Amplifier for B&W 685

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I run an Arcam Delta 290 with a pair of B&W 685's and think the combination sounds great. Reference a few other people's points, I think this amp is similar to the Alpha 9. Am I right? Anyone? :)

A

Anonymous

phil79:I run an Arcam Delta 290 with a pair of B&W 685's and think the combination sounds great. Reference a few other people's points, I think this amp is similar to the Alpha 9. Am I right? Anyone? :)

I have the Alpha 9 hooked up to the 685's in combination with the 8SE cdp, Nordost interconnects and QED cables.

After what feels like forever to get the speaker positioning right (honestly 1mm makes a difference) and everything run in, I can say that there's ample detail and a pleasant wholeness to the sound.

However this is not the most exciting combination around, particularly with some kinds of music. I think you could probably do better for a similiar price, an all Rega system for eg (RS1, Brio amp and Planet CDP) might be worth testing.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Captain Destructo:
phil79:I run an Arcam Delta 290 with a pair of B&W 685's and think the combination sounds great. Reference a few other people's points, I think this amp is similar to the Alpha 9. Am I right? Anyone? :)

I have the Alpha 9 hooked up to the 685's in combination with the 8SE cdp, Nordost interconnects and QED cables.

After what feels like forever to get the speaker positioning right (honestly 1mm makes a difference) and everything run in, I can say that there's ample detail and a pleasant wholeness to the sound.

However this is not the most exciting combination around, particularly with some kinds of music. I think you could probably do better for a similiar price, an all Rega system for eg (RS1, Brio amp and Planet CDP) might be worth testing.

IMO, with your set-up and being a fan of the Arcam Alpha 9 range and B&W speakers, i'd say your weak link is your CDP with regards to the soundstage.

If you can, compare your CDP with an Arcam CD72/73 or the Arcam CD192/92, or, if possible, the Rega Apollo CDP and youll see what I mean!

The Alpha 8SE CDP is ok but its not the best at opening up the soundstage to its fullest potential! You could also consider going down the external DAC route (C/A, Beresford).

Id also whole heartedly reccomend going down the Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable route and Crimson interconnects. These made hell of a difference when i swapped my QED cable for them with my Arcam alpha 9 system (integrated, power and CDP) with my M/A RS6 speakers.

A

Anonymous

I have an original Audiolab with 60 watts and the Marantz Cd600KI and the bass is amazing from the 685's on Soundstyle stands sitting on granite bases (£10 from Tesco). I was curious about all the hype about the Marantz CD6002 so I bought a second hand one to compare to my 600Ki. Well It is quite amazing how much more bass the 6002 puts out all very controlled and tight. I did find the 6002 a little brighter and more forward than the 6000KI which was a little uncomfortable compared to my KI. I swapped the silver interconnects a couple of times and settled on a pair of Atlas Equator interconnects which seemed to take the slight edge off the treble. I then put some acoustic rubber feet under the 6002 and a heavy glass worktop saver on the top of the player. I have to say that this player is better than the 600KI with amazing detail soundstage and bass. The treble has also softened and I am very pleased with the system.

For those saying about power I can see reasonable loud levels are 9'oclock and very loud is 10 o'clock. Hope this helps others to choose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts