Amplifier for Musical Fidelity M1-DAC

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
My current system comprises a Sonos Connect with S-PDIF out to a recently acquired Musical Fidelity M1-DAC, a Marantz PM-6004 amp and Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. I've been thinking of upgrading the amp and speakers (perhaps to get the most out of the M1-DAC as the "source") and I was wondering if anyone has any views about which amp would suit the M1-DAC. Obviously I need to listen to a few but it helps to start with a shortlist based on perceived compatability with the M1-DAC.

I am looking at amps in the £500-£1000 bracket. I noticed the what hi-fi review of the M1-DAC mentioned the Naim Nait XS as suitable but that's outside my price bracket. This months edition review amps in my price range and the arcam fmj a19 came out on top. Is that likely to be a suitable match for the M1-DAC? Or perhaps the Naim Nait 5i would work. The other option is the MF M3i but I haven't seen a what hi-fi review of that.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Mike

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The M3i has been well reviewed elsewhere, so should be on your list, along with Brio R, A19, HK990 and possibly Peachtree Nova 125.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The MF 3i would be the logical choice but I'll throw another option into the mix - the NAD 375BEE which is rated at 150wpc. Plenty of power and drive and its slightly bright presentation could be a good foil for the mellow M1 DAC.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
It is not the dac that needs to be matched to the amp, particularly, but the amp to the speakers. There is no point getting a new amp for the BX2s at present, the PM6004 will be fine. Someone else said as much in another recent thread.

Decide what speakers you want to audition, which you think will work well in your room - maybe MA RX for a start - then get advice on an amp to match up.

And don't fret about it, most gear is very competent, differences are small and are emphasised by necessity by reviewers. Speakers have the biggest differences between them and are the most important to suit to your tastes and room. Digital sources can be pretty hard to tell apart, even sighted. "Perceived compatibility" with the amp is not the place to start, try an alternative digital source into your present system if you can and see if you can notice much difference. These days, in digital source systems, it's "speakers first".

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
datay said:
It is not the dac that needs to be matched to the amp, particularly, but the amp to the speakers. There is no point getting a new amp for the BX2s at present, the PM6004 will be fine. Someone else said as much in another recent thread.

Decide what speakers you want to audition, which you think will work well in your room - maybe MA RX for a start - then get advice on an amp to match up.

And don't fret about it, most gear is very competent, differences are small and are emphasised by necessity by reviewers. Speakers have the biggest differences between them and are the most important to suit to your tastes and room. Digital sources can be pretty hard to tell apart, even sighted. "Perceived compatibility" with the amp is not the place to start, try an alternative digital source into your present system if you can and see if you can notice much difference. These days, in digital source systems, it's "speakers first".

I take your point. I am also planning to replace my speakers - perhaps I should consider those first. Given that my room is fairly small and the layout doesn't really suit floorstanders I'll be looking at standmounters. The Kef ls50s are near the top of the list.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts