Amplifier help for Wharfedale Pacific Evo 20 speakers

calluless

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've got a pair of Wharfedale Pacific Evo 20s running off a Pioneer a445 bi-wired, I'm looking for a new amplifier as this one is starting to go a bit dodgy. I was looking at both new and 2nd hand amplifiers in the £300 ish range I was considering either the Marantz pm6005, the cyrus 6vs2 or a variety of rotels. I'd quite like an amplifier with a remote control and bi-wirable. What do you think or are there any other amplifiers I should consider?

Welcome to the madhouse.

Have heard the Evo 30s (not 20s) a few years back, it was powered by a Rotel (I think) and sounded really good. The older generation of Wharfedales I've owned (Linton XP2 and E20) were all driven by Pioneer amp.

The best suggestion is to find a Richer Sounds and listen to the newer generation of Pioneers, along with Marantz and Arcam.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Whilst I rarely condone blind purchasing, a Marantz PM7200 has worked wonders with them to my ears, especially in Class A mode. If you can find the KI signature then you're in for an even bigger treat. If you really enjoyed the sound your Pioneer put out then Try looking for others higher up the chain, I heard a Pioneer A-777 and it was absolutely incredible for the price (£259, mint).

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I cannot talk for the Evo 20s, but I have the Evo 30s running on a Naim 62/150x combo. They were a secondhand buy from a mate and have been most impressive. If the 20s are similar then perhaps my experience will also benefit you. They seem quite power hungry, but sound great. I use a set of Dynaudio Excite X12 as well, and I could not tell you which I preferred. My mate had a lower powered amplifier, and it was either the power or the fact that they are a more difficult load that meant he struggled with a lean sound and a lack of presence. I suggest you need quite a tolerant amplifier with varying loads and something with a bit of wellie.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a set of evo2-20's on a Marantz PM7003. Which sounds excellent. This amp is a bit more powerful than the PM6005, although I don't think that the evo's are very power hungry. A PM6004/6005 should be able to handle the Wharfedale's easily. Perhaps you can try your new amp at home (preferably) or you can take your Wharfedale's to a hifi store for a good listen.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Peter Kudelstaart said:
I have a set of evo2-20's on a Marantz PM7003. Which sounds excellent. This amp is a bit more powerful than the PM6005, although I don't think that the evo's are very power hungry. A PM6004/6005 should be able to handle the Wharfedale's easily. Perhaps you can try your new amp at home (preferably) or you can take your Wharfedale's to a hifi store for a good listen.

Correction: I don't have Evo2-20's, but Evo 2-10's. My apologies for the typo.

calluless

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, cheers for the help narrows it down a little. Was thinking that I would just have to trial them till I find something I like!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts