Amplifier for Magneplanar speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just bought the Magneplanar MG12 (really love the Magneplanar sound), but need a higher power amplifier to drive it. Currently using a valve amp with 40watts. Not enough power. Just a couple of questions .

1) Is the Myryad MXI2150 suitable for this speaker?

2) What other amp would you recommend for this speaker?

Thanks 

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello and welcome.

I cant say i know much about the Magneplanar MG12 speaker or how the Myryad MXI2150 will work with them but i've read some great reviews lately about the Musical Fidelity 550k supercharger and how they work very well with low power amps especially valve amps.

May be this is a possibility.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I believe the MF supercharger is a little over my budget. Any idea what other amplifier will be good. The Magneplanar specs is as follows. The speaker sound beautiful but unfortunately it needs lots more power than my 40 watts valve amp.ÿ

System Description: Two-Way Full Range Quasi Ribbon/Planar-Magneticÿ

Dipole Radiatorÿ

Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHzÿ ñ3dBÿ

Recommended Power: 100 to 250W @8 Ohms.ÿÿ

Sensitivity: 86dB @2.83V/1 Meter/500Hzÿ

Impedance: 4 Ohmsÿ

Bass-radiating area: 8-1/2" X 43-1/2"ÿ

Quasi Ribbon Tweeter Size: 2" X 38"ÿ

Crossover System: 600Hz (Acoustical)ÿ

Dimensions: 17" W X 52-1/2" H X 1-1/2" Dÿ

A

Anonymous

I also considered a pair of maggies.....but got turned off for exactly the same reasons you have listed. I had just bought my quads so wasnt going to change them. Anyway, back to your original post.........did you demo them?....and if you did what amp were they connected to...it must have impressed so why not use that as your starting point......

A

Anonymous

I wonder what Magneplaner's would sound like with an Plinius amp? I ask as I am starting to think about upgrading my current speakers (I have a Plinius 9200 amp). I heard Magnaplaners at a show, and they were fabulous but as you say, require a fairy powerful amp.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
alowe:
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I believe the MF supercharger is a little over my budget. Any idea what other amplifier will be good. The Magneplanar specs is as follows. The speaker sound beautiful but unfortunately it needs lots more power than my 40 watts valve amp.ÿ

System Description: Two-Way Full Range Quasi Ribbon/Planar-Magneticÿ

Dipole Radiatorÿ

Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHzÿ ñ3dBÿ

Recommended Power: 100 to 250W @8 Ohms.ÿÿ

Sensitivity: 86dB @2.83V/1 Meter/500Hzÿ

Impedance: 4 Ohmsÿ

Bass-radiating area: 8-1/2" X 43-1/2"ÿ

Quasi Ribbon Tweeter Size: 2" X 38"ÿ

Crossover System: 600Hz (Acoustical)ÿ

Dimensions: 17" W X 52-1/2" H X 1-1/2" Dÿ

Hello again,

What budget did you have in mind? The Myryad you mentioned i found online for £1600. Theres also the MF k550 for £1300 from Lintone Audio with 2 year warranty.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
you want an amp that is happy driving 2 ohm loads, they dont come cheap.

I would be heading to a krell 400....2cnd hand about 1200-1500.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I only heard Magneplanars once (about an hour) with Audio Research pre-amplification and Krell mono power amps. (Oracle Delphi turntable, Infinity Black Widow arm, and Koetsu Red Signature cartridge.)

I would not dare to presume which particular brand or type of amp would be best but something pretty-damned-good. (Maybe the Krell integrated a previous poster suggested?)

In the meantime you could read Magnepan's thoughts on the subject....

http://www.magnepan.com/faq#equipment

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response. When I audition it, the were being driven by a pair of Xindak mono amplifier. Not sure how realiable they are...

Very good system you have there...ÿ

A

Anonymous

With regards to the Plinius, I believe there is a review on the Magneplanar, the reviewer did use the Plinius amplifier, but not sure which model. So believe it might go well together.

The reason why I'm looking at the Myryad MXI2150 is because I'm can get a very good deal of about half the price for a demo unit.ÿBy the way, I'm in Australia. ÿ

As for the budget, maybe about GBP1000.ÿ

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
seasiders rock:
emotion-11.gif
you want an amp that is happy driving 2 ohm loads, they dont come cheap.

I would be heading to a krell 400....2cnd hand about 1200-1500.

emotion-21.gif
my thought too.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
alowe:
With regards to the Plinius, I believe there is a review on the Magneplanar, the reviewer did use the Plinius amplifier, but not sure which model. So believe it might go well together.

The reason why I'm looking at the Myryad MXI2150 is because I'm can get a very good deal of about half the price for a demo unit.ÿBy the way, I'm in Australia. ÿ

As for the budget, maybe about GBP1000.ÿ

New powerfull amps for 1k are few and far between here's 2 that maybe a possibility.

Leema Pulse 1100GBP. Spec.

Frequency Response +/- 3 dB @ 1 W
5 Hz - 80 kHz
Output Power into 8 O 80 W RMS per channel
Output Power into 4 O 150 W RMS per channel
Minimum load impedance 4 O Output Current
Greater than +/- 12 A
Noise (A weighted, minimum volume) -95 dBm
Signal to Noise ratio (A weighted, ref: 150 W RMS, 4 O)-100 dB
T.H.D. (10 W RMS, 4 O, 1 kHz)0.008%
T.H.D. (Max output before clipping, 4 O, 1 kHz)0.010%
Maximum DC offset+/- 15 mV
Sensitivity for maximum output (CD input)565 mV RMS
Sensitivity for maximum outputs (other inputs)311 mV RMS
Output Impedance 0.43 O
Damping Factor (8 O) 185

Harman Kardon HK990 1000GBP. Spec.

Type : Integrated amplifier
Power (FTC) / 20Hz - 20kHz, 8 ohms, both channels driven : 2 x 150W @ 8 ohms/2 x 300W @ 4 ohms
High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC) : ñ100 Amps
Ultrawide Bandwidth @ 1W (+0, -3dB) : 10Hz - 170kHz
Discrete Amplifier Output Devices : Yes
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A) : 109dB
EzSet : EzSet/EQT, 2.2-channel
Audio Inputs : 8
Tape Monitor Loop : Yes
Phono Input : Yes, MM and MC
Digital Audio Inputs : Rear panel:
2x coax
2x optical
Processor Input : Yes, 2.2-channel
Balanced XLR Inputs : Yes
HRS Link : Yes
Digital Audio Outputs (Coax/Optical) : Rear panel 1/0
Preamp Outputs : Yes
Subwoofer Output : Yes, dual
Power Requirement : AC 220V - 240V/50Hz
Power Consumption : 800W max
IR In/Out Jacks : Yes
Dimensions (H x W x D) : 165mm x 440mm x 435mm

Hope this helps if your willing to go second hand the options are greater bur remember these amps need to be auditioned with the speaker.

A

Anonymous

Hi All,Thanks very much for all your replies.ÿ

What about the Quad 909 or Quad 99 mono amplifiers? Do you think if will be a good match with the Magneplanar?

ÿ

A

Anonymous

hi

just joined the forum and very interested in Magneplanar MG12's myself.

Just read the reveiw in Hi Fi Choice - Feb 2010 of MG1.6 - very favourable - and note new stockist for Magneplanar - HiFi Sound, Stockton on Tees.

Curious to know where you bought your Maggies from? - Stone Audio seem to be the only other stockist in UK - hoping to auditon soon.

Under £1K amplifiers - possibly try Richer Sounds - the Cambridge 840 A V2 may be a contender - powerful - I have the version 1 they sold off for £500 and noted an improvement over my Naim 72 / 180 pre-power combo - much tighter bass and greater treble resolution - have also noted favourable reveiws of the Cambridge with Martin Logans.

Would like to hear from other Maggie owners in UK before I take the plunge - how do they compare to say Quad ESL63's which I love for openness and detail.?

Robin

A

Anonymous

Musical Fidelity A5 ... ebay item 330389761885 ... but it now of £1052 ... item is based in singapore, so shipping will be cheaper to OZ ... 250 watts @ 8 Ohms

Calaf MK1 200 Watt per channel integrated ... ebay item 140370889821 ... buy it now of £995 with 12 month warranty .... this would be my choice based on your £1000 budget .... This Consonance has received good reviews

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have just had the unbridled joyous good fortune to hear these incredible speakers at Doug Brady Hifi - they were driven by a Sonneteer Alabaster Integrated and were quite simply a revelation! What an incredibly sonorous sound! Believe me, these speakers are simply astounding!

I will be buying a pair the very moment funds allow. Jon at Doug Brady's is allowing an extended home Dem to confirm - I anticipate my Raymond Lumley M-75 Monoblocks will simply make these bad boys sing!

Audition ASAP! You will be amazed!!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
godfer said:
I have just had the unbridled joyous good fortune to hear these incredible speakers at Doug Brady Hifi - they were driven by a Sonneteer Alabaster Integrated and were quite simply a revelation! What an incredibly sonorous sound! Believe me, these speakers are simply astounding!

I will be buying a pair the very moment funds allow. Jon at Doug Brady's is allowing an extended home Dem to confirm - I anticipate my Raymond Lumley M-75 Monoblocks will simply make these bad boys sing!

Audition ASAP! You will be amazed!!!

Very good choice.

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a brief listen to the 1.7's also! They were even BETTER! If I can find the pennies, I will!!!

The 'space and air' they offer is utterly beguiling...I now fully appreciate what 'boxiness' means when reading speaker reviews.

A true epiphany!

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a brief listen to the 1.7's also! They were even BETTER! If I can find the pennies, I will!!!

The 'space and air' they offer is utterly beguiling...I now fully appreciate what 'boxiness' means when reading speaker reviews.

A true epiphany!

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
godfer said:

don't be tempted to have any quick listens to MG3.7 then :twisted:

If I could, I would. I can but imagine how special they are! The 12's were great - listened for a good few hours. Jon (the dealer) hooked the 1.7's up at the last minute - they offered even greater clarity and control of the lower mid-bass!

I will buy a pair - ideally the 1.7's!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see what the difference the MG12's give over the MMG's as AFAIK they are basically the same (Quasi-Ribbon), apart from bigger panels on the 12's. The 1.7's have the true ribbon IIRC as well.

I believe that Magnepan have updated the MG12 to '.7' spec and also updated the MMG's as well.

Would love to hear the MMGs and MG12s with some big valve amp 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts