Amplifier DAC?

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
So I was tidying up some cabled behind my amp this morning and discovered digital inputs/outputs. Does this mean my amp has an onboard DAC? It's a Pioneer A-Z370, the inputs/outputs can be seen on the top left of the amp:

65_1261418233.jpg

If it was an onboard DAC, would I get better sound running Toslink between the PC and the amp and letting it convert, or would I be better of sticking with my computer's integrated sound card? (currently run RCA between PC and amp)

I would give it a go, but I don't have any digital cables, and I don't want to splash out on any if I have this wrong. I looked up current amps, for example the Marantz PM6004, and that doesn't have any digital in/outs, so maybe I'm mistaken.

Thanks,

Joseph :)

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Doh! I forgot that you can substitute RCA cables instead of a dedicated digital coax cable, even though it isn't perfect. Anyway, I have sound using the digital input! I'm guessing this means my amp has an onboard DAC? Wow! I thought it was a cheapo throwaway :O

Not sure how it compares to using my computer's soundcard though, hmm :?

Edit: Switching between Direct Mode and standard mode seems to cause a bright arcing effect inside my amplifier! On occaision, when I toggle between the two modes a blue spark is visible inside. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, I had a Dyson that did that for years, every time you turned it on. One day, it blew up but there was little damage done, save an imprint of the front casing in my living room wall. For months people who came round for tea kept asking me where I got 'that lovely contemporary wall mural'. I told them it was painted by 'A French feller called Dyson'. They'd then ask why his last name was "ROOT CYCLONE TECHNOLOGY". Modern art, I told them.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
theexcitableboy said:
Switching between Direct Mode and standard mode seems to cause a bright arcing effect inside my amplifier! On occaision, when I toggle between the two modes a blue spark is visible inside. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about

Unless it turns in to flaming orange of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts