a matter of cabling. My only other problem is my wife perpetually asking me to turn it down.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You might want to consider using a DAC with multiple optical/SPDIF inputs + USB to connect your digital sources (TV, media PC, PS3, web radio?) to the analogue line inputs (CD or AUX) of your amplifier. Something like a second hand Cambridge Audio DACMagic might do the trick for not much outlay.

Then again there are lots of good deals at the moment on AV receivers with all those digital inputs (and HDMI) and networking (music streaming + internet radio) capability for less than £200 so you could replace both your amp and web radio with one of those!!?!

T

the record spot

Something like the Onkyo TX8050 would do the trick for you, but depends if your dealer has one. Same sort of price, but heaps of connectivity and ace functionality. Great sound quality too, so it's a bit of a win-win. Four digital inputs that you can configure for the relevant source. Web radio, Spotify onboard, 100wpc, can take a power amp and a subwoofer too....you should probably get one in the sales for a good price. Or have a word with your dealer who might be able to order one for you.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys - thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond. I can get all three working with the CD, Tape and Aux inputs as suggested by the first replier.

I had initially tested it with one of these from my PC, worked a treat. I then thought how great an idea it would be to plug my Pure Evoke Flow Web Radio into the Phono port - sounded dreadful so stopped, did some homework, and then realised this wasn't the done thing
doh.gif
. I read that this can damage the unit - I don't know if this is the case as I've not dared go near it again, but the other ports work perfectly.

Based upon my very lightweight audio needs (well, compared with some of you guys) then perhaps an AV receiver would give me a bit more flexibility with inputs, and as suggested, Internet Radio.

Spent 175 Euros on the Denon (live in Germany now), and if I do decide against keeping it, then i wouldn't want to go much over 200 if I went for an AV Reciever. Some thinking to do........

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts