Amplifier for Magneplanar speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I would love to see what the difference the MG12's give over the MMG's as AFAIK they are basically the same (Quasi-Ribbon), apart from bigger panels on the 12's. The 1.7's have the true ribbon IIRC as well.

I believe that Magnepan have updated the MG12 to '.7' spec and also updated the MMG's as well.

Would love to hear the MMGs and MG12s with some big valve amp 8)

no true ribbon in 1.7. for that feature you should look at the Mini System or 3.7 (not mentioning 20.7! :grin: ).

bigger panel's duty is only deeper bass. so you may just as well not find much difference between your MMG and MG12.

as for updating MG12 to .7 spec; as long you have the QR version there's not much to update. now they make the bass/mid-bass panel at Magnepan with aluminum ribbon. before it was copper wire (not good idea as it was falling away in time and also the aluminum ribbon is lighter).

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
godfer said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
godfer said:
I had a brief listen to the 1.7's also! They were even BETTER! If I can find the pennies, I will!!!

don't be tempted to have any quick listens to MG3.7 then :twisted:

If I could, I would. I can but imagine how special they are! The 12's were great - listened for a good few hours. Jon (the dealer) hooked the 1.7's up at the last minute - they offered even greater clarity and control of the lower mid-bass!

I will buy a pair - ideally the 1.7's!

good for you!

I'm "forced" to live with my MG12 for the moment. but upgrading to 3.7 at some stage is definitely in the pipeline 8) .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
I'm "forced" to live with my MG12 for the moment. but upgrading to 3.7 at some stage is definitely in the pipeline 8) .

This should come with a compulsory notice:

WARNING! This Pipeline is never-ending and may prove financially / domestically hazardous; and will, in all likelihood, lead to addictive tendencies. :twisted:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
oldric_naubhoff said:

This should come with a compulsory notice:

WARNING! This Pipeline is never-ending and may prove financially / domestically hazardous; and will, in all likelihood, lead to addictive tendencies. :twisted:

:rofl:

but not in my case CNO. it has been already decided. if I overcome my financial and space related constraints the 3.7s will be my exit speaker (unless I end up as a filthy rich old fart :grin: ). either them or Quads 2912. price difference is not huge between those two.

I must admit that the ride is thrilling. but it has to end someday, somewhere. and for me that's where the limit lies.

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I'm getting the MG12's on Friday to evaluate in my system for a week - Jon at Doug Brady's knows what he's doing, the sneaky sod! The 1.7's would be my 'ideal' choice (I expect)...in the brief listen I had, they were immediately superior to the MG12's - offering even greater depth and resolution, especially in the upper Bass!

I simply cannot wait to get hold of 'em!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts